PDA

View Full Version : Won't boot, hang in WinXP boot up screen

02_sensor
12.09.2006, 11:19
Hi, i might have a slightly different problem...

My system refuse to boot only if before shutdown of the computer i had a virtual image mounted in Dtools.:confused:

then i boot with last known working settings. and it works fine...
this always happend when i forget to unmount images from Dtools before shuting down my comp... it wasnt happening on my older computer.

My system is:

CPU: AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core
MB: ASUS A8N-E
RAM: 1GB
HD: 250GB SATA2
VID: ATI RADEON X800 512MB
WinXP: Service Pack 2 all updates done. and Dtools installed afterwards.

The only difference between my older comp that my affect Dtools is SATA2????

Thanks.

Copytrooper
12.09.2006, 12:52
Try to disable automount.

chit
26.09.2006, 16:56
I have the same problem here. I installed the latest Daemon Tools 4.0.6 on Windows XP SP2 with latest updates, installed SPTI driver, and restart system. But Windows hung up just at loading, display an very short BSOD and restart. The single solution was to reboot in safe mode and reinstall daemon Tools version 4.0.3 with 1.25 SPTI driver.
My system configuration is:
AMD Athlon X64 3000+ Processor
Asus A8N-E Motherboard
2x512 DDR Geil in Dual DDR mode
XFX Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
DVD RW LG GSA 4160B
CD-ROM
Westwer Digital HDD - WD 2500JB and WD 1600JS

LocutusofBorg
26.09.2006, 18:47
it was reported* that to disable USB Legacy support on
ASUS A8N platforms fixed the problem. Please check if
that solve your problem, too. Or downgrade to version 4.0.3.

However, we try to fix the problem soon with a new patch

*source: DT Supporter Qnet

superfly86
27.09.2006, 13:08
I uninstalled previous version of DT, next after reboot i installed new version. When i enabled 1 drive my system was freezed i couldn't do nothing. After restart the same :/
Now i uninstalled DT and i'm waiting for fix of this.
I have MSI KT4V + the newest VIA hyperion drivers. WINXP SP2 + all updates.

xsplat
20.10.2006, 23:59
I've got the same problem:

PC config:

XP Home SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo3 (MS-7135)
NVIDIA nForce4-4X Chipset
RAM 1024MB

------------

Waiting for a fix.

Soadzik
27.10.2006, 12:17
Hah, I thought only I have a problem with daemon 4.06 :D
I have same problem with freeze boot :P

My computer:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
EPOX 8rda3+ Pro
2x 512MB TwinMOS
Asus Radeon 9600XT
WD 160GB(Windows is here)
Seagate 120GB
Windows XP SP2

Please! HELP!

M4M
29.10.2006, 03:13
I have a similiar problem:

Abit be-7 motherboard
768 Mb of ddr mem
P-4 2.53 proc (Non-HT)
WinXP pro SP2 w/latest hotfixes (fresh install)

I run the installer, the spti driver installs, then system reboots (which is normal to continue installation). After reboot, daemon tools continues installation just fine and the PC operates just fine, until you shutdown/restart. At this point the PC hangs right after the welcome screen. No bsod, no auto-restart, just hangs.

I know that you guys/gals know about this issue, but I figure some additional info (sys specs) would also help to prove usefull.

chit
31.10.2006, 14:06
Any news about this problem with the newest SPTD driver 1.35 ???? Problem remains or it is fixed???

chit
01.11.2006, 17:46
For me problem is solved with the new SPTD 1.35 drivers.

Copytrooper
01.11.2006, 17:51
Thanks for the info.
What about some other users facing this issue? Problem solved with v1.35?

M4GIC
02.11.2006, 01:31
I'm still having the issue even with SPTD 1.35

Its exactly as M4M said... Right after welcome screen the system hangs... no BSOD/Reboot/etc. Funny thing is, the issue didn't show up untill I had used DT a couple of times - but once it happened, it happened everytime... I tried installing SPTD 1.35 and it still hangs right away (just after welcome screen) every time.

Specs
Windows XP Pro x64
Asus K8N (Nvidia Nforce3 250 - Socket754 - DDR)
Athlon64 3400+
2048MB Ram

After reading what locutusofborg wrote, I'm going to try disabling legacy USB support and see if it helps?

