No announcement yet.

Daemon Tools and Addware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're having problems uninstalling, try using any adware removal tool, such as Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy. Both are free or have free versions. Sometimes things go wrong with installations, it's not a reason to get upset. No software is perfect.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
      If you're having problems uninstalling, try using any adware removal tool, such as Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy. Both are free or have free versions. Sometimes things go wrong with installations, it's not a reason to get upset. No software is perfect.
      Yeah, basically I did what you just said except I used avast anti virus. Spybot search and destroy is a great tool. The only issue I have with it is that they still haven't fixed the dialog issue where the checkbox and line of text are smushed together on the same line.

I went back and looked and the Daemon Tools uninstall isn't shown in the Add/Remove Programs list either. DT works fine so I've just removed the adware and moved on. The tooldbar never showed up in IE so I suspect something was fubar'ed with the install.

Comment

DTools and Alcohol do not show up in the Add/Remove Programs list so as to avoid certain blacklist methods. They can still be uninstalled from the shortcut in the Programs list or by running the uninstaller from the program directory.

Comment

I think since this has happened I have gone Back to an old version so I dont have this hassle

I have also had a few friends that have also done the same and are looking at other software as DTools is now badware in thier eyes and wont touch it because its changed

if it didnt have this maybe you wouldnt have complaints in the first place - but hey thats how software goes to the bottom of a users most wanted list (trash can)

not impressed of the last issue of DTools I stuck with v3

have a nice day

Comment

Have fun trying to get the latest games working with v3. Not sure why it's such an issue for people to uncheck the box for the adware, but whatever.

Comment

jito463 at least Alcohol doesnt have adware in the virtual drives if a new game wont work in v3 of DT's

see there is other ways of playing a game without all this added greef...

Comment

Just uncheck the goddam Searchbar box during install, there you go problem solved.

I don't understand what is so hard for people to understand this concept. If you uncheck the checkbox no Adware gets installed voila!

I'd like to know what other malware most of you have on you PC, if all you do is click through installers without reading on what they contain and how to disable certain features or components.

At least Daemon Tools gives you the option to not install it, as opposed with other software that includes Adware, that forces you to install the adware.

The Adware in Daemon Tools 4.xx versions is (Read Slowly) O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L, meaning that you don't have to install it if you don't want to and is only for those who want to support the development of the Free Version of Daemon Tools, but Don't have the Money to Pay for the Pro Version, or Donate if there was a Donate Option.

It's a Very simple concept to understand, and If you can't understand one simple thing, I'm afraid to see or think of what problems you may have throughout life.

I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just playing it real, and telling you straightforward the truth
                Xtemulation - Emulation News and Downloads
                Xtemulation Forums - Emulation Support

Comment

muffinhead, even if you post it again and again for 20 times,
                  rest assured that IceMan will not notice it. No reason to
                  explain it to Iceman nor convince him. Just let him go and use
                  Alc's drive's instead. Best solution for all of us.

It seems to me that this whole discussion took place not to
                  find any "solution" or something else but just for rant against
                  us. Or addware in general etc etc.

@IceMan: Now we got your opinion, thank you. Please stick
                  then to Alcohol. Thank you for using DT in the past and god
                  bless you and have fun @Alcohol. Bye

Comment

Search Bar

I liked search bar.

Comment

I'm sorry Locutus

I'm just sick of people complaining and whining about it, even though they are given the option to disable it, something that's not that hard to understand. I use Daemon Tools everyday and it is an excellent piece of software in my opinion, to play all my legit backups.

I'm sorry if I may have gone a little overboard there.

Comment

nothing to excuse for. I just wanted to help you to not waste
                        your time to people that have nothing better to do than to
                        rant, although enough people explained to them the real
                        facts. IceMan doesnt even read replies, he/she just posted
                        as if the addware is somehow inseperable and evil*10.

Why we should feed the trolls?

