No announcement yet.

noob question , adware in daemon tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question , adware in daemon tools?

hey this may be a noob question , but is there adware installed with daemon tools , because avast and trend micro found 2 ADW_SAVENOW.BD ,

Yes, since v4.0x Daemon Tools contains optional adware to offer another way to support development.
    If you don't want to install the adware, disable Daemon Tools Search Bar in installation dialog, or cancel WhenU EULA.
    If you already installed the adware, it can be removed via control panel -> software add/remove anytime.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Cannot Complete Download without disabling Antivirus!

Originally Posted by Copytrooper View Post
      Yes, since v4.0x Daemon Tools contains optional adware to offer another way to support development.
      If you don't want to install the adware, disable Daemon Tools Search Bar in installation dialog, or cancel WhenU EULA.
      If you already installed the adware, it can be removed via control panel -> software add/remove anytime.
      That sounds great and I applaud the whole idea. No worries about adware which is truly opt-in. But one problem....

Without totally disabling my antivirus protection, I cannot actually download Daemon Tools. Why not? Well, I use Avast! Home. In order to allow download of a file which includes adware, I have to include the URL in the exceptions. That works great when there is a fixed download URL, but for Daemon Tools, each time I put the exception into Avast!, the download site changes.

Chasing my tail here. Is there somewhere I can download the install file which has a FIXED URL? Can't believe Daemon requires disabling antivirus so I assume there is a fixed URL download somewhere, but I can't find it!

Comment

Is there any way to add a complete domain (such as disc-soft.com) or wildcards (such as disc-soft.com/*) to Avast's exception list? I'm not trying to put this off as "not our problem", but I think this is Avast's fault - both using Adware and dynamic URLs is perfectly legitimate in my book. Maybe you could ask in Avast's forums as well, there might be ways to prevent this behavior on Avast's side (which would be a nicer solution since it would fix the problem rather than suppress the symptom).
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Complete domain name/Wildcard Exceptions

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer View Post
          Is there any way to add a complete domain (such as disc-soft.com) or wildcards (such as disc-soft.com/*) to Avast's exception list?
          Yes and no. You can add a basic domain name but that doesn't solve the problem I am suggesting you fix! One problem is simply that the download site changes each time you try to download. Apparently, that is how disc-tools.com works. Compare that with downloading sourceforge.net files where you can choose a download site (to improve speed and to spread the load) but once chosen, the URL remains the same.

Anyway, by repeatedly trying and including exceptions, I got it downloaded so now I can go and remove all the exceptions.

I'll put this in the Avast! wishlist as you suggest - it is weird that Alwil Software don't allow it to be disabled, but that may be an enticement to buy the Pro version. Those of us using Avast! are aware that it is now one of the very few remaining fully functional (including auto-update of definitions and engine), well developed truly free anti-malware products available so this will rate as a minor annoyance as disc-tools.com is one of the few download sites that causes this problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. For others with the same problem, I suggest you keep trying and including all the disc-tools sites in exceptions until you get a repeat

Comment

Avast! Exception that works

OK, I've been testing and I will post this as a main thread to aid searching, but here is the method to allow avast! Home to download Daemon Tools from disc-tools.com :

1. Click your blue ball (yeah, avast! users should know what that means).
            2. In dialog that opens, on left, select Web Shield (it's probably at the bottom of the list).
            3. Near top, click Customize.
            4. In dialog that opens, click the Exceptions tab.
            5. Under 1. URLs to exclude, click Add.
            6. In exceptions box, type the following exactly:
            Code:
            http://mirror?.disc-tools.com*
            and press the Enter key.
            7. Then click OK to close dialog and accept changes.
            8. Then click OK to close the main dialog.

Now go and use the normal download procedure. Once finished, if you want to remove the exception, simply repeat steps 1 - 4, select that URL you typed, click Remove, then steps 7 & 8.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't work, either you are typing the wrong URL (check carefully) or you haven't updated avast!.

Comment

Working...
            X