Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random sptd.sys BSOD after installing Daemon Tools v4.03

Hi,

I've been using Daemon Tools for a long time on many computers with no problems at all. I try to have always the last version installed, so now I have many computers working with no problems with the last 4.03 version.

Recently I installed a new computer. After installing windows XP, all the patches and the usual stuff you install on a new computer (antivirus, firewall, etc...) I decided to install Daemon Tools. And then trouble started in form of BSOD pointing to some issue with SPTD.SYS.

The first BSOD appeared just after Daemon Tools asked me to reboot in order to complete installation. After loging again the BSOD almost instantly. I did a reset and the Windows XP managed to reboot. I could login and installation was completed with no more problems...

After that i could work with the computer without problems for some time, including new software installations, reboots, etc. But suddenly, after another reboot, the BSOD appeared again just after loging in.

Now, the BSOD appears randomly, but always a few time after loging in. When the BSOD don't appear I can work with the computer without problem, but each time I need to reboot I risk a BSOD. And it really bother me a lot!

I know SPTD.SYS is not strictly part of Daemon Tools, but Daemon Tools won't work without it. So I think I'll have to stop using Daemon Tools.

Any idea??

Yours,

Toni

If you've minidump available related to such BSOD (in Windows\Minidump folder), send newest file unpacked to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I usually abort BSOD dumps because they take so long and have little use for me. But now I'm going to reboot my computer a couple of times until the BSOD apperas and then I'll wait until the minidump finishes. I'll send you the file to this e-mail address.

Do you need some other info, like notherboard model, software installed, etc?? I read through other similar threads and see some people points to some SPTD.SYS conflicts with hardware RAID stuff. My motherboard is an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe, wich have RAID support. I don't use it, but some RAID drivers have been installed: ITE IT8211 ATA/ATAPI Controller, and Silicon Image SiI 3132 SATAlink Controller. Both come with the motherboard.

Yours,

Toni

Comment

Go into your Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings in the System Properties and make sure it's set to Small Memory Dump (128k). A Kernel Memory Dump or Complete Memory Dump is too big.

Comment

Usually it does not take long to create a minidump - the 64kb - 128kb shouldn't take that much time to be written to hdd.
          You sure you don't have complete memory dump active?
          We'll take a look at the dump, and if we've further questions, we gonna ask.

Comment

The issue was already reported and should be fixed with upcoming SPTD layer version.

Comment

Is there a known cause for the issue?
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                Usually it does not take long to create a minidump - the 64kb - 128kb shouldn't take that much time to be written to hdd.
                You sure you don't have complete memory dump active?
                We'll take a look at the dump, and if we've further questions, we gonna ask.
                Well, I have no idea about if I have complete memory dump active or not. Now I can't check it before I have no access to the computer, but being a newly installed system I'm sure I have the default minidump configuration (whatever it is!).

I never played with such settings because, as I said, I always abort the dumps. Anyway, the minidump I sent is 64K and it taked a lot to be created...

You said the issue was already reported and will be fixed in next SPTD release. So I imagine it has been identified. Can you tell us more about what's causing those BSODs so maybe we can tour around it and continue using Daemon Tools?

Thanks,

Toni

Comment

Working...
                X