ubisoft dumps starforce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ubisoft dumps starforce!

Several websites are reporting that Ubisoft employees have confirmed StarForce DRM will not show up in upcoming Ubisoft titles. Galaad from CelestialHeavens.com (a Heroes of Might and Magic Fansite) claims Ubisoft and Nival are dropping StarForce DRM completely.

The original forum thread (English) contains a Ubisoft employee claiming "We have decided that the anti-copy protection used on the future Ubisoft games won't be the StarForce software" (translated French to English). There was no mention of what DRM would replace StarForce, though comments from other employees among the Ubi forums indicate that no future Ubisoft titles will be DRM-free.

StarForce, the DRM software for several high profile PC games, has been in the news a few times over the last several months. Three months ago, the company drew some attention for a bet made with its users. Comments made by some of the StarForce employees later helped skyrocket the sales of a competing product, and then to round things off Ubisoft sued StarForce a few weeks ago anyway.

I've read that ubisoft stopped using starforce!!! i think this is great....what do you think about it!!

What do they use instead?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cuddles
      What do they use instead?
      i dont know.....we will find out someday

Comment

Well whatever they choose as a new CP, this is still a nice development!

And speaking of Starforce, I know that Aspyr, the publisher of Spellforce 2 in the US, will be shipping the game without SF. So any idea if this development would make the game available in europe without SF? Or Do i still need to import the US version?!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'd need to import the game. Different continents get different protections technologies, that's just the way some publishers do it (market trials or whatever you want to call it, maybe non-US stuff gets pirated more, who knows).

Comment

I think that the next Splinter Cell will have SF.
            Mejor morir de pie, que no vivir de rodillas.

Comment

arisma, what didn't u understand of "ubisoft dumps starfore"???
              My sysProfile!

Comment

Maybe he just saw the "poll" part of the topic and thought this topic was for guessing if they'd use SF or not. Arisma, there's a news article you should read (although dailytech.com is not a major news outlet, so this might not be 100% officially going to happen news).
                Last edited by JoelEllison; 14.04.2006, 21:20.

Comment

i readed it on a dutch newspage......and there was also a link to the ubisoft forums!! it was in french but they translated it!
                  http://tweakers.net/nieuws/42034/Ubi...ce-vallen.html (dutch)
                  http://forums-fr.ubi.com/groupee/for...234#7911042234 (french ubi forums)
                  http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1760 (same as in start post! (english))

Comment

Game spot has got the story as well!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spell...ml?sid=6147655

And posting it under news for spellforce was why i asked if we would be getting it without SF. Apparently they only meant the US version

Comment

I think it was a wise decision after all starforce only gives problems.
                      I hope this also applies to Devil May Cry 3 coming this following week.

Comment

Originally Posted by CorvX
                        I think it was a wise decision after all starforce only gives problems.
                        I hope this also applies to Devil May Cry 3 coming this following week.
                        i hope it to! but i'am very curious about the next copy protections they gonna use!!

Comment

UBiSoft is gonna use SecuRom according to this news (french).
                          My sysProfile!

Comment

Originally Posted by LooDos
                            UBiSoft is gonna use SecuRom according to this news (french).
                            Yes, I heard that too, seems it will be securom ... just checked my calender to make sure it wasn't April 1st

Comment

Working...
                            X