anti-starforce power switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-starforce power switch

I want to build a power switch to unplug elettrically my IDE cd-roms ... my question is do I have to cut the 12v only or cd-roms use the 5v too ?

Thx

actually I have found a tutorial saying that the 5v should be cut ... but my question is cd-roms do not use the 12v together with the 5v?
    Cutting only the 5v could lead to any damage !?

Thx

Comment

I've done this by cutting of the red (5v) and yellow (12v) one.
      I used a switch with 4 poles/contacts. 2 contacts for the 5v and 2 for the 12v cable, s on i can disable the 5v and 12v with one "click".
      Last edited by AnalCobra; 10.03.2006, 14:36.
      Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Electrical plug is not enough!!!

Hello There,

Just by experience..... i remember that the power cable doesn't really affect the starforce protection !
        The IDE ATA plug is important in this case! so Plugin off the power of the drive will not work ! ( can somebody confirm because its a while ago since i tried this ? )

Even with the power plug off....and the IDE on its not working!

Hope i could help!
        http://bsfkillaplace.runboard.com/

Comment

do you think that just cutting the red (5v) on is enough ? I have seen a tutorial around and they just used the red one ... that will shut down the logic part of the drive so would result as not connected on the IDE cable ... but what about the motor and electrical 12v part ? Can just use the red (5v) cause any damage ?

Thx

Comment

reference: list of creating your own power switch threads
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

@sfkilla23 :

well actually in my system it works to simply unplug power cable for ide cd-roms .. I tested it with Toca 3 that has the latest starforce and worked fine.

@Underheaven:

thank you for the reference I had already seen the first thread by seraching the forums but I am still not convinced that no damage will be done by leaving the 12v power on ... I would like to just cut the 5v since I can use a smaller switch and less cables around but I want to be sure Thx

Comment

I made my 5v switch and works for my IDE cd-rw and dvd-rw even if when I switch off windows just slows down and I have to switch back on the 5v just after the starforce check to have a good playing speed anyway everything works fine.

Thx

Comment

The recommended way to use this switch is to shutdown the computer, flip switch, then boot up. I'd be careful using it with windows running.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by sfkilla23
                    Hello There,

Just by experience..... i remember that the power cable doesn't really affect the starforce protection !
                    The IDE ATA plug is important in this case! so Plugin off the power of the drive will not work ! ( can somebody confirm because its a while ago since i tried this ? )

Even with the power plug off....and the IDE on its not working!

Hope i could help!
                    ...plug Off the power-connector (Molex) WORKS!

lG E.

Comment

I make this switch on my old PC at oct.2005 1st and tried all
                      my 26 Starforce games in 3 weeks testing. All of 'em many
                      updates that I also installed. So that ANALCOBRA and UNDER-
                      HEAVEN etc. wrote absolutely correct informations to make
                      StarForce games version 3.5-3.7 playable without uses the
                      original media. "ONLY" need a good Alcoholimage with GOOD
                      DPM. So this is the answer WHY tested ALL 3-5 weeks long.
                      Some other words yet: StarForce 3-3.4 (any subvers.) DO
                      NOT NEEDED to use the SWITCH OFF function, only SFN or
                      Starf--k works. Also my old PC was 1 HDD (Primary Master)
                      with a cheap LG CDRW/DVD Combo (on Secondary Master).
                      CloneImage Mounted on DT4 Emulation ALL OPTIONS ON
                      and ofcourse set only 1 VD (VirtualDrive).

Comment

Working...
                      X