"Unable to open file in kernel mode"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unable to open file in kernel mode"

I have some ISOs on a share on a Windows Server 2008 x64 fileserver, when I try mounting them with Daemon Tools 4.30.3 on a freshly reformatted laptop (Toshiba Tecra M4, running Windows XP TabletPC Edition 2005 with SP3) I get this error page:

---------------------------
    DAEMON Tools Lite
    Unable to mount image. Unable to open file in kernel mode.
    OK

Re: "Unable to open file in kernel mode" _

Do you have anydvd installed? Does this test iso image mount successfully when copied to the file server?

Maybe network permissions are a problem.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

The workaround is if I open another file in the share in say, notepad. (Like if there was a text file in the same directory as the ISO). I can then load the ISO from Daemon Tools.

Weird.

Comment

Do you have a persistent (across reboots) drive letter assigned to the network location? Do you get asked for credentials after each reboot?
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I don't access it via a mapped network drive, but my computer and the server are all in the same domain (the WS2008 file server is also the domain controller)

Comment

Besides assigning a persistent drive letter, I'm out of ideas.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I have the same isseu running under vista SP1.

Have assigned a static drive letter but no joy. The odd this is that my laptop works with no issue again running Vista SP1 same user connected to the same share.

Comment

swinster, do you have anydvd or some other kind of dvd copying software installed? The test iso image fails to mount also ?
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I have software like AstroBurn and ImgBurn on the machine, but also have this on the laptop with no issue. Will try the test ISO later.

After re-booting the macine the image would mount successfully.

Comment

Working...
                  X