Recommended drives for Securom 7 / 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended drives for Securom 7 / 8

Is there any drive you can recommend for DPM measuring?
    I tried Medal of Honor special edition and got a 9 kb .mds file out. Not working, backup is detected (even with cloaked drives).
    I got me the .mds from GCW and all is fine (14 KB).. I would like to buy a drive that properly supports DPM measurement and would be happy if you guys could give me a good hint. Due to the fact that alot of SROM clones get released I guess there must be some good drives for the job. Thanks in advance.

My current drives are:
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D (takes hours from DPM stuff!)
    TSSTcorp SH-S182 (used to create the MOH image that didnt work)

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by KlausM View Post
    TSSTcorp SH-S182 (used to create the MOH image that didnt work)
    Which program and settings did you use ?
    I'm asking because according to this post that drive (if not worn out/defective) should work for DPMs.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

I used the current alcohol 120% as trial with "Securom" profile. Indeed the TSSTcorp SH-S182 is enlisted in the alcohol compatibility list but I have revision "D". The one from the post your directed too is "M".

Comment

Afaik D and M models share the same chipset - only difference is that M have Lightscribe.

Anyway, have you already tried different DPM speed settings ?

Please also stop all dispensable programs/services (at least the demanding ones), or in general: create as little CPU load as possible and leave the PC alone during the DPM.
        If that doesn't help please also try with DAEMON Tools Pro, New SecuROM profile.

Regarding your original question: i haven't purchased a drive the last 12 months, so i can't recommend a current model based on my own experience.
        But my guess (no guarantee ) is that current LGs with Reneseas chipset, LiteOns with Mediatek or NEC chipset and Sony Optiarcs with NEC chipset are capable - of course there are also others.
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thanks Terramex.
          Can the DT staff maybe recommend drives for the job?
          I guess the developers or support staff could make excellent recommendations due to the DT qa process. I am thankfull for any kind of hint.

Comment

LG GH20NS10 is producing excellent DPMs here on my computer.
            Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
            Peace Through Power

Comment

Hi
              Some people told that any DVD Region should be specified for the virtual drive for MOH.
              In case the image was created very fast, it seems that your drive cannot slow down reading speed and most probably such image will not work.
              Toshiba SD-M1712 drive is good device for creating of disc images with DPM info as for me.
              Optimal DPM speed is 6-8x I think. Nothing wrong if you use lower speed, it just takes more time for disc imaging.

Comment

Originally Posted by yorik View Post
                In case the image was created very fast, it seems that your drive cannot slow down reading speed and most probably such image will not work.
                In contrast to CDs you usually get better DVD measurements using Maximum speed.
                It's no rule without exception (i also still have an ancient SD-M 1712 ), but mostly true.

@KlausM
                Just one final remark: my "latest" drive capable of good DPMs is a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S.
                Still some reasonably priced *NEW* offers at ebay - btw. where are you from ?

Comment

Also PX-B940SA is very good and fast. Currently devs are working on the support of that drive.
                  Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                  Peace Through Power

Comment

Ok.. The price for the PX-B940SA is a bit outstanding atm. The other drives mentioned (LG GH20NS10, Sony Optiarc AD-7240S,Toshiba SD-M1712) are ok. I think I will get me either an LG or Optiarc but maybe someone else contributes drives beside these. Lets see!

@Terramex - Germany.

Comment

Originally Posted by KlausM View Post
                      @Terramex - Germany.
                      Ok, then you have a relatively wide choice at ebay or even some remainder at a retailer.

My first choice would be the LG GH20NS10 or LG GH20NS15 (or the equivalent Lightscribe models GH20LS10/15).

If only because of the slow recommended DPM speed (and the age!) i wouldn't go for the Toshiba.
                      Beyond that the DPM files of the LG and Optiarc IMO are better than the Toshiba ones - at least for DVDs.

P.S.: In a thread in the Customer forums a user also mentions the GH22NS40 as a good DPM device
                      Last edited by Terramex; 02.11.2010, 15:15.

Comment

Ok. I ordered the LG GH20NS10. Hopefully the DPM measuring stuff will be fine with it..Thanks for all recommendations

Comment

Ok.. Lately I also bought a OptiArc AD-7240S. The LG i ordered wasnt the one i got. I got a GH22NS50 delivered. The LG works quite good and fast for image creation.. I tried the OptiArc with some older securom title today (Call of Juarez) but it seems DT starts the dpm measurement and just freezes. I retried that several times. 0 Byte .mds is created but no action after that anymore (even the gui just updates time but the percents stay at 0). Even cancelling the whole thingy doesnt seem to work anymore. It just looks that the drive gets accessed and the whole thing freezes (although it seems that the drive aint accessed after about a minute anymore).I also tried different dpm speeds, same result. Anyone an idea what goes wrong here?

Comment

Same issue with other titles (e.g. your MoH) ?
                            You still have the LG and DPM works with Call of Juarez ?

Comment

I currently have the LG and OptiArc sitting in my pc. I did a couple of working images with the LG.
                              Today i tried the 1st image with the OptiArc and this problem appears. Didnt try the OptiArc with an other title yet.

I finally created the image with the LG drive (however, max dpm speed made the dpm creation freeze at 49%, i tried it with lowest dpm speed after that and it worked). So its not about this title, moreover the OptiArc that seems to freeze during dpm creation.

Comment

Working...
                              X