No announcement yet.

One of two virtual drives doesn't work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of two virtual drives doesn't work?

Hi there..

I'm having quite a big problem, see I normally have one virtual DVD drive, E:, which under normal conditions Just Works (tm). But alas, my Windows XP isn't normal, so when I now mount any knd of image, it doesn't 'contain' anything- ie it doesn't deny me access to E:, or complain about missing CD etc. It just doesn't list anything.

I can see what's on the image via ASPI (using Isobuster for this) - so apparently the normal way Windows access the drive is b0rked (SPTI?).

Anyway, if I create yet another virtual drive, F:, it works! Ie. if I make sure you use F: when I mount images, I can access F: and see the files etc. However, E: still doesn't list anything, even with the same image.

I might be crazy, but something very screwy is going on.

Do you have any packet writing software installed? Have you ever had/have easy cd creator installed?

Comment

Nope I haven't had Easy installed, but Nero 6 was installed for a small period of time. I don't recall install any packet program, but I supposed it could had been installed behind my back.
      Blindwrite/Read was also installed, but I did not install the patin-couffin driver.

I've checked around for filters, but there doesn't seem to be any other than RedBook, and imapi left (quick and rough check).

BTW. Right now it doesn't even help with to virtual drives, now I'm up to three, where as the only one that works, is the third.
      Also, my CDRW drive still works, but I have seen it act like the dead virtual drives before.

Comment

This is probably a case of some software leaving behind crap. You can try downloading furio trial, and it will check for bad drivers, etc...

Comment

Well, here is another story - I have a drive letter mapped to a network drive, but when I went to add a DT drive, it added in the same spot - attempting to use the same drive letter - b/c the network was down the same day and so the drive letter was not reserved and was "technically" available.

Have you tried changing the drive letter of the E: drive to another letter? If it does not let you, giving you some sort of error (can't remember the exact error) then disable *all* drives and reboot and see if there is a phantom E: drive, or even a legitimately mapped E: drive.

Weird, I know, as I never had this problem previously, but if it hadn't happened to me less than 2 months ago I would never have believed it possible.
          http://www.calendarofupdates.com | http://sevenforums.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
            This is probably a case of some software leaving behind crap. You can try downloading furio trial, and it will check for bad drivers, etc...
            Thanks a bunch for the suggestion (I'm sure you meant Feurio). Alas I ran the program and it did find some inconsistencies with the ASPI drivers (driver versions). But I don't really understand the connection to the way Windows handles atapi drives - Windows doesn't use ASPI when it access the driver that I'm sure of .

Comment

Try to change driver letters of non-working virtual drive. Now does it work?

Comment

Oops forgot to tell, but it works now, after correcting the ASPI drivers.

But alas- I think I've found the source of the problem. I installed Blindwrite again, without the Patin-Coufin driver- and after that the virtual drive stopped working again. So, I installed Feurio again, and the same error popped up :

wnaspi32.dll (File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wnaspi32.dll):
                Fileversion....: 4.60 (1021)
                Productversion.: 4.60 (1021)
                FileDesription.: ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL
                ProductName....: Adaptec's ASPI Layer
                InternalName...: WNASPI32
                CompanyName....: Adaptec
                LegalCopyright.: Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.

winaspi.dll (File: C:\WINDOWS\system\winaspi.dll):
                FileDesription.: ASPI for Win16 (95/NT) DLL
                InternalName...: WINASPI

aspi32.sys (File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\aspi32.sys):
                Fileversion....: 4.71 (0002) built by: WinDDK
                Productversion.: 4.71 (0002)
                FileDesription.: ASPI for WIN32 Kernel Driver
                InternalName...: ASPI32.SYS
                LegalCopyright.: Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.

wowpost.exe.sys (File: C:\WINDOWS\system\wowpost.exe):
                FileDesription.: ASPI for Win16 (NT) Callback Helper
                InternalName...: WOWPOST

The ASPI-driver consists of inconsistent versions.
                The different files of the ASPI-driver installed on your system have different version numbers.
                Most probably an update has been installed incompletely!
                PLEASE INSTALL THE ASPI-DRIVER AGAIN!

Comment

wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys must have same version. If it happened right after instalation of Blindwrite then report it to their team please.

Comment

Working...
                  X