Drive letter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive letter problems

When I was using windows xp home I had daemon tools installed and it worked fine.
    I decided to upgrade to windows xp pro and I read somewhere that programs like Daemontools and alcohol must be removed before upgrading. So I removed it and installed pro.
    But now I have this frustrating problem in pro, windows will not assign a drive letter automatically and if i set one manually on startup its reset.
    So the only way I can view the drivelike my ipod and flash memory devices in My computer is by assigning a drive letter, logging out, logging in.
    I have had this problem for about a month, I have never found a solution that worked heres just a few things that I have tried:
    • Upgrading chipset driver
    • Full windows update
    • virus/spyware scan
    • tried the devices in other pcs (work fine)
    • reinstalling windows
    • installing some usb drivers

I think the problem could be with daemon tools and an incomplete unistall before the upgrade.
    Im so frustrated and confused.

The problem in short: Windows wont automatically assign a drive letter.

renaming Windows and Documents and Settings before reinstall

You could try this: Put your hard disk inside another machine and rename the Windows and Documents and Settings folders to something else. Then put the hard disk back in your normal machine again. Then reinstall windows again. Once you're booted up and running again you can get your data out of your renamed folders and delete them if you don't need them anymore.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
    X