PDA

View Full Version : Just tried 4.0.6 on Vista 5728

DarkJC
26.09.2006, 02:09
Installs and everything appears to work fine, except for some reason a drive letter cannot be assigned. I try to change the drive letter, and I get the error message: Unable to set new drive letter.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any threads relating to Vista problems with the new version of DT, so if something like this thread already exists feel free to publicly humiliate me etc etc.

Andareed
26.09.2006, 02:58
cdrom.sys is broken in build 5728. DAEMON Tools works fine in 5600 though. You can try to copy cdrom.sys from build 5600 and that should fix the problem.

mentalinc
26.09.2006, 08:55
Would it be possible to provide a link to the Build 5600 cdrom.sys file?

I had updated to 5728 before the new Daemon Tools were released.

Its not possible to get it of the DVD as it is inside a file taht requires connect beta software to extract it.

thanks
Mentalinc

SLAM-ER
26.09.2006, 10:12
I am having the same problem, has anyone tried the CDROM.SYS from Vista RC1 build 5600 on the new 5728 build? I have already upgraded to 5728 and cannot find that file on my build 5600 DVD and am not keen on reinstalling 5600 just to copy one file. Maybe someone has a link to that file so I can download and test it?

FISKER_Q
26.09.2006, 10:40
cdrom.sys is broken in build 5728. DAEMON Tools works fine in 5600 though. You can try to copy cdrom.sys from build 5600 and that should fix the problem.
One thing that boggles my mind is that i also have a "problem with cdrom.sys"

However the problem is "fixed" if i start Safe Mode, and it's the same behavior regardless if i'm using 5600 or 5728. When in normal mode it just won't start the drive, but in Safe-mode it works fine.

Any idea on that?

FISKER_Q
26.09.2006, 10:52
I am having the same problem, has anyone tried the CDROM.SYS from Vista RC1 build 5600 on the new 5728 build? I have already upgraded to 5728 and cannot find that file on my build 5600 DVD and am not keen on reinstalling 5600 just to copy one file. Maybe someone has a link to that file so I can download and test it?

The installation files are compressed/encrypted so you need a unpacker or to get it from an already running installation.

Regardless though you should be stopped by the SFC and i had the exact same issues with 5600 and cdrom.sys as with 5728.

Fronter
26.09.2006, 11:56
5600_cdrom.sys (http://web.t-online.hu/leonsilv/cdrom.zip)

Rename the original cdrom.sys to cdrom.sys.old and paste the downloaded cdrom.sys.
Restart the system. Enjoy! ;)

Andareed
26.09.2006, 13:10
Above link is for x86 cdrom.sys. Make sure not to use it with x64 version of vista :)

Hanschke
26.09.2006, 13:12
i cannot boot in safe mode. pressing f8 vista told me i miss the ntloader missing from my mbr and under vista i cannot rename or replace. can someplease tell me an application which can do this`?

Fronter
26.09.2006, 13:34
i cannot boot in safe mode. pressing f8 vista told me i miss the ntloader missing from my mbr and under vista i cannot rename or replace. can someplease tell me an application which can do this`?

Not run in the safe mode. Run in the normal mode.
After the opretions, restart the system.

(Sorry my weakly english:rolleyes: )

Barman
26.09.2006, 13:52
Where did i must copy the postet file?

Hanschke
26.09.2006, 14:20
if u run the normal mode i cannot change the file :confused: i am admin. strange!

Arabern
26.09.2006, 14:42
The cdrom.sys file goes in \windows\system32\drivers

To rename to file you have to go to Properties of the file, Security, Advanced, Edit, and Ownership where you have to set yourself as the owner of the file.

After this you give yourself "Full control" over the file and THEN you can rename the file.

Still, after all this, I can't assign a drive letter. I pasted the build 5600-file, restarted, installed 4.0.6, restarted and it didn't work.

Pointblank187
26.09.2006, 14:44
if u run the normal mode i cannot change the file :confused: i am admin. strange!

You may need to turn off DEP (data execution prevention). Go to the cmd prompt and type in "Bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff" without quotes.

Should have edited but even with bcdedit on the cdrom.sys from 5728 gets copied back. You need to re-copy the 5600 cdrom.sys then restart after Daemon tools is installed.

After I did this I have no problems and I am able to change drive letters also.

Double check your cdrom.sys file and make sure it's dated 8/30 and not 9/17

Fronter
26.09.2006, 15:11
With the Total Commander in the Administrator mode!(Right click on the TC shortcut/Run as Administrator)

Rename the cdrom.sys file, in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ to the "cdrom.sys.old". And copy the downloaded file in this folder.
This is easy operation, don't hard. :)

Arabern
26.09.2006, 15:17
The cdrom.sys file goes in \windows\system32\drivers

To rename to file you have to go to Properties of the file, Security, Advanced, Edit, and Ownership where you have to set yourself as the owner of the file.

After this you give yourself "Full control" over the file and THEN you can rename the file.

Still, after all this, I can't assign a drive letter. I pasted the build 5600-file, restarted, installed 4.0.6, restarted and it didn't work.

subzero18m
26.09.2006, 15:46
can anyone upload the cdrom.sys for vista x64?

