Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Showing results 111 to 118 of 118

Thread: some kind of compressed images support

New User

Default Suggestion for additional file types

I love Daemon Tools and would put it above all other virtual cd applications. However I think you guys should look at the possibility of supporting file types that are not traditionally used as cd image files (e.g. .zip, .rar, vhd, etc.)
    There's an application called WinMount that is moving in this direction. It's no where near as nice as Daemon Tools but I think the developer has some interesting ideas. Take a look.
    http://www.winmount.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Development View Post
    In such case making plugin for it should be straightforward -
    for any further info please mail locutus@daemon-tools.cc
    It's done, I'm waiting your reply

A good compressed CD Image format is .CISO which you can use Pismo File Mount to create and convert your ISOs to CISO. It uses LZMA compression and is better than .UIF, .DAA and .ISZ in terms of compression.

It is completely free and open source and I hope to see it integrated into Daemon Tools!

Pismo File Mount

-Neil

hi, are there any plans to add mp3 support?
    i mean audio track stored as mp3
    bin+mp3 is a format largely used to store old console games (saturn, psx, sega cd)... emulation community would be grateful forever!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
    A good compressed CD Image format is .CISO which you can use Pismo File Mount to create and convert your ISOs to CISO. It uses LZMA compression and is better than .UIF, .DAA and .ISZ in terms of compression.

It is completely free and open source and I hope to see it integrated into Daemon Tools!

Pismo File Mount

-Neil
    I disagree. DAA is better compression if you compare DAA with best compression settings with CISO using LZMA settings. However, CISO using LZMA is the second-best compression for CD images, beating ISZ, UIF, and MDS/MDF, and due to it being free, it would be easier to implement into Daemon Tools.

Any word on 7-Zip support? This is a much needed feature!

New User

My suggestion is:
    • Support transparent compression for all image formats
    • Support two compression.formats:
    • 1. gzip, because it is wide used and very fast with still good compression ratio.
    • 2. xz (the official format for LZMA2 on Linux, this means same compression as 7-zip) because it provides very good compression

The containers and compression methods are very well documented, and there is widely used public-domain code available.

Resources:
    For gzip:
    Description: RFC1952
    Library: zlib

For xz:
    Description: XZ file format
    Library: LZMA SDK and XZ Utils

The image would then be stored as e.g. image.iso.gz or image.iso.xz
    The same for other image formats.
    So you would have to implement this as filter, which processes the file stream and then forwards it to the code handling the different image formats.
    If you would create a plugin-api for this, it could be extended by other developers, but I think this two formats should be enough.

such file does not support daemon tools images

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112