Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support for DVD images with encryption (intact)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for DVD images with encryption (intact)

I have been trying to backup my DVDs on disk using programs Like Alcohol 120% etc. But when mounting in Deamon Tools I cannot play back my movies as WinDVD does not recognize it as encrypted (with region code) and tries to play it as it is. Result is non-working playback!

To short up what I just wrote: I want to be able to make a raw copy of a DVD and emulate it with the region codes etc intact. That way I do not break any laws as I do not circumvent the copy protection (by decrypting the disc illegally).

You must decrypt your dvd. Players decrypt your dvd's. You should have a look at dvd decryptor though.

Comment

Hmm.. I thought it was the DVD decoding software (WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc) that decrypted the DVD contents. The region code setting is just so the drive will allow reading of the data from the disc or am I totally mistaken?

Comment

You can set region code via device params (right-click tray icon). Maybe this will help you.

Comment

Ubnfortunately it does not work.

Comment

Try AnyDVD -> www.slysoft.com

Tschau

Viper Zx

Comment

But that defeats the CSS encryption of the DVD which is becoming illegal. I already have legally bought DVDs and software to play them. I just want to protect my discs by having them available on harddrive (which is also easier to browse than flipping cds)

Comment

To make this possible correct MDS image must be made first.
                And to make such image you must use special software - Alcohol currently cannot make 1:1 CSS images because of legal issues. Maybe it will be possible soon via 3rd party plugins to Alcohol - authors of these plugins will burn full load of responsibilty for what they do.;-)

Comment

Even if you build such image you will never be able to burn it; pressed DVD discs are not physically identical to recordable media (lead in). Anydvd does on the fly CSS decrypting, so, what more can be asked for?

Comment

They can be burnt using DVD-R (Not DVD+R/RW or DVD-RAM).. But that is beside the point. I am not interrested in burning them at all. I just want to be able to make an exact RAW copy of the disc and play it on the computer. If I wanted to strip the encryption etc I could have easilly done that - but that is not legal in many countries.

Comment

CSS encryption can't be used with consumer DVD-R media, only with DVD-R for authoring, which involves using a totally different drive (and a much higher price both for the drive and the media). And I bet we'll never see such capabilities in consumer products.

Comment

@andevid: What you want will be possible soon - no problems running from virtual drive. But Jaime is right concerning burning such images.

Comment

=) I am glad it will be possible through emulation which is all I needed. DVDs/CDs get scratched too easy

Comment

Working...
                          X