USB Dead - Win XP 64bit & A8N32-SLI ASUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Dead - Win XP 64bit & A8N32-SLI ASUS

Just verified and confirmed an issue that will not allow any USB devices to function in a machine.

Me and friend both own the Asus A8N32-SLI Motherboard. I was running bios 0903, he was on 1009. He decided to update to biod 1103, the newest bios, but all his USB Ports stopped working in windows. Then I tried to do it, and same thing happened. After many wipes and reinstalls, and many many hours trying to figure this out, we figured it out.

When we install Daemon Tools 4.0.3 for XP 64bit, the next reboot, the mouse (USB) would stop for me, along with any other USB device. I go into the Device Manager, and notice:
    "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" has an exclamation. I uninstall it, and have windows "scan for Hardware Changes" and it finds it, installs it, my mouse, and other USB devices without problems, until the next reboot and it all start over again.

If I simply uninstall DaemonTools, that doesn't fix the problem, because of the files
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\SPTD.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\SPTDxxxx.sys (where xxxx=4 numbers that seem to change from system to system)

If I delete these files manually, and reboot, then the USB system works. However, Daemon TOols doesn't, because it needs these files to function.

I have even tried a fresh install, and then install just the SPTDinst X64, which you can find in the downloads section of DaemonTools. After a reboot, my USB devices are gone again. I do the remove as instructed by the site for SPTDinst X64, and reboot, and USB Devices are back.

It should be noted that flashing back to the previous bios version does fix this issue, so there is simply an incompitbility of the software with this bios version. However, this bios version fixes a lot of issues with this board, and I can't foresee going back just to be able to use this 1 software program, no matter how nice the program.

Have tried setting the Bios to USB 1.2 or 2, Highspeed or FullSpeed. Turning legacy support for USB on or off, and tried all the USB plugs on this board, to no avail. Hope this helps somebody program a fix. Thanks

David

I have a simular Problem on my XP 64-Bit-System, but I never had the Idea, that DT could be the Reason. On my System only removable Storage Devices (USB-Sticks, USB- or FireWire-Hard-Disks) are affected. Windows recognizes them when plugged in, but afterwards they are shown with an ExclamationMark in the Device Manager (Driver could not be loaded correctly). Other USB-Devces (Camera, Joystick, Steering Wheel) are working fine. To verify if the Problem could be caused by DT, I loaded this Night an Image from November without DT installed - the Problem is gone! Then I loaded an Image I made 2 Weeks after the first DT-Installation - there is the Problem. I know, this is no REAL Verification, es. because after the first DT-Installation I tested a lot of Games and other Software, and all of this Programs could also be the Reason for the Problem, but I think, it is worth a further Investigation. Tonight I tried also a De-Installation of DT, but the Problem is still there. Anyone, any Suggestions?

Comment

Today I had some Time to have a closer Look on this Problem. All I can say so far, is, that it's DEFINITLY NOT caused by DT.

Comment

Read my post... you can't simply un-install without manually removing those sptd files in the system32. Unistall DT, remove those files, reboot, bet your USB problems are gone. So far, 3 other people have verified this, bring the total to 5 counting myself. We all have that Asus A8n32-SLI with the latest Flashed Bios. Could effect other mobo's and bios', but I don't know.

David

Comment

same type problem.i deleted stpd took out dtools.reflashed bios put dtools back in all works usb/dtools.

Comment

I also have an Asus A8N32-SLi board, BIOS 1103
            I had this exact same problem, once I uninstalled DT and removed the files listed above the USB (my precious keyboard and trackball!) started working again on their own.

Comment

I have the exact same problem with an MSI K8NGM2-FID board, with AWARD BIOS v3.20. Removing the SCSI Pass-Through Direct layer makes my mouse work again. I updated my BIOS to solve some issues, and do not plan on downgrading it to test.

Comment

i have the exact same problem with the a8n32-sli mobo

luckily i was building it when i found the problem so i knew right away it was DT

i tryed everything i knew and only removing DT and said files was i able to get my usb mouse to work on reboot

so i disagree that it is not DT

i will try daemon401-64 as i know that worked with my other rigs mobo an a8n-sli perfectly
                if not is there another virtual drive program that will work with xp64 that is as good as DT?

Comment

Originally Posted by DACV
                  so i disagree that it is not DT
                  I you're referring to my post here, "SCSI Pass-Through Direct layer" = sptd, which is a part of daemon tools. Removing only sptd makes the usb devices work again, but renders DT unusable.

Comment

actually i was referring to bladeingers post
                    Today I had some Time to have a closer Look on this Problem. All I can say so far, is, that it's DEFINITLY NOT caused by DT.
                    i dont know if that poster was referring to some other setup with xp64 but since this thread is titled 64bit and a8n32-sli i assumed he was talking about the same

i have been using dt for xp64 since it came out and have had zero problems
                    now with this new mobo i cannot use my usb keyboard and mouse unless i remove dt
                    both current and last version
                    i am at a loss to why it wont work with this mobo but it is a pain in the ass to use it as i dont use cd's anymore but now
                    i either have to buy new keyboard,use cd's or dont reboot after install
                    i dont know what info the devs would need other than mobo type and version which have been stated already
                    but i would be glad to help provide any info needed if i can

Comment

I know a fix, with a catch

load your machine with d-tools installed, goto device manager and restart the openhcd usb host, or some shit, disable then re able it. also the way i have my setup is 1 usb goes out to a belkin hub which still works on startup. i have a8n32-sli, i have a internal usb device that doesn;t work b/c of this that how i found out the workaround, but it's a bitch. I hope they fix that soon. peace

Comment

Problem with A8N32-SLI Deluxe solved!!!

Hi,

I had these problems too! Here is the solution for it:

If you have the BIOS version 1103 then downgrade to BIOS version 1009 and the problems are away!
                        You can downgrade BIOS with the ASUS Update Utility!

regards MuTzE

Comment

thanks for sharing but for me the mobo is going back

it doesnt support sli in xp64
                          i mean whats the point of touting it as a gaming mobo and it doesnt work in sli mode with xp64 os

best part is asus fails to mention that on the mobos webpage

Comment

Why wouldn't it work in x64? My Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI runs SLI under x64 without a problem. What problem are you having?

Comment

you have a gigabyte mobo this thread is for an asus board
                              and heres the fine print from the manual

Due to chipset limitation,SLI mode is not supported under Windows XP 64-bit edition

my fault for not reading the manual fully but come on....
                              its not mentioned on the website

I think thats a pretty big omission for a "gaming" motherboard

Comment

Working...
                              X