Daemon Tools on a fileserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools on a fileserver

I would like to know if there is a way to make a server where there would be discs images and daemon tools installed and from a remote computer, mount the image on the server and use the ressource from a networked computer.

Thanks
    Vincent

Re: Daemon Tools on a fileserver

Yes it works, try it.

Just install it on the fileserver and then mount images and then share the drive on a drive letter (ensure proper sharing permissions). Are you on an AD domain environment?

If you want to have remote control over what image is mounted i suggest mounting via a network share directly on the client PC.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yes, i'm on a AD domain environement.

I was goint to do it the same you mentionned (with the drive shared), but i dont understand how you suggest i can mount images from a remote pc.

The only way i could see that work is with remote desktop and manually choose which image to mount, but this method is kind of time consuming.

Comment

Re: Daemon Tools on a fileserver

Originally Posted by vcarriere
        but i dont understand how you suggest i can mount images from a remote pc.
        Manually install DAEMON Tools 4.03 on each remote computer. Then use the tray icon to mount a remote file (\\server\c$\images\mycd.iso)

Originally Posted by vcarriere
        Yes, i'm on a AD domain environment.
        The reason why I was asking is that you can just make a new global group and deny everyone but those users access to the share (if you were on a LAN, setting permissions could be more tedious). And above the c$ share name can only be used by admins but it was just an example, normally you'd use a drive letter or share name.
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I see what you are suggesting but what i had in mind is a little bit different.

What i want to do is install daemon tools on the fileserver, create a space where all the images are and share the emulated drive around the network.

Then what i was wondering is if there is a way (from the client pc) to change which image is mounted on the server without installing any kind of special software and without using remote desktop.

Comment

psexec

Have you heard of psexec? On a client computer you can use psexec to connect directly to the server PC and pass credentials and control a batch file on the server PC which will change which image(s) are mounted.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Thanks alot!

That's exactly what i needed.

It seems to be an extremely powerfull app.

Comment

Working...
              X