Non-Admin account permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Admin account permissions

I've just installed daemon tools v3.33 on a fresh Win2K SP4 system. It only has a reader in it for now and no burning progs. Problem is when I switch from an admin account to a user/power user account I get an error message "Virtual SCSI driver not detected". Device manager doesn't show anything not seen under the admin account and the device is shown in explorer but there's no tray icon available. I've searched the forums and found a few posts about the same problem but haven't seen a solution. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Just to update...
    I logged in under a power user account and got the error message and no tray icon. I use RUN AS... to load DAEMON.EXE using admin credentials and it loads no problem. This must be a permissions problem somewhere in the registry since the user account has access to the installation folder and driver files. Since there are no daemon tools reg entries in the Software keys of HKLM or HKCU I must assume that its got something to do with something in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

Comment

You should verify that your non-admin can read and write from this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet.

Comment

By default users/power users are not supposed to be able to make system-wide changes which includes hardware. I can understand if daemon tools is trying to read a key and can't but it shouldn't be writing to it if the device(s) are already installed.

I have checked 3 systems and all allow Administrators, System, Creator Owner to have full control to HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS and Users/Power Users only get READ permissions. Non-admin users should not have write permissions and I don't want them to either. It would help if I knew which key it couldn't access (assuming that's the problem)...is there a debug switch I can use from the cmd-line?

Comment

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\st3???
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\P CI\ST3???

The st3??? part will change in each version, as driver is renamed.

Comment

Well...
            I gave EVERYONE full access to those keys but still didn't work.
            I then gave full access to the entire HKLM\SYSTEM and still didn't work.

When logged in under an admin account I see
            st3wolf.sys
            listed on the drivers tab for the scsi controller and
            cdrom.sys
            redbook.sys
            storprop.dll
            listed on the drivers tab of the stealth drive in device manager.
            However when in a non-admin account the scsi controller is the same but only cdrom.sys is listed for the drive. I checked the permissions of these files and a non-admin user has at least read access to these files (no reason to have write permissions).

Comment

Working...
            X