Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Release DT with BT?

New User

Default Release DT with BT?

Why not make DT releases available via BitTorrent? That should take some load off your servers. It's good enough for OpenOffice.org and Linux ISOs so why not DT too.

Experienced User

DT is only 1.5 MB, while linux iso's are usually full 700 MB CD's or even DVD's.
    And with BitTorrent there's always a risk that someone uploads a fake file containing a trojan or virus.

Experienced User

Right, so when you download it direct from the mirrors here you can be sure that there no viruses or trojans in it.
    You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
    sysProfile (Click me)

Experienced User

naw, they just get the adware ;p
    /me runs

Setup is digitally signed so you can right-click -> properties -> digitial signatures -> double click on "DAEMON Tools Code Signing Services" and check integrity.

Experienced User

I also think that a BT release i a good idea. If the torrent comes from this website the hashes make sure that only the real content gets downloaded. The size of the file is also no problem, since BT can handle all sizes efficiently. The updates and plugins of Azureus for example are distributed via BT and most of them are only about 700kb in size.

Many big companies (Blizzard, ...) as well as Opensource Projects (Linux, ...) now use BT for distributing their software.

TRANSLATOR OFFICIAL TRANSLATOR

it isn't really nescessary in my opinion.....if you cant download it today from the mirrors why not try it tomorrow?? i can wait one day

Experienced User

Thats not the point of view, its the bandwidth that will be saved from the server. 1,4MB (DT) to 35kb (BT file) !
    You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
    sysProfile (Click me)

Experienced User

It would be more conveniant, but the risks are too big. In reality, how many users will check the digital signiture, or the MD5 Hash of a file downloaded from BT? In the end, the DT forum will have more problems with people complaining about various trojans and viruses being installed along side DT.

New User

Think again of OpenOffice.org and Linux. Go to oooforum.org and see how many there have had virus/trojan problems arising from the use of BitTorrent. If someone can inject a trojan in a DT torrent with the .torrent and tracker at this site, think of how much worse it would be if someone injected a rootkit in your operating system. Would Debian offer their ISOs via BT if they considered it risky? Check out http://forums.debian.net/ and see how many issues you can find. Debian is so conservative that their stable kernel is still 2.6.8, and Debian stable still has XFree86 instead of X.org. Being so conservative is why the Debian backports site exists. So once again, if it's good enough for OOo and Debian, why isn't it good enough for Daemon Tools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast