Driveletters keeps changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveletters keeps changing

I have a problem with my XP machine. Here is my setup.
    2 satadisks with each 2 pattitions.
    They should have drive letter C, D, E, F
    After some time my deamon tool suddently took the e drive so my 2. harddisk got F and G.

This is a nono, since i have programs installed on them. I have tryed to uninstall deamon tool, and then reassign the harddisk 2 to drive E and F.
    But after a couple of reboots the 2. harddisk goes back to drive F and G. The E letter is stille free so i can change the disk back. But why ohh why does windows assign my 2nd disk to drive F and G when E is free ?

Im not sure this have anything to do with deamon tools, but you guys seems to know a lot about drive assignment.

Hope someone can help

Run diskmgmt.msc and re-assign the drive letters the way you require them to be.
    Note that drive letter assignment is done by Windows.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Sounds like Windows is picking up the DTools virtual drives before your second HDD, so DT is getting the drive letter first. Have you tried manually assigning drive letters to the virtual drives instead? I set mine to P, Q, R and S (whether I'm using DT or Alcohol). That way, the E drive letter should remain open for your HDD.

Comment

i have reassigned my driveletters in diskmanagement.
        But when i reboot a couple of times windows changes the letters back without me doing anything.

The wierd part after i deleted Deamontools is that windows stille move the driveletters for my second disk, and then keeps drive E free.
        It is not assigned to anything.

Comment

Same Prob here.....

When I set my external HDD to e: and my DVD drive to z:. When acohol is installed or daemonthe drive letters will stay. But whn unintll these programs my Ex HDD got I:and the DVD drive goes to e:.

I used disk management to chnage drive leters but I still get the same problem. But if log out of the PC its ok, so it only changes when rebooting PC.

I looked around to see if there something in the registry that controlls drive letter access but I am unable to find anything on the web so far.

Now when I disabled my DVD drive in Device manger and reboot PC the drive letter will stay as E: on my Ex HDD.

Any ideas?

Comment

using any anti blacklist programs? like antiblaxx... it can seriously screw up your registry, making windows 'choose' the drive letters next time you boot.. just an idea
            my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Hi, found the fault. When I installed it also install VAXSCSI Controller in device manger. When I uninstalled Alc' and reboot PC the PC then started to look for SCSI/RAID Controller. Uninstalling does not help as it just come back after reboot. Disable this and rebooting the PC solved the problem for me. Cant find reg keys for this. If any one knows please post here.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X