PS: And btw: Alot of people wrote to me lately that they like
                        the searchbar, so it can't be that bad. And believe it or not,
                        it seems alot of people also use the special offerings to buy
                        something from Amazon or somewhere else.
                        And if he want to use the AlcDrives and tell us how shitty we
                        are, he should switch also to something else, the AlcDrives are
                        also from us, so he should be honest and not use DaemonTools
                        nor Alcohol. Everything else is not more and not less than bigott
                        to me - sorry, but that are my 2 cents.

Comment

I had the idea that the search option was a way to search the virtual drive. Anyway, I have the feeling installing this adware was blocked by some anti-spyware features and I have the feeling that some things went wrong during installation of daemon tools itself because of that and you should care about that. If installation goes wrong by adding additional stuff on computers that have some defenses installed then others can spend time finding out what happened and how to repair it. Anyway ... have a nice day

Comment

If something goes wrong with the install, that's what this forum is for. They didn't just add it with the intention of ignoring customers with problems.

Comment

I/We Understand this, however it is explained what the searchbar is if everyone would just read before downloading.

I'm just sick of people not using common sense to read first, coupled with the option to not install it, and then come here to make a flaming insulting post cussing at the Daemon-Tools Team.

If they discussed their problem in a mature polite manner, and was willing to allow/receive help to work out the proble which they were having, there wouldn't be a problem.

But it's the opposite, they come here flaming and insulting the daemon tools team, without explaining their problem throughly or clearly, and sometime not at all and just fill their post with insults and anger.

Granted I'd be angry to if something messed up my PC, but I wouldn't act immature about it and type insults to the Devs about it. I'd be more interested in getting my point expressed, problem stated, and getting help as soon as possible to solve my problem:wink:

Hope you understand where I'm coming from here, I'm not very good in explaining thing sometimes and it tends not to sound as I intended.

Comment

It is NOT obvious during the install!

I just want to add something to this thread, as a potential new user of DaemonTools.

I was looking for a suitable CD/DVD emulator and had just pulled down trials of Alcohol120% and MagicIso before finding DT, so I came to this site via Google. It brought me to the download page, not the homepage - there is no mention of adware or sponsorship on the download page.

The installer EULA is 48 "scroll downs" long and also makes no mention of adware or sponsorship, indeed the following ("This program is NOT freeware. If you don't use this program for commercial purposes you do not have to register a license and are allowed to use this software for free. But if you want to support our work you may do so, of course. Please check our homepage at http://www.daemon-tools.cc and click 'Register' for details.") suggests quite the opposite, indicating a free home use / paid commercial model which is common these days.

Now the much vaunted "explicit" install options. We have...

* DAEMON Tools Core Files
                                * DAEMON Tools Search Bar
                                * Desktop Shortcut
                                * Start Menu Shortcuts

...but no mention of adware or sponsors there either. In fact it is only when you hover over the toolbar option with the mouse that you see the adware message. Given the nature of the component descriptions, I'd say that it is pathetic to try to justify this adware by saying that the installer warns the user - rubbish! It couldn't be much better hidden if you tried.

As a software developer of 20+ years professional experience, I'm amazed and disgusted that anyone would dare try to conceal this like you have and then try to justify it by saying "we told you so" - what bull! If you truly want the support of the users for this ad. support approach then you should dedicate a full page of the installer to the toolbar component, inform them clearly of the hows and whys, then let them choose explicitly and with full knowledge.

I DID read the EULA before installing, then I read the options - though not the descriptions because the titles should be clear enough - and it was only when SpyBot flagged the malware (yes, I do consider it malware) that I was aware of the Toolbar's more sinister features. Indeed, I suspect that, due to the option's name, you would actually be on thin legal ground here if anyone decided to make alegal case of it.

I'm still going to evaluate all the products I've downloaded, including yours. If this software does what it is supposed to do and is the best in my opinion, then I'll be happy to pay my money to you to support the product, but only if you stop hiding behind this pathetic charade.

Comment

Working...
                                X