WinXP Repair, now Daemon won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP Repair, now Daemon won't boot

Ok, I've looked all over these forums for a good hour now trying to find a solution to this problem. But all I seem to see are people directing others to the "manual uninstall". Which doesn't seem to work (for me anyway).

So basically, XP got F'd in the A. So i had to do a repair. Did the repair. Booted back into XP. Oh hello, Daemon tools has a problem now. Can't uninstall it, can't run it. Can't reinstall it, Can't repair it. It doesn't even appear on the add/remove programs list.

Has ANYONE got a suggestion to solving this problem apart from renaming/deleting the driver files from windows/system32/drivers/ ???
    Would be a BIG help. As this is really peeving me off. To put it delicately.

EDIT: I have found a solution!
    Here's what I did, in case someone else needs this and might find it useful:
    1) Move daemon.exe from your installed program folder to somewhere else (I used desktop)
    2) Move the following files from WINDOWS/System32/Drivers/ to somewhere else (Again, I used desktop):
    dtscsi.sys, sptd3229.sys, sptd.sys
    I advise you to keep a copy of these moved programs somewhere. I'm keeping them in a folder called "backup" in the daemon tools installed folder and it doesn't seem to matter.
    3)Download the latest Daemon tools and install SPTD, reboot when instructed
    4)Repair/Install Daemon tools worked for me, but I supposed an uninstall then a fresh install would work too.

Voila! Working Daemon Tools again
    Thanks to all the people on this website, who's threads gave me the idea of moving stuff apart from the .sys files. Moving the .exe means daemon cannot boot. I do the same thing with windows messenger! Stupid thing... won't stop running on startup

oh well. Anyway, enjoy my solution! Perhaps a mod could add this to the manual uninstallation thread to help others in future!
    Last edited by christov; 20.02.2006, 14:36. Reason: Found a solution!

he he You can remove the messenger startup entry in the registry here:
    HKLM/Software/microsoft/windows/CurrentVersion/Run/ it should not start after deleting the relevant key!

Comment

I have exact the same problem, except for me your workaround didnt work.

I am stuck in an infinitive loop of installing D-Tools. Whenever I try to install it, it says to continue installation I need to reboot, so I do, and after it the install process begins again from start, and tells me I need to reboot to continue installation.
      I also got the SPTD driver executable, to ensure, the driver is properly installed, but when I say "remove" after I rebooted with the D-Tools installation it tells me SPTD isn't installed. Even if I "add" the driver and then execute the install routine, it won't work.

So right now, I am totally stuck, I don't know what to do, because I already deleted the directory of D-Tools and every single hint of it in the registry, even the SPTD driver from the windows directory, so it should look like I never installed D-Tools on my system ergo a new install should run smoothly, which isn`t the case.

I need some help, because I need a virtual drive, because most of my application I use, need an image mounted. Plus I don't wanna relay on Alcohol 120%.

Comment

On Repair Installs of XP

Whenever you do a 'Repair Install' of XP, you HAVE to uninstall Daemon-Tools, Alcohol 120%, or any other proggies that have installed virtual drives, whether you are using them or not. (No problem with Nero v6.xx. That can be left). THEN do the repair install, and THEN install Alcohol 120% & Daemon-Tools, or any other virtual drive proggies. This will prevent a LOT of problems. By the by, the XP proggie checker will NOT find this problem before you do an upgrade or 'repair install'!!!

Hope this helps someone

IMHO
        isepiq
        IMHO
        isepiq

Comment

Working...
        X