No announcement yet.

i cant find my cd-rom or burner in my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please post any other burning software installed.

Please also go into device mananger, goto your cdrom properties, and click driver details. Post all drivers listed.

Comment

i have blindwrite installed as well.

for drivers...i have:
      c:\windows2\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
      c:\windows2\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
      c:\windows2\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
      c:\windows2\system32\storprop.dll

plz hurry with the response...i have 3 hours until my dad gets home and when he finds out the cd drive is fucked im dead :x

Comment

This is a software issue. You should try unininstalling blindwrite. Do you see any errors in cdrom properties?

At worst, a format should fix your problem.

Comment

If his dad returns and sees drive is formatted - he's dead twice. :lol:

Comment

there are no problems with the cd drive (physically);
            INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
            the drivers are all installed properly, before i uninstalled clonecd, i could still create an image file from a cd in the drive and before i uninstalled nero,infotool still showed the cd drive, but the drive letter was @:\ where it used to be e:\. the only problem i have is windows (fucking bloatware shit) doesnt know where it is. im thinking that i need to assign it a drive letter but im not sure how to do that in winxp :\

i uninstalled nero, uninstalled the cdrom drive, rebooted, let windows do its shit, rebooted again and still nothing...and formatting isnt an option at this point (80gb hard drive and i have to have this working in...*looks at watch* 20 minutes tops).

Comment

Click start, run, type diskmgmt.msc, click ok. From here you can change drive letters.

Comment

what i meant was ADD drive letters and i figured it out on my own already

diskmgmt.msc only lets you change the drive letters (unless i missed something);
                INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
                so this is what you have to do:
                1) Open the command prompt (start->run, type cmd and click ok)
                2) Type in diskpart and hit enter. this brings up what i think is winxp's version of the old fdisk command, but that might not be right...
                3) type list volume at the prompt. this will list ALL the drives/partitions that are attatched to the computer, not just the ones windows recognizes.
                4) type in select volume #, where # is the number of the volume you want to modify.
                5) now, from here you can do two things, remove letter=x or assign letter=x, where x is the drive letter you want to assign/remove (and i hope you know which command does which).
                6) your drive should now appear in my computer and be accessible from the drive letter you specified.

andareed, thanks for all the help, i appreciate it. i hope the above helps someone else (it is in windows help, under Assign, Change or Remove a Drive Letter if you want a different explaination). thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Not sloved! have tried all suggestions in all forums. CDRW not visible in XP

The problem is this
                  I cannot see the CD-RW icon in My Computer
                  Yellow icon in device manager against the drive name.
                  Description shows
                  "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

This happened after i upgraded to the WinXP from Win98
                  The drive had worked perfectly for past 4 years...till now. and now also I used it to install the same WinXP....10 min ago!!! So drive failure ruled out. BIOS shows drive correctly.
                  SysConfig:
                  Win XP SP2
                  AMD 2000
                  LG 52X-32X-10X CD-RW GCE8525B
                  This is What I have tried so far - and prblem not solved yet:
                  1. Rebooting : Didnt help
                  2. Removing and Reinstalling the drive in Device Manager : Not useful - it reloads the old drivers
                  3. Upgrading the driver : Win says it is having the best driver . will not upgrade.
                  4. The registry edit suggested on the various forums, including this one.
                  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}"
                  Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/
                  In this I can not find the reg values mentioned .
                  UpperFilters and LowerFilters,
                  I searched. They are not present.!!!!
                  5. I have considered another solution suggested: The device Firmware upgrade for the CD-RW drive itself !! Found it on LG site. The warnings on the site freaked me out.... Will it be really required ??
                  Now
                  I request all you good people out there to suggest me further.
                  I do not wish to re-install. Somehow i suspect a re-install will give same problem again. I am very scared to do that drive hardware upgrade . it may spoil the drive permanently.
                  Is a good driver of GCE8525B available for WindowsXP-SP2
                  and Is ther a way to force system to take this new driver?
                  Thanks

Comment

Upgrades are a bad idea. Anytime someone wants to upgrade their OS, I always recommend they do a fresh install for just this very reason. I wish you luck in finding a solution, but my suggestion would be to skip the troubleshooting and just format the drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X