Soadzik
03.11.2006, 11:46
But where can I find SPTD 1.35 :confused:

FordPrefect
03.11.2006, 15:18
http://www.duplexsecure.com/

M4GIC
04.11.2006, 02:51
Ok... So disabling USB Legacy support doesn't work. However... i went into safe mode and re-installed STPD 1.35 (since when I started up I chose not to load it) and now the computer nolonger hangs on startup... however I get found new hardware wizard and DT complains of not being able to find virtual SCSI device?

segate
04.11.2006, 06:04
I have a similar problem but not completely the same .
I have 2 harddiskes, 1 is maxtor 120G 7200, the other is seagate 40G 5400. When the DT automount the file from maxtor hd , it works normal, whether the part is NTFS or Fat32.But from the seagate hd ,my xp won't boot.
Actually it isn't really can't boot, it's normal until DT runs. If I don't set DT autostart(not automount), everything is ok but open "My computer" or access the virtual drive.
This problem has happened to me since DT 4.0.3 , I checked my hds, nothing wrong with them.

CPU : Celeron D 2.66
RAM : 512 x 2
mainboard : sis 648
video card : nvidia fx 5600

My english is poor , sorry for that.

Jito463
04.11.2006, 15:54
@M4GIC
Try pointing it to C:\Windows\inf\cdrom.inf

M4GIC
04.11.2006, 22:12
Actually, I re-installed DT overtop of itself (before I read your comment) and now it works. We'll just have to see if my computer hangs when I reboot...

EDIT:
No dice. It hangs on reboot. AH well... It's interesting to note that the computer does not hang when going into safe mode if I elect to load STPD anyway. So the computer will hang when DT and STPD are loaded together but not if just one or the other is.

It makes me wonder what the issue is, since DT works as advertised until that reboot. If STPD is previously on the machine, and then DT is loaded (so it doesn't need to reboot since the STPD is already onboard) everything works until reboot... I don't have any images loaded at shut-down, perhaps something in DT's initialization is what's causing it?

--Its worth noting that I'm using Securom Loader 1.2 (from the downloads section) to usurp Securom on F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Great game BTW)

Soadzik
04.11.2006, 23:25
SPTDinst-v135-x86.exe did not help to solve my problem :mad:
I think it is not SPTD problem because after installation(and than restart) it was normal...
So I've inslalled Daemon 4.06 and my Windows died, nothig help, I had to reinstall my WindowsXP :mad:

chit
05.11.2006, 10:03
For me is working in this way: I installed Daemon Tools 4.03 with SPTD 1.25, then the new SPTD driver 1.35 and then the Daemon Tools 4.06. Maybe this info will be usefull to you, guys.

woof
05.11.2006, 17:47
Hello,

For me is working in this way: I installed Daemon Tools 4.03 with SPTD 1.25, then the new SPTD driver 1.35 and then the Daemon Tools 4.06. Maybe this info will be usefull to you, guys.
unbelievable, this one worked after hours of frustration. Just another order of installations (incl. two reboots and two times "Virtual SCSI not detected") and it's done. Thanks.
no, not that way, don't know what I missed yesterday, maybe just the final reboot, but no booting today, I had to disable SPTD again to boot. Still the same problem.

Regards,
Thorsten

M4GIC
05.11.2006, 22:25

Confirmed. Works for me too. Thanks a million chit! :D

...now hopefully it stays working.

---

Looks like I jinxed myself with that last line... It stopped working.

Soadzik
05.11.2006, 23:33
I solve this problem :wink:
My Audigy SE driver had the same name of some files that Daemon use, I just download the latest version of sound card drivers and now it works great :D

jim74
06.11.2006, 17:41
I, on the other hand, can't make either daemon 4.06 or sptd 1.35 to work, no matter what I tried (and I tried all of the above). So I am stuck at 4.03, anything newer gives me a BSOD (for a tenth of a sec) during the early boot (Windows loading bar) and goes to restart. I have a 3500 Athlon 64, DFI LanParty Nforce4 Ultra, 1,5GB ram etc etc... Anyone with a solution will be a hero!

M4GIC
09.11.2006, 21:59
My isssue seemed to stem from NTFS compressed Maxi-Images as described in this (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t14781-major-problems-with-ntfscompressed-maxi-images.html) thread. Once I decompressed the folder containing my mini/maxi-images, windows nolonger hangs on boot. Also, in retrospect, the hangs only started after I loaded FEAR Extraction Point or C&C TFD (both using compressed maxi images) and then continued until I decompressed the folder.

EDIT:
It seems the issue will be fixed with the next release. Apparantly, an experimental version of STPD solves the issue.

Yjkader
11.11.2006, 04:06
I've tried several things with not much luck.

