SPTD not found but same type of problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD not found but same type of problem

I removed Daemontools and since then wasn't able to access Windows. First I got the black screen with options, after doing all that I found on this forum, I don't get the options, my portable HP Compaq NC8000 keeps rebooting. I get a glimpse of the Windows logo and then a blue screen that I'm unable to read as it goes away too fast.

I've done:

moved d347bus.sys
    moved windows/system32/drivers/scsiport.sys
    moved windows/inf/scsi.pnf
    moved windows/inf/scsi.inf

I never found sptd.sys not can I find it in the Registry Keys. Maybe this is because my dear IT colleague wanted me to do a Windows Set Up -> Repair from the XP CD. It was after this that I lost the options on the black screen :-(

My only solution left that is mentioned is Recovery ... but I don't get in with all Administrator passwords I have tried :-(

After 3 days I'm at my wits end to recuperate Windows. Reformat? I'd like to keep that till the very very end as I have many settings in programs as Photoshop I will loose and programs I bought of which I will surely no longer find the Installation key :-((

HELP. PLEASE. THANKS.

Moved to new thread.

Can you use safe mode? How did you move the files mentioned above? Do you have another windows install on another partition? Regarding admin password for the recovery console: you can use a linux boot cd to reset your windows password.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Where did you move scsiport.sys? That's a required system driver. No need to move the inf files etc. anyway.
      Any other obsolete Daemon Tools driver files present (d347bus.sys, d347prt.sys)?
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Can you use safe mode?

>>No I can't

How did you move the files mentioned above?

>>I used UBCD4WIN

Do you have another windows install on another partition?

>>No I only have 1 partition

Regarding admin password for the recovery console: you can use a linux boot cd to reset your windows password.

>>I have been able to retrieve my password and do the RECOVERY of Windows. I get to the step of copying a the REPAIR files into the system32/config etc. AND am able to login to Windows at that time. As soon as I copy the registry keys I had, the "never ending" rebooting problem starts again

Comment

Where did you move scsiport.sys? That's a required system driver.

>> aie. I just moved it to an external drive. I can put it back but I don't think that is the reason of me not being able to have a recovery point used that works.

No need to move the inf files etc. anyway.
          Any other obsolete Daemon Tools driver files present (d347bus.sys, d347prt.sys)?

>> No , I have deleted those as I read in the other thread

Thanks for your help (also for the previous reply)

>> What I think needs to be done now is check why Windows doesn't accept my Registry Keys default, sam, security, software, system. I don't know where to start on that as I can only get in the UBCD4WIN "Windows" and wouldn't know what to check in the Registry Keys.

Comment

To do the recovery I followed the steps as explained on http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articl....jsp?id=8656-1

This seems to work for most and I get to start Windows and copy registry files but as soon as that is done... the rebooting issue starts again. I don't know what Daemon tools changes in the Registry Keys but I suppose something has been changed or there is a conflict.

This may sound stupid, but I also installed a screen driver recently, a Samsung 215TW driver..

Comment

So you do have access to the Windows partition?
              You had v3.47 installed only, i.e. not v4.0x (thus no SPTD layer installed)?
              Is there a minidump file (in Windows\Minidump folder) related to such BSOD? If so send newest file unpacked (i.e. not ZIP'ed nor RAR'ed etc.) to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.

Comment

So you do have access to the Windows partition?

>> I can get access with the UBCD4WIN or on the "basic" Windows that uses the (original) repair files. In this last case it is Windows XP Pro but without my settings so I can't do anything with it unless I can install my backed up Registry Keys. But these don't seem to work as I get back to that "boot loop".

You had v3.47 installed only, i.e. not v4.0x (thus no SPTD layer installed)?

>> I wasn't even sure that I installed it myself as a friend worked on my PC months ago to create DVDs etc. I don't recall ever having used Daemon. The issue came when UNinstalling it. Can I still see which version I had as I don't remember.

Is there a minidump file (in Windows\Minidump folder) related to such BSOD? If so send newest file unpacked (i.e. not ZIP'ed nor RAR'ed etc.) to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.

>> I have done so. I don't know what a BSOD is, but I sent you the file I found in that folder. (although it looked quite old)

>> Thanks for the help !!

Comment

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death

The dump you send is almost a year old, thus I doubt related to your current probs.
                  Although it shows 3 different IDE drivers - did you change your mainboard without re-installing Windows by just doing a repair installation? This is not recommended, so a complete re-installation could solve some problems.

The crash/BSOD was caused by smwdm.sys that day - if that driver means anything to you.

Comment

Although it shows 3 different IDE drivers - did you change your mainboard without re-installing Windows by just doing a repair installation?

>> No I didn't change my mainboard. I didn't do hardware changes, it's a portable..

This is not recommended, so a complete re-installation could solve some problems.

>> I see that as the last solution as I have so many programs I bought of which I don't have passwords/keys/etc..

The crash/BSOD was caused by smwdm.sys that day - if that driver means anything to you.

>> This seems to be related to SOUNDMAX (I looked it up), that is the sound card. Are you sure this caused the crash as in that case I can ask a repair, I bought the HP portable recently!

Comment

smwdm.sys

just for "fun" I removed the drivers smwdm.sys, but even that doesn't help :-(

Comment

Recently? The crash dump you sent is dated August, 8th 2005 (!) - either there is something wrong with date'n'time on your system, or we have a different opinion about the term recently.

Comment

Indeed ... a year for me seems very little as I think there is a 3 year warranty for this company's pc I blew up..

Comment

Working...
                          X