Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sptd.sys Problems

Hi everyone,

My computer started hanging at startup one or two weeks ago - it wouldn't go beyond the windows startup screen 4 out of 5 times. After trying to get in using safe mode I saw that it was a sptd.sys file that led to the problem. After reading the thread in the "Common Problems and Solutions" forum, I deleted the file and uninstalled Daemon Tools. Unfortunately that computer still hangs 4 out of 5 times at the point at which it is supposed to load sptd.sys on startup. I have to keep restarting the computer until I get lucky. Is there some registry key I have to delete or something else that is causing this?

Here is some relevant information about my computer:
    Motherboard: Asus P5WD2 Premium
    Processor: P4
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X800XL

Thank you,
    Zain

should not freeze

Windows should not freeze on loading a driver file which does exist on the disk (f.e. a deleted file). I'm not sure what's going on.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Are you referring to the message to bypass loading the driver? That message is normal when booting to Safe Mode, and does not mean there is a problem with the driver. And if you've deleted the file, then - as Underheaven said - it can't be affecting your system.

Comment

I wasn't referring to the message at startup. I no longer recieve that message.

Unfortunately, I figured out that my second problem seems to be unrelated. It has to do with a mup.sys file. I find it really strange that I got two files that caused two distinct freeze-ups at startup at the same time. I'll try to figure that one out on my own.

Thanks for your help though.

Zain

Comment

I think I see the problem. It's not those files causing the freeze (mup.sys is a Windows file), those are just the last ones loaded before it continues to load Windows. I think you're seeing them as the end of the list and assuming they are what's causing the problem. That's not always the case (though it can sometimes be). I think in this case you've got some other issue and you're confusing cause with effect.

Comment

Working...
          X