Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daemon Tools disappears after installing SP2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools disappears after installing SP2?

Hi

I just updated my system to SP2 of Windows XP. I just noticed that Daemon Tools has disappeared from my system! I don't see the icon in the system tray. I can'tn even find the progam in the Start Up program list or on my hard drive! I updated to Daemon Tools v 4.0 and the program seemed to recognize the previous version of Daemon tools, but the program is nowhere to be found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Remove previous installation (v3.47?) by following all steps mentioned in thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum, reboot after the procedure.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Starforce drivers?

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply and information. I think I figured it out on my own. Since I couldn't find the program anymore, I just tried to reinstall the older version of Daemon Tools (v 3.47). As it was finishing installing, my computer crashed and rebooted. Upon reboot, i got an error report saying that outdated Starforce drivers were causing a serious system error.

I had never heard of Starforce or its programs until then. I did a little research and found out that it's a copy protection program, blah blah blah. Well long story short, I downloaded the SF driver removal program, reinstalled D Tools, rebooted, and voila, everything works again.

My question to you guys is this: can these Starforce drivers/files installed by their copy-protected games actually disable or uninstall Daemon tools? That's what it seems happened with my system.

Just trying to icnrease my udnerstanding of all of this so I don't let it happen again.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

No, it's probably rather some problem caused by the installation of SP2. Daemon Tools should be removed during such major updates, and be re-installed afterwards (since v4.0x this includes SPTD layer).
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
        X