PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Tools disappears after installing SP2?

carvelln
20.03.2006, 03:16
Hi

I just updated my system to SP2 of Windows XP. I just noticed that Daemon Tools has disappeared from my system! I don't see the icon in the system tray. I can'tn even find the progam in the Start Up program list or on my hard drive! I updated to Daemon Tools v 4.0 and the program seemed to recognize the previous version of Daemon tools, but the program is nowhere to be found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Copytrooper
20.03.2006, 11:40
Remove previous installation (v3.47?) by following all steps mentioned in thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum, reboot after the procedure.

carvelln
20.03.2006, 14:42
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply and information. I think I figured it out on my own. Since I couldn't find the program anymore, I just tried to reinstall the older version of Daemon Tools (v 3.47). As it was finishing installing, my computer crashed and rebooted. Upon reboot, i got an error report saying that outdated Starforce drivers were causing a serious system error.

I had never heard of Starforce or its programs until then. I did a little research and found out that it's a copy protection program, blah blah blah. Well long story short, I downloaded the SF driver removal program, reinstalled D Tools, rebooted, and voila, everything works again.

My question to you guys is this: can these Starforce drivers/files installed by their copy-protected games actually disable or uninstall Daemon tools? That's what it seems happened with my system.

Just trying to icnrease my udnerstanding of all of this so I don't let it happen again.

Thanks for your time!

Copytrooper
20.03.2006, 14:58
No, it's probably rather some problem caused by the installation of SP2. Daemon Tools should be removed during such major updates, and be re-installed afterwards (since v4.0x this includes SPTD layer).