PDA

View Full Version : How can I refer to the "mount point" in a .bat file?

MCSmarties
13.09.2006, 15:27
Hello everybody, first post here.

I would like to distribute a large archive by making an ISO image of it and mounting it with Daemon Tools.

I then write a .bat file to "install" that archive properly.

Here's my question: how can I "call" a file from within that mounted image in batch file?

Let me explain:
I mount the archive from my batch file with

daemon.exe -mount, 0 "<path>\image.iso"
The virtual drive # to which the image is mounted will of course vary for each computer (= first free drive letter)
Say I now want to access a particular file in that image.

<virtual drive>:\directory\file.exe
How can I "find" that file, eg. how can I specify in my batch file which path I need to use?
Is there a way to save the mount point <virtual drive> as a variable?

I know that I could just add an autorun.inf file to my archive
to launch a file but I only want this file to load at specific times, not each time I mount the archive in the future.

I also tried looking using the registry to extract that value
but couldn't figure it out...

Thanks for any help you can give!

PS: I would like a solution that works with Daemon Tools 3.47 if possible but if need be I will upgrade to the newest version.

MCSmarties
15.09.2006, 14:33
Anyone?

Is my post unclear or does nobody know?

I'd appreciate an answer... thanks!

MCSmarties
19.09.2006, 01:27
I found I could do the trick by using

for %%a in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%a:\<specific file in archive> set VIRTUALCD=%%a

then simply call use the %VIRTUALCD% variable to call the file(s)

It's not perfect - I must specify an uncommon filename to ensure
that it won't call the wrong drive but it will do.

I will just have to include a blank file with a really weird name in my archive!

Thanks for nothing guys, I'm overwhelmed by the friendly responses I got. :mad:
Maybe this will help somebody else as well.

Jito463
19.09.2006, 16:28
Would you prefer we all posted with "I don't know"? If we can't help you, what good does it do to post?

CLHatch
24.09.2006, 07:09
I found I could do the trick by using

for %%a in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%a:\<specific file in archive> set VIRTUALCD=%%a

then simply call use the %VIRTUALCD% variable to call the file(s)

It's not perfect - I must specify an uncommon filename to ensure
that it won't call the wrong drive but it will do.

I will just have to include a blank file with a really weird name in my archive!

Thanks for nothing guys, I'm overwhelmed by the friendly responses I got. :mad:
Maybe this will help somebody else as well.
First time I saw this, or I would have answered earlier... I've used a similar batch file as yours for other purposes, and it works, but if you don't want to bother with it, there is a much simpler way around the problem.

Just always use the same drive letter for the mounted drive (say, drive Z:). Of course, it wouldn't hurt to set an enviornment variable such as VIRTUALCD in case you need to change which drive you use, in case you can't use drive Z: on any one system (personally, I couldn't use Z:, because I always make Z: and Y: and my two optical drives, and start with W: and go down for my mounted drives... this way, I don't have as many headaches with drive lettering if I add or delete partitions later, especially on multi-boot systems).