No announcement yet.

What are the risks involved with this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the risks involved with this??

I have been reading up about ISO file players and cd-rom emulators. About a year ago i downloaded daemon but ultimately chose not to install it because of the risks involved. Before the installation it said something about "replacing kernels" and that they "may be permanently lost." Several people said that their actual cd-rom stopped working, or permanent dmg to something on the computer.

Im also not sure what exactly this program does when installing... does it more or less trick the computer into thinking that it is the cd-rom? I read some of the faq but im still not completely sure. Can you play cds normally or do you have to "turn daemon tools off" in order to do so?

BTW i have Dell DIM9100 2.8GHz, 512MB, win xp (sp2)

Is this product really that risky?

I had a longer detailed topic but that didnt seem to show up. Anyways im concerned of risks of this program. People are say this can permanently damage computer/cdrom.

"installing it on an system running xp pro with sp2 installed - it causes major problems. Daemeon messed up my computer severely causing horrible hardware/driver conflicts, which could only be resolved with a clean format and re-install of xp."

"Just be prepared for a lifelong commitment with this program and your PC once it's installed!"

yeah so basically im not sure whether i should install. i remember a year ago it said something like "warning kernels will be replaced and may be permanently lost" ...Should i do a system save point or w/e before i install? (not like i kno how to do that)

btw... dell DIM9100 2.8GHz 512MB windows xp (sp2)

Comment

does this site even work?

Comment

I merged your threads. Posts for new users (users with less than 20 posts) are moderated so they don't show up right away.
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Personally I don't think that it is risky to install DT. Problems can occur with every software you install. Just try it out. You can always uninstall.
          If you wish to create a System Restore Point go to Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
          And yes you still can play CDs normally after installation of DT.

Comment

why don't you just give it a try? uninstalling is easy and it works. but do not use your year-old copy. get a fresh one. DT just adds another (up to four) drives so your real ones still work as they did before. i've been using dt for many years now and i've never had issues with it. so, talking about risks, there are none, really, if you're using xp sp2 or x64. i say that because those are the operating systems i've worked on using DT.
            Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

The vast majority of those with problems can fix them with a fresh install of Windows. There are some who have issues with a conflict with their hardware, but those are the minority. I have been using either Alcohol or DTools for years without issue across several different systems. As the others said, if you want to know if it works for you, just install it. If you're afraid of it messing up your computer, just make a backup or System Restore before installing DTools.

Comment

Working...
              X