Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres one...

Problem:

certain images files can not be mounted / opened on PC1. On PC2 they work fine. The important bit here is that its the same disk in both machines. The disk ("Removable Disk") is mounted in a removable drive cage and travels between the two PC's. Most of my images on this disk work in both machines, but a select few do not.

I'm not entirely sure this is a daemon tools issue at all, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Also: no Easy CD or Nero or anyother software of that sort is installed on either PC.

Hardware Detail:

PC1:
    Athlon XP2500+ Barton
    Leadtek K7 NCR18D-Pro2 (most up to date BIOS)
    1024 MB Kingston Hyper-X RAM
    Disk1: IBM Deskstar 30GB 7200 RPM (Pri. Mastrer)
    Disk2: Maxtor 40GB P.O.S. (Pri. Slave)
    DVD: Pioneer DCD-ROM 105 (Sec. Master)
    Removable Disk: IBM 185 GB (Sec Slave.)

PC2:
    Pentium 3 933Mhz
    ASUS CUSL2-M (i think?)
    512 MB PC133
    Disk 1: IBM Deskstar 30GB 7200 RPM (same as PC1) (Pri. Master)
    Removable Disk: same as PC1, etc, etc... (Sec. Slave)

Symptoms:

- Error Message: "Drive X:\ Not Accessible, Incorrect Function" if its a problem image.
    - Its always the same images. Images that are "good" appear to be always "good". Images which are "bad" (which they are proveably not, as they work perfectly in PC2) are always "bad". Whether an image is good or bad does not seem to ever change, so it doesn't appear to be some random RAM/CPU/Mobo issue.

Steps Taken (on PC1):

- removed all extraneous hardware (DVD, modem/ethernet/audio cards, etc, etc,)
    - swapped RAM and CPU with known good ones from another system
    - swapped all cables, multiple times. Currently using fairly nice shielded/rounded cabling.
    - due to other issues, have swapped the motherboard *3* times! This had happened on them all.
    - new 400W PSU (old one blew second mobo, hence why I'm on #3)
    - upgraded Daemon Tools from 3.29 to 3.33, still no go on PC1.
    - various and many un-install hardware drivers, re-install drivers, install service packs, or other MS updates, etc.

Have search high and low on google, Leadtek's site (useless);
    INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
    and various other places. Nothing, nadda, squat and diddly has helped so far.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this particular problem has been plaguing me for the best part of 2 months now.

Regards, mahhy.

got it...

so, as i suspected, it was entirely NOT Daemon Tools fault. Apparently Windows 2000 and XP do not support 48 bit LBA addressing. Which means disks larger than 137GB can not be used, or at the least not used correctly. All the images reported as "faulty" were actually stored in the parts of the disk past the 137GB "barrier". The Pentium 3 machine that could correctly access the disk and all the contents was running a piece of software called the Intel Application Accelerator, which is *surprise* a patch to allow 48 bit LBA access.

a simple registry edit and everythings fine now.

cheers.

Comment

Well, that is a known issue. WinXP needs SP1 or higher for 48bit support.
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
      X