Cannot Boot because of SPTD.sys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Boot because of SPTD.sys

Everything was working fine. Then the next morning i tried to boot up and it would only load the windows xp screen with the scroller then when the logon screen would come up it flashed twice then went blank. I tried loading in safe mode but doesnt work either. It says press esc. to cancel loading sptd.sys then flashes twice and goes black. I ran every system diagnostic and nothing was wrong. Wont even let me re-install xp. (which i dont want to do becuase i will lose all my files.) Im obviously not on that computer right now. I on an old one which doesnt have the same type of hard drive connectors to boot from this hard drive and fix the "error" by renaming the files which is what every forum is saying works.
    Can anyone help me?

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Kyle

Boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires Adminsitrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers folder and rename sptd.sys (e.g. to sptd.bak), then exit (reboot), and check if it helps.
    If you can get access to the registry you can also disable SPTD service, see this thread:
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Still...

Still doent work becuase windows cd wont boot becuase it cant find a hard drive. i cant figure it out. help please!!!

Comment

Can you post the specs of your computer?

Comment

I reinstalled the hard drive from a floppy and reformated it and it still says there is no hard drive but in bios it comes up as a 160Gb then the drives model # i dont get it. I have a friend who is an IT that has it right now and wil look at it but he says he thinks it could be fried but the diagnostic says all sectors are fine and all 160 gb are there.

160GB seagate barracuda hard drive.
          2.99 Ghz proc. Pent. 4
          The system itself is a Dell Dimension 8400
          It has a soundblaster 24bit card
          It has symantec/norton i/s 2006 if that has anything to do with it.
          that is really all i can remember since i cant load anything
          it has a c-rw and a dvd-rw drives with floppy.

Comment

Well, if you're dealing with this problem outside of Windows then it is definitely not SPTD that's the problem. If your friend can't figure it out, I'd recommend taking it to a computer repair shop and have it diagnosed.

Comment

Thanks

Yeah your probably right. It was sptd.sys that started the whole thing though. once i get everything looked at i will post what was wrong here so anyone else who has the problem wont have go through what i did!
              anyway thanks.
              look back in a few days!!

Comment

Working...
              X