Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, develope better uninstallers!

Hello,

After looking into some threads I think there are a bunch of issues which came up due to the lack of a good uninstaller.

For example: i had to search and replace the registry for several entries, boot and reboot in safemode etc. That's annoying! Especially when BSOD's and Black bootup screens are become a common problem.

Will that be possible to develop?

floogy
    Last edited by floogy; 14.03.2006, 18:53.

There is no lack of a good uninstaller, rather a lack of healthy systems.
    Moreover even a perfect uninstaller on a perfect system won't work in case of system hangs and/or BSODs.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I had no BSOD's or Stop errors at all, but wasn't able to upgrade from XP eval to retail x64 edition due to daemontools.

dtscsi.sys wasn't found in the temporary setup directory, therefore I had to skip that file, and surprise: I couldn't boot into safe mode again. Copying the dtscsi.sys to the setup temp directory by booting into a debian installation, did solve that.

So what's that kind of error?

Ok If I knew that I could uninstall daemontools before upgrading to XP retail. But I simply didn't know that!

floogy

Comment

That's the kind of error by user - OS upgrades should never be done with Daemon Tools installed. Some upgrades (e.g. 9x to XP) even require totally different drivers to be installed.
        And dtscsi.sys is not a part of Windows, thus it is not in the setup temp directory.
        We will probably add some note regarding OS upgrades in future readme/manual, but I'm afraid most users won't read it anyway, or only if it's too late.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
          That's the kind of error by user - OS upgrades should never be done with Daemon Tools installed. Some upgrades (e.g. 9x to XP) even require totally different drivers to be installed.
          Is it mentioned already anywhere visible in the dtinstaller? If not I wouldn't call it "error by user".
          And dtscsi.sys is not a part of Windows, thus it is not in the setup temp directory.
          But the setup complained that there is no dtscsi.sys in %systemroot%/~xyz setup dir! And windows didn't start again because it wasn't able to load that file (I think there where faulty registry entries during upgrade).
          We will probably add some note regarding OS upgrades in future readme/manual, but I'm afraid most users won't read it anyway, or only if it's too late.
          So, place it into the installer, too.

floogy

Comment

OS upgrades without formatting generally means asking for troubles.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reef
              Ah, that's new to me.

With my debian upgrades I retain all my configs and programs. That's cool!

And if an OS claims to be upgradable, then it should support such tasks.

floogy

Comment

For more perfomance and stable system is better begins from zero.
                Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reef
                  Someone who has dealt with that time consuming dirty work enough to say that, yet hasn't discovered the power of sysprep when it's the fastest supported method of system transition makes me sad.

*ponders the countless hours lost to well-intentioned bullshit*

Comment

Working...
                  X