Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Best Audio Disc Image File Format

Frage Best Audio Disc Image File Format

I am making some audio CD disk images, and DAEMON Tools has defaulted to the MDX file format. Is this the best option for audio CDs?

It only has MDX, MDS or ISO.
    There is no BIN/CUE option, which is what I used to use for audio CDs, and I am pretty sure the ISO format doesn't support audio CDs.

Personally, I use Exact Audio Copy or CueRipper (from CueTools) for creating images of my CDs, mainly because it rips each track several times, and verifys that they are the same each time (aka Secure ripping).

Daemon Tools will be able to mount the Cue/Wav combination it produces, and you'll be able to burn it with Imgburn or the burning component of Daemon Tools pro.

Customer

Contentwise there is no difference between DAEMON Tools' proprietary image formats MDS and MDX,
    and there is no advantage or disadvantage compared to CUE/BIN - except compatibility.

Saying that in a neutral way, if you are a "purist" you might prefer the EAC/dBpoweramp/etc. way with Secure ripping.
    You won't hear a difference, but it will be as exact as it gets.
    And those programs use the more common CUE format.
    Last edited by Terramex : 07.03.2017 at 15:16
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
    Contentwise there is no difference between DAEMON Tools' proprietary image formats MDS and MDX,
    and there is no advantage or disadvantage compared to CUE/BIN - except compatibility.

Saying that in a neutral way, if you are a "purist" you might prefer the EAC/dBpoweramp/etc. way with Secure ripping.
    You won't hear a difference, but it will be as exact as possible.
    And those programs use the more common CUE format.
    I can't see how I can create CD ISO images using dBpoweramp. Can it even be done with EAC?
    How do I do it?

I've done it using UltraISO (BIN/CUE) and DAEMON Tools (MDX).
    By the way... I thought if you create an image, no matter what app used, it should be a perfect image of the CD.
    Last edited by Protocol : 07.03.2017 at 08:48

Customer

ISO isn't appropriate for Audio CDs as it's limited to 2048 bytes/sec.

When it comes to scratched Audio CDs it's not always the same perfect image - even with the same drive and speed you mostly will get different checksums due to error correction.

That's one of the reasons why purists prefer secure & accurate ripping - even though you won't hear the difference.
    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...Secure_ripping
    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php..._of_CD_rippers
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.