Motherboard damaged by agp card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard damaged by agp card?

Last night I installed an Asrock 939dual board in a new case. In the manual it says not to use 3.3v agp cards because it can damage the motherboard. So I look up my agp card (geforce4 440mx) and find it's a x8, so has to be 1.5v right? So I think everything's ok. When I install this board and switch on, I get a slight crackling noise and a small puff of smoke from the agp card.

OK, I know that card is finished, but do you think I've damaged the mobo? It was an old video card so might have just died on its own right? There are no burn marks on the mobo. Would be gutted if that's gone as well. Could I have damaged the cpu or ram as well?

Thanks for any insight!

if i were u i would buy a new gfx card and mobo. because ASRock is shitty and i tell u because i have one.
    u can also test the mobo with another gfx card (from one of ur friends)...
    My sysProfile!

Comment

Hi Loodos

I don't really need that good a graphics card, I don't play games, just do lots of 2d image manipulation.

Why do you think asrock are no good?

Comment

because my asrock broke down. and i dont think that the brand itsself is very popular. anyway next time i wont buy an asrock mobo.
        My sysProfile!

Comment

I cannot complain about my ASRock board. It works very good. Better than my ECS Elitegroup Sh..t.

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
            because my asrock broke down. and i dont think that the brand itsself is very popular. anyway next time i wont buy an asrock mobo.
            Can I ask how long it took to break down?

Comment

after 10 months approximately...
              My sysProfile!

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
                after 10 months approximately...
                Normally if boards survive the first week they usually last a very long time, so that doesn't inspire much confidence...

Comment

You guys do realize that ASRock is owned by Asus, right? Having said that, ASRock, ECS, Biostar, etc are all cheap boards. They're not designed for performance enthusiasts by any means. They're ok boards for most people, but you'd probably be more likely to find a bad board with one of them than with a name brand. However, that's partly because - being cheap - they tend to sell a lot more of their boards. We carry ASRock and ECS at work, and while we have occassional glitches with them we don't tend to get that many returns. They're not a terrible brand by any means, but they are cheap for a reason. Forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

Working...
                  X