PC Specs:
ASI P4 2.8Ghz
1Gb RAM
Creative SB Live!
Nvidia Geforce FX5200
Windows XP SP2
Last night I upgraded from XP SP1 to SP2, Daemon 4.06 was installed on SP1 with no problems, until I loaded SP2, my PC froze on boot. I disabled SPTD.sys to get back into Windows, As soon as I got back into Windows Daemon could'nt run due to Virtual NTSC being corrupt or not found. I uninstalled Daemon manually using RegCleaner from the computer entirely, restarted and used a procedure someone had mentioned on these forums which was the following (After re-enabling SPTD.sys with no trouble) :
1)Manually Un-install Daemon
2)Install older version Daemon 3.47 and restart
3)Upgrade to Daemon 4.06.

It worked, however as soon as I ordered my PC to shut down it basically hung, Once I restarted my PC it wouldn't boot up.

Solution for this?

Yjkader :)

Entheogenic
14.11.2006, 00:47
I am having the same problem, and have been reading these forums all day in an attempt to fix it. Nothing works. Here's my situation:

I installed the newest version of DT with the older sptd driver. The installation worked fine for a few days, then one morning the computer just would not boot. It hung just after the Windows Loading Bar screen (as most other people have described). I had changed nothing.

I got into safemode by disabling SPTD and deleted the driver. Rebooted fine. I uninstalled DT, installed 3.47. Rebooted just fine. Installed the newest version as an upgrade. Wouldn't reboot. Fixed it the same way, uninstalling all DT again.

Downloaded the newest SPTD from the other website, and tried to install that. Wouldn't reboot.

I really like your program, and would love to keep using it, but I can't figure out what's wrong!

Again, SPTD 1.35 DOES NOT fix the issue for me!

Help me DT programmers--you're my only hope! :D

Entheogenic

Jito463
14.11.2006, 10:30
I'm not sure I understand. The computer worked fine after installing SPTD and Daemon Tools, then a few days later it stops working. Why exactly are you assuming it's caused by DT? Usually, if something is going to go wrong with a program, it will happen right away, not a few days later. There has to be some other mitigating factor. Possibly another program or driver causing a conflict with DT or that DT is conflicting with. Have you installed any new programs or updated any drivers recently?

Mikon
15.11.2006, 21:19
Hi everybody.
The problem is caused by SPTD for sure. I deleted DT from Run registry key and rebooted in safe mode. Everything seemed ok until i browsed into compressed folder in explorer. At that point my computer hang. Well, not exactly: I still could move mouse cursor, and LED on keyboard responded to NumLock, but nothing beyond this.
All this happened to me after i installed some updates to WinXP from Microsoft. Before that i rebooted my computer several times (DS 4.0.6 with automount) and all was fine.
Lets hope for quick fix!

Entheogenic
15.11.2006, 22:02
No--I hadn't changed anything. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but this seems to be the norm. DT will work for several boot cycles then randomly (for those who will have problems) stop working. I know it was DT (well, SPTD), because disabling/deleting the driver allows the computer to boot. I've reverted to DT 3.7 with no problems, but it would be nice to use the newest version.

Entheogenic

Mikon
16.11.2006, 09:04
I fixed it!!
It was really simple.
1) Reboot in safe mode, press Escape when prompted about loading SPTD.SYS
2) Rename directory with images (i dont remember which one was mounted, so i renamed directory which contains all my images)
3) Reboot in normal mode
4) Turn off automount
5) Rename directory back

The problem in my case apparently was caused by automounting image in compressed NTFS directory. It seems that automounting is done by SPTD driver, not DT! When non-compressed image was automounted, reboots went fine. Upgrading to SPTD 1.35 doesnt change anything.

Copytrooper
16.11.2006, 10:46
The issue with NTFS compression will be fixed with upcoming SPTD layer version.

Entheogenic
17.11.2006, 20:11
That doesn't fix the issue for me--it still hangs even when it isn't automounting. I tried uninstalling DT and installing the new SPTD all on its own, and it still hangs.

Entheogenic

Blazkowicz
18.11.2006, 00:32
I tried uninstalling DT and installing the new SPTD all on its own, and it still hangs.

SPTD 1.37?

Entheogenic
18.11.2006, 08:34
Yes, the newest version that is linked to on the main DT page.

Entheogenic

danbrum26
19.11.2006, 20:11
I can confirm this.

Using 4.0.8 with SPTD1.37
Also tested using 4.0.6 with SPTD1.35

System will hang after windows XP bootscreen.

I have tried disabling 'automount' this has NO effect
I have tried disabling USB Legacy support, this has NO effect

i'm using a fresh install of windows XP SP2 with all autoupdates
my system is
GA-K8NXP-SLI (nforce4 socket 939 DDR)
AMD AthlonXP 64 3200+
Raid 0

The only way i could get my system back was to disable SPTD from the registry in safemode.
sometimes using 'last known configuration that worked' does work, but not always.
anyone not knowing how to edit the registry is buggered if this happens to them.

