No spyware ? Hogwash ! Read on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spyware ? Hogwash ! Read on...

As soon as I started installing the latest version of Daemon Tools I became wary as I discovered that additionnal software comes along with it (WhenU I believe). That's fine I thought, the DTools site says it's harmless.

Boy, was I wrong ! I can put up with the fact that the tool bar pushes adverts. After all, I do want to support your project. However, soon after having installed this, some stupid popup advert from WhenU triggers the download of something called Errorsafe which sometimes brings up this stupid message about the registry being corrupt or something.

I know it has nothing to do with Windows because it's written in french and my installation is in english. Also, it will attempt a force download of this utility and just minutes ago this managed to crash explorer.exe. This is ridiculous ! I've just done a fresh install of Windows with all the patches and your package has managed to corrupt something.

Also, please don't tell me this isn't caused by the added software. I'm far from stupod and I've seen my fair share of malware and it was pretty obvious what the culprit is.

Fine, you might say, just uninstall the added software. Well, how do I know if it's still active or not and whether it has left some traces of itself. Uninstall DTools ? I might and will probably use older versions. But I do want to support your project in some way. Maybe you should choose your partners better or ask WhenU to remove any adverts that lead to malware.

Finally, I am angry but this is because I might have to reinstall Windows (again). This isn't directed at you or DTools. It's just that even the most honest of advertising services doesn't seem to care about malware infesting the adverts they diffuse.

Have you considered just unchecking the box for the search bar? You're not forced or required to use it for Daemon Tools to function.

Comment

Ah, simple question and the answer is that I must've skipped or missed an option to not install the toolbar :P . I think I assumed that DTools wouldn't run if it wasn't installed.

To be honest, the toolbar isn't all that intrusive. It's just a slightly annoying to have an advert box pop up if you wave your mouse pointer accidently over it. I figured I'd leave it and see how things turn out. After all, if it's included in the package, it must be to support the running cost of this site or other things. I have no problem with that.

However, the random popups in separate windows are another problem altogether and are totally invasive. I don't think WhenU is doing this on purpose. I think the problem is the same with any advertising service in that some content providers don't hesitate to hide some stupid ActiveX installer in the code of a page or as a redirect in a flash animation.

Anyway, that's my small rant for today. Thanks for the reply and Happy New Year .

Comment

Oh, I'll add one thing if any of the developpers of the toolbar are reading this. I don't know what development tool they're using but the software feels inefficient.

The way the toolbar extends and the advert window appear reek of bad ressource usage. Also, I think it makes bad usage of the connection too as I've had a red icon appear a few times during an online gaming session. That indicates that brief, fast bursts of data are occuring.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jimalxp
          ...I'm far from stupod...
          Far from stupod huh?
          ROFL

Im just bustin your balls, no harm meant :wink:

Comment

Why not just uninstall the searchbar then scan your system with one of the many available anti-spyware apps to ensure all has been removed?

Comment

Lost faith.

It isn't clear enough that you can opt out of the spyware when you install D-Tools. The fact that you people are supporting this stealware is enough for me to look elsewhere, and has permanently marred your (up until now) good reputation.

Why you would ever further the gains of such a horrid company's software is beyond me.

Go to hell, D-Tools. You'll see your stealware pals there.

Comment

What's truly sad is that you registered just to say that. You took the time to register on a forum just to say you don't want to use a free software that has an optional adware (not spyware) component. How sad is that?

Comment

Originally Posted by arrchangel
                  The fact that you people are supporting this stealware is enough for me to look elsewhere, .
                  Good luck in your search ! ....

I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about, it is quite simple to either uncheck the box or uninstall it afterwards, nobody is forced to have it on their system

Comment

Originally Posted by arrchangel
                    It isn't clear enough that you can opt out of the spyware when you install D-Tools. The fact that you people are supporting this stealware is enough for me to look elsewhere, and has permanently marred your (up until now) good reputation.

Why you would ever further the gains of such a horrid company's software is beyond me.

Go to hell, D-Tools. You'll see your stealware pals there.
                    OMG
                    Hey guy, open your eyes please. Daemon-tools is the one and only (free, always updated, with many translations, most 3rd party addons I've ever seen) tool which could handle mounting images with protections and running games,too. You never paid even a cent for Daemon Tools and i bet that you WILL never pay a cent for it and you're angry about a ridiculously piece of software which could be uninstalled with the windows control panel. Noobs like you spamming around here is the last thing the develelopers need.
                    I guess you are somebody who hasn't got the farest notion what other developers do. PLEASE, don't spam around any more, we don't need posts like this.
                    his version has an option to install client-side software applications (DAEMON Tools Searchbar and Save Now) that deliver a limited number of behaviorally targeted and contextually relevant coupons, ads and comparative shopping results directly to consumers desktops - without compromising the privacy, security or smooth functioning of peoples computers! No URL hijacking or redirects! In order to support FREE distribution of DAEMON Tools we highly encourage you at least to try out this optional software! (you can remove it anytime later when you wish: via Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs)
                    Can you read? I could teach you how to do it.
                    Last edited by vatras90; 13.01.2006, 19:30.
                    My system
                    Boycott Starforce!
                    Wiederstand ist zwecklos! Ihr Assis werdet miliert!

Comment

re

daemon tools is the coolest mounting software on the market. and on top of that it cost 0 cents. you should be grateful. and the add-ons they come with are just a way for the company to make money (by advertising). Any other threats try using KIS 7. it's very good. scouts honor.

Comment

Working...
                      X