SPDT Killed my inner Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPDT Killed my inner Windows

Ok, so this is almost like every other single thread about this stupid problem, however i cannot get past one crucial stage in the 'fixing stage' i can not boot to safe mode, normal, last good config.. or anything.. even if i skip the file.. it does nothing.. and so in frustration i go to format the drive and start fresh.. but alas i cannot even boot to my CD-Rom! If anyone has any solutions to this please let me know.

I have tried to boot to a floppy and i can get as far as to boot to the A: prompt but i cant seem to get onto the C: or D: drives to access any sort of tools or utilites!

PLEASE HELP MY LIFE DEPENDS ON THIS!

SPDT Killed my inner Windows

please if anyone knows about this problem HELP

would flashing the BIOS help?
    Last edited by s3rial; 03.03.2006, 22:13.

Comment

What kind of error message do you get when you try to boot normally? And what exactly happens if you try to boot from CD? Are you sure your BIOS is set to try to boot from CD?
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

sorry if im rude. but im in a computer repair and networking technical college.. so i know all the little things to do, my question is now, if i use Win 2000 floppy's to fix XP? or is there an XP install on floppy's? it might take forever todo but i think it would be worth not having to buy another hdd for this lappy.

the exact error

on the Windows XP loading screen the blue bar just keeps scrolling and nothing happens.. no loading.. nothing

SAFE MODE!* gets to SPDT.sys and stops loading the OS.. even if i cancel the file, it still doesnt work. is there another file other than SPDT.sys that is causing problems?! Does DT write anything to the BIOS?!!?!?!?!!

Comment

sorry if im rude. but im in a computer repair and networking technical college
          And yet you have to ask if DT writes anything to the BIOS? Software doesn't write anything to the BIOS. As a student "in a computer repair" course, you should know that. As to the question above (which you haven't answered), have you checked your boot order to make sure your computer is set to boot from CD? There's nothing DT could do that would prevent your computer from booting off the CD. In fact, if you skip loading the SPTD.sys file and it still won't boot into Windows, I have to wonder if it's even caused by DT. I say this as someone who is not in a technical college to learn computer repair, but as someone who has been active in the computer repair field for the better part of 8 years, and been actively involved in working on computers as a hobby for over 14 years. Now that we're done checking to see who's is longer, if you answer the questions we can try to help you.
          Last edited by Jito463; 06.03.2006, 21:48.

Comment

Boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires administrator password), and enter "disable sptd", then exit to reboot.
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

i have the same prob my snd comp suddenly went down i tryed to reinstall windows but the boot setup froze no mater what HD i put in it i got to boot into dos using win98 boot disk and i re preped the driver , reboted into the boot disk and formated the 2 partions then reset and set bios to boot from cd booted into windows xp cd the setup ran till it got to the part where it starts windows then froze out i tryed this with several HDs that ive got and none would go any further through the setup froze at the same bit each time ,, i then took the origanal HD (that i had in the comp when it was working) put it into another comp and it preped and installed windows to it no probs (so it wernt the HD) so i then out of shere deperation put an old at/atx 1 gig drive in as the primary master (sygate drive) this preped and formated fine and to my suprise windows went into it an the comp booted up i the pluged the comps origanal drive in as a secondry master and instaled windows to it by selecting to instal to F: not c: this time windows went in fine and now the comp runs
              but its freezing a lot ,, i now have all the softwere back installed too the comp and its still freezing up but the strange thing is (and it witch leeds me to think bios corupt)

i boot the comp up it boots fine but freezes like 5 mins after boot (i timed it) but it i turn it off then take the bios bat out for a min or 2 then put it back in and bootup then it wont freeze for aprox 6 hours and when it does freeze (sometime blue screen of death) if i dont take the bios bat out then it wont stay booted for any longer than 5 mins ,, i aslo noticed that if i took the bios bat out ,, put back in and booted into the bios and set standered defalts then the comp would crash like after 5 mins so i think the bios is corupt and i need to flash it (not got round to it yet) this all hapened after i left it overnight downloading using a torront client so i dono if its somekind of virus or if the bios is just corupt i hope a flsh update will work for me ,,,,, btw the only softwere to wright to the bios is a virus or a bios flash wipe/update utility

hope this helps u

Comment

Well, even viruses can't write to the BIOS anymore, as almost every (if not every) system now comes with write-protect options for the BIOS that you have to manually disable. Of course, I guess that depends on how old your machine is, too.

Comment

Okay, i am not a computer repair technician. Just wanted to get that out there.

that is not to say i dont know my fair share of computers, but i really need help with this problem

Havin the same problem the guy above had, but i do not have a system disk. Windows came installed on a Dell i got about 2 years ago. Since that time i have had no problems with Daemon Tools. However, after a forced reboot yesterday where my comp totally froze up (restart button wouldnt even work, had to unplug the thing) i have been getting the Blue Screen of Death.

Safe mode wont work, and i really do not want to have to use the Restore Function. 2 years worth of data and music is not to be brushed aside lightly. The Error says, and i quote,
                  "The Problem seems to be caused by the following file: sptd.sys

The Driver mistakenly marked a paret of it's image Pagable instead of nonpagable"

First off: what does this mean
                  Secondly: how can i fix it
                  Thirdly: how can i make sure this doesnt happen again
                  and Fourth: thanks for the help

Comment

Tried recovery console yet (see my post above)?
                    Which OS and Daemon Tools (and SPTD layer) version do you use?
                    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Windows XP and the Latest Version of DT

I had been diligent in trying to keep it updated because i had had a problem like this before, and didnt want it to happen again. Only difference is that this time, it wont start at all.

I cannot try the recovery console, as i have said, as i do not have a disc with Windows on it. All i have is the backup partition with windows. If there is some other way of acessing the partition, please tell me.

Comment

Okay, first i want to thank everyone for all the wonderful help they have given me, both in PMs and in this thread. After looking around alot, i managed to get one of my friends Windows XP CDs and it allows me to boot into the recovery console. However, it says that it cannot recognise that i have a Hard Drive installed.

that confuses me, because i know the hard drive is installed because i can access its options in the System Setup option when i first start up Windows. Does anyone know what i need to do to get it to recognise my hard drive? or is it because i have a previously installed Version of XP that the hard drive is inaccessable to this new CD of XP?

Comment

Okay, just an update. I used the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows to bypass my pasword ((it was Crickets. CRICKETS!! Who the hell did that??)) to access the recovery console after i changed the BIOS around a bit. random things work when you record them. I then navigated to the C/:WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS folder and deleted sptd.sys.

I could then log into safe mode (using CRICKETS as my password) and totally deleted all traces of Daemon Tools. I then restarted the comp, reinstalled the Latest version of DT, and my problems are gone, at least until next time. This was 5 days of hell.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

If you are still broken, know that bad Reader/Writer(probably down) can cause that trouble, the solution is easy : Just unplug the device and test again, then if your computer boot, you will understand that you need a new device !

Comment

Can someone say what changes exactly SPTD 1.42 and 1.5 does to Windows XP Home SP2. Do they both make the same changes and what are they please?

I need to know because i can login in safe mode, and then hopefully undo the changes so windows works again.

Thank you for any help

Comment

Working...
                              X