KillzoneNET
19.11.2006, 23:36
For the past two days, I had the same problem with my computer. At first I thought it was a virus. It'd get up to the welcome screen then just freeze the system up. Clicking on a user before it freezes up made it freeze up trying to load windows. I got rid of the welcome screen in safe mode and still the same result.

What lead me to believe it was a virus was because any scans that got in the area of the ISOs [where my downloads are too] or in Program Files [somewhere around where DT is installed] it would freeze up. Taking down all services and all start up programs got me into windows. But when it came to my virtual drives, it would freeze up. I couldn't even uninstall DT, it was really confusing. It wasn't until I stumbled into these forums looking up something totally unrelated on google did I find this thread with the same problems exactly.

My solution to the problem is to download the latest DT that came out just yesterday [4.0.8], run the installer, first uninstall DT when prompted [through the installer], reboot, install DT 4.0.8, and reboot again [uncheck automount just in case]. It now works fine again. Thankfully I found this out before I was forced to do a fresh install of windows.

archon810
20.11.2006, 04:55
Having the same problem with 4.06E and spd1.29. No go after boot screen which only started happening 3-4 weeks after I installed XP completely out of the blue. I narrowed it down to the logitech webcam that if unplugged lets me boot.

I wish somebody found a solution to this as things are getting ugly.

Copytrooper
20.11.2006, 11:29
The Logitech drivers are buggy as hell, be glad it doesn't BSOD all over the place. Better get rid of that crap.
Try v4.08 with SPTD layer v1.37 though.

danbrum26
20.11.2006, 12:02
Using 4.0.8 with SPTD1.37 and still have the same problems..

there is no chance of it being a virus as im using original CDs to create ISO which do work upon first install.. just as soon as you reboot... boom system hang! weather i have automount on or not, it makes no difference..

this is a critical bug somewhere.
as of now, ive stopped using deamon tools for the moment.. its not worth buggering up my system for.

FordPrefect
20.11.2006, 12:10
@Copytrooper: Do you refer to every Logitech driver or just the webcam driver?

danbrum26
20.11.2006, 17:21
Thankyou for the information on logitech drivers..

unpluging my logitech webcam stoped the hangs..

if i need to use it i can easily plug it in again after windows has loaded.

archon810
21.11.2006, 00:46
Thankyou for the information on logitech drivers..

unpluging my logitech webcam stoped the hangs..

if i need to use it i can easily plug it in again after windows has loaded.

That is true, but it's not a fix. It's a workaround.

Buggy or not, but the logitech drivers have never conflicted with any other software I have, especially to the point of not booting.

Upgrading to 4.08 with 1.37 didn't help.

stupid_browner
23.11.2006, 00:24
Okay, I have discovered I have an incompatible webcam. And while the work around would be great, mine is integrated in my laptop. Any brilliant ideas how to solve this problem when I can't just unplug the camera? Could I just disable it in the device manager?

vagosoft
23.11.2006, 00:48
First of all, sorry for my poor english

I have the same problem that all, and I don't know if is the same thing to you, buy my pc hangs in the login window when i install 4.06 or 4.08 version of D-tools

BUT, it start to work 10 minutes later if let.
At first, works slow, and when i see the task manager, it shows that d-tools uses about 99% of the CPU.

But over other lapsus of minutes, it finally start to work in normal form. Just like it takes a lot of time to set the virtual drives.

Uninstall or deactivate the SPTD is the only form to evade this (but obviously, D-tools stop to work), so i think the problem is in the mount of virtual drivers, y not in the mount of images.

my system is :
AMD sempron 2600+, winXP pro sp2 (spanish version)
512Mb RAM, MSI 6570E MotherBoard, Nvidia FX5200

thanks for reading ;)

Entheogenic
24.11.2006, 03:26
Any status on this problem? It seems to be a critical issue for a large number of users...

Entheogenic

Development
24.11.2006, 12:45
We do not know what the problem as we never could reproduce it. We specially bought and tested Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 with latest drivers from Logitech site - absolutely no booting problems no matter how you connect it.
So status is: "unknown".

archon810
25.11.2006, 02:14
We do not know what the problem as we never could reproduce it. We specially bought and tested Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 with latest drivers from Logitech site - absolutely no booting problems no matter how you connect it.
So status is: "unknown".

is there something one of us can run to help trace the error? I can reproduce this with no problem...

