How to unplug DVD Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to unplug DVD Drive?

I know this is a stupid question, but i need help, problem is, where do i unplug the dvd drive? At the IDE Controller right? <-- Where is that, and which cable do i unplug..

Looking at the back of your DVD drive, you'll find two cables coming from it. One with a molex plug - that's the power cable, with one red, two black and one yellow wire - and one with an IDE plug, that's the data cable which is several inches wide.

You can try unplugging only the power cable (which is usually easier), but if it doesn't work, try unplugging the IDE cable as well.

Note: An IDE port can address up to two drives, but for that, the drives need to be jumpered correctly, one as master and one as slave. If you look closely at the back of the drive again, you'll notice an area with 6 or 8 pins, two of which are probably short-circuited with a jumper. If you remove one of two drives, make sure the remaining drive is jumpered as master. Same goes for reconnecting the drive, check that both drives are jumpered correctly.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

It is not a stupid question... Most people don't know what the inside of thier pc looks like.

Check out these images:
      Before: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5250/dsc000632hs.jpg

After: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/698/dsc000641ms.jpg

1. Make sure your PC is powerd OFF.
      2. Remove the side panel (commonly the left side).
      3. Look at the rear of you CD/DVD-ROM for the ATA(IDE) Cable(look at the before picture).
      4. Unplug the ATA(IDE) cable from your CD/DVD-ROM.
      5. Power up your PC.

If you need to use your CD/DVD-ROM repeat the procedure, just plug in the cable instead of removing it (PS: the cable only goes in one way).

Hope this helped you.
      Last edited by sYk0; 26.05.2006, 13:46.
      Mail:
      curerom @ daemon-tools.cc

Comment

Ok, still need help :-(, the plug won't come off. Heres what i did

- Took out the top case
        - Found 2 wires, [Long gray one] [and one wire containing 4 others, red, black , black, yellow or something]
        - the long gray one was easy to take out
        How ever, im stuck on the 4 small wires part, it doesn't budge, won't unplug :-(

Comment

It does not matter, you can leave the power cable (red, two black and one yellow wire) pluged in...
          if you would really like to unlpug it, try wiggle it from side to side while pulling on it (make sure you pull on the plastic bit at the end, NOT the wires)
          Mail:

Comment

Ok i unplugged the big wire at the CD/DVD drive. But the drives are still shown, when i turn on my comp. And X3: Reunion, and Space Rangers 2 , won't run, still says Please insert DVD Into another drive

Comment

Unplug the molex (4pin,red-black-black-yellow) and the bigger IDE plug.
              Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Ok i unplugged the big wire at the CD/DVD drive. But the drives are still shown, when i turn on my comp
                Are you sure the drives displayed are not your Daemon-Tools/Alcohol 120% virtual drives?
                Mail:

Comment

Working...
                X