Development
25.11.2006, 16:31
First maybe good if you would provide as much info as possible about your hardware and software configuration: what devices present and what drivers are used etc.

FozZ
12.12.2006, 15:08
I can confirm this.
Using 4.0.8 with SPTD1.37
Also tested using 4.0.6 with SPTD1.35
System will hang after windows XP bootscreen.
I have tried disabling 'automount' this has NO effect
I have tried disabling USB Legacy support, this has NO effect
i'm using a fresh install of windows XP SP2 with all autoupdates
my system is
GA-K8NXP-SLI (nforce4 socket 939 DDR)
AMD AthlonXP 64 3200+
Raid 0
The only way i could get my system back was to disable SPTD from the registry in safemode.
sometimes using 'last known configuration that worked' does work, but not always.
anyone not knowing how to edit the registry is buggered if this happens to them.

I very recently formatted my PC, just got it all working again and then this problem starts for me. I can only assume that it is also Daemon Tools making it hang (I never get into Windows, system restore isn't working and neither is last known good config) as I haven't installed anything else since my last restart.

I have all the updates for Windows and my system is:

ASUS A8NE-FM
AMD 4200+ X2
1gb RAM (2x512 ddr400)
300gb Maxtor SATA HDD
ATI X800

I've tried turning off automount, uninstalling daemon, removing the sptd.sys and all that, so I'm praying that danbrum26 reads this and can let me know what they did to resolve the issue.

(I'm using 4.08 - the one available on the downloads page)

gbronzer
12.12.2006, 23:48
I've had the same problem described in the thread ever since 4.0 was released. I keep trying new versions, but nothing fixes it so I use 3.47. However, when I first discovered the issue, here's what I found.

DFI NForce 3 250
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2GB RAM
Pioneer DVD+RW
Plextor CD+RW
120GB SATA
250GB SATA
120 IDE

I boot to the SATA drives, but I found if I disconnected the IDE HD the system no longer hung on start-up. Connect it back and it hangs. So I figured that the SPTD got confused when both SATA and IDE drives were connected. To be fair, my motherboard thinks my SATA drives are removable drives which is stupid. Regardless, I didn't want to give up the drive space so I've lived without 4.0.

How many people having this issue have both SATA and IDE hard drives in their machine?

vos
21.12.2006, 17:50
Same problem here: I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000. Using (DT) Deamon Tools and have 1 SATA and 2 IDE HDD's. If I disconnect the two IDE HDD's Windows or unplug the Webcam boots fine.

Is it possible to completly remove DT to check if DT is the problem?

quirky9
21.12.2006, 21:46
My system also hangs with Logitec QuickCam Sphere MP and the latest drivers 10.4
I use a fresh Install of windows Xp Sp2 with only DiscJuggler 4.5 installed no other apps like AnyDVD Nero or VSO drivers

I can only use one at a time QuickCam or DT 4.08 if both are installed System hangs while booting 1-2 seconds before the desktop appears.

My hardware config:
Asus P5W with intel 975x chipset
2 IDE Drives DVD and DVD/RW
1 SATA II WD 250 GB

In my previous system with the same Webcam and DT 4.08 everything was working ok
I had 3 IDE Hard drives and 2 DVD roms

If there is something I can do to test or help let me know

Cenyan
22.12.2006, 04:38
yea i can defintently say that d-tools is the problem for the hang at XP boot issue. i've had the same problem since V4 been released. i only recently got a logitech fusion webcam though but i do have both sata and ide hard-drives installed and i'm not about to unplug the ides just to make d-tools v4 work. i don't see why the staff can't reproduce this problem. sounds like it is pretty annoying for a big group of people. i have tried the fixes.(uninstalling / reinstalling). it works fine for a couple of days or maybe a week then starts again. i'll go back to D tools V3 since i love the program so much

Soadzik
22.12.2006, 20:34
I solve this problem before updating my audigy drivers but now I start using RAID0 and again, windowsXP wont boot up..

I hope somebody will find the way to fix it :)

quirky9
27.12.2006, 12:09
My hardware config:
Asus P5W with intel 975x chipset
2 IDE Drives DVD and DVD/RW
1 SATA II WD 250 GB

Logitec QuickCam Sphere MP

SPTD 1.39 beta works ok with both DT 4.08 and Logitec webcam

Nice update... my best wishes to all DT crew.

Soadzik
29.12.2006, 07:12
Where did you get SPTD 1.39 beta ?

Soadzik
29.12.2006, 07:30
Nevermind ->http://disc-tools.com/download/sptdbeta<- LaTesT SPTD 1.39 beta :D

It really works! I can not belive it :rolleyes:

GOOD JOB!