Hanschke
26.09.2006, 16:09
i cannot change owner settings. vista told me no permission. i have disabled dep too. what a stupid thing for me :(

[edit]

i use the admin account and there i can change it. ok now after a restart my dvd recorder is missing too.

[edit2]

so i have deinstalled the vdrive and my dvd and dtools. after reboot my drive was found with the cdrom.sys of build 5600. i install daemontools and restart my vista. after this the same think i cannot use it :(

younker
26.09.2006, 16:38
Yes, after replace cdrom.sys, I can't assign a driver letter to the mount point, from device manager, it saids the scsi cdrom can't start.

edit by admin: Please don't post more than once. The forums are moderated which is why your posts don't show up immediately.

Pointblank187
26.09.2006, 17:04
Even when I had turned off DEP it still copied over the 5728 file so I re-copied the 5600 cdrom.sys file after daemon tools was installed and it works.

jadedraverla
26.09.2006, 17:16
The cdrom.sys file posted by NewFrontier worked great for me on Vista 5728 x86. As many seem to be having problems, I'll try and explain what I did.

I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

If Windows detects different versions of the file in its repository and its Driver folder it may disable loading the driver or insist on loading the wrong version -- at least I guess that could be the problem. Hope this helps people get it working.

Also, it SHOULD be possible for someone to rar or zip their cdrom.inf_{string} folder from build 5600. This should make it possible for everyone to just go to their SCSI Cd-rom device in device manager, choose update driver, then point it wherever they extracted the older files. Much easier than the current method.

fiTz.
26.09.2006, 18:02
Same error as yours :D

lordfiSh
26.09.2006, 18:26
Can anyone plz post the cdrom.sys from Build 5600 64bit ?

obvious
26.09.2006, 20:20
Thanks jadedraverla. Method works fine here in 5728. I did add a takeown /f from an administrative command prompt just to be on the safe side.

AnalCobra
26.09.2006, 21:00
Can anyone plz post the cdrom.sys from Build 5600 64bit ?
Here it is, uploaded by Mystique (RC1 5600 x64):
http://rapidshare.de/files/34549463/cdrom.sys.rar

mentalinc
26.09.2006, 21:04
Remember to make sure you change the file in the vista windows directory.

I used search and instead of replacing it on Vista I accidently changed it on my dual boot XP partition.

Thank you very much to the person who uploaded the file.

now works pefectly

sfkilla23
26.09.2006, 23:07
Hi all, Thanks for the hints...
I put the cdrom.sys driver from 5600 and its all working now
Thanks a lot !

spoonerweb
27.09.2006, 01:32
Anyone get it to work under 64bit? I followed the instructions, but it keeps loading the 5728 driver. I can't seem to force it to load the 5600 driver.:mad: :confused:

jamesbond00769
27.09.2006, 02:02
I did everything possible to fix it. Put the 5600 xd.sys file in the windows system32 driver ,rename the original one as .old...disable dep..but nothing except to make my dvd-drive and dvd-rom not usable...what went wrong with me?:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

luckymonking
27.09.2006, 02:04
Here it is, uploaded by Mystique (RC1 5600 x64):
http://rapidshare.de/files/34549463/cdrom.sys.rar

I am vista x64 5728

I use this file to overwrite cdrom.sys of 5728,then restart,but both DT406 and my physics DVDrom not working~

all show as: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)":mad:

voodoo2006
27.09.2006, 03:35
The cdrom.sys file posted by NewFrontier worked great for me on Vista 5728 x86. As many seem to be having problems, I'll try and explain what I did.

I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

If Windows detects different versions of the file in its repository and its Driver folder it may disable loading the driver or insist on loading the wrong version -- at least I guess that could be the problem. Hope this helps people get it working.

Also, it SHOULD be possible for someone to rar or zip their cdrom.inf_{string} folder from build 5600. This should make it possible for everyone to just go to their SCSI Cd-rom device in device manager, choose update driver, then point it wherever they extracted the older files. Much easier than the current method.

You're a PRO my friend! I followed you and all is Ok now but...

I had to take ownership of the file "daemon.exe" and give "Everyone" administrator rights othewise Daemon Tools would'nt start. It would give a permission error. Also, if I try to change an option right clicking the icon in the taskbar like disable "Autostart" for instance, I get a registry permission deny error. If I start daemon.exe in Adinistrator mode (right click daemon.exe and click on "Run as administrator", I can then change options using right click on icon. I then try to find the software key in the registry to give myself Full control but didn't find it. Is it just me?

aka1nas
27.09.2006, 07:20
I grabbed the x64 version of the RC1 cdrom.sys, granted permissions where neccessary, and replaced the file in both of the locations. When I reboot, vista64 refuses to load cdrom.sys so I don't get any optical drives. Any ideas on what else to try?

Andareed
27.09.2006, 12:01
Windows will likely try to replace cdrom.sys with "correct" one. Using "update driver" method might circumvent this.

jamesbond00769
27.09.2006, 13:54
Windows will likely try to replace cdrom.sys with "correct" one. Using "update driver" method might circumvent this.
I am just like Aka1nas...does not load cdrom.sys file and my optical drives are not seen...try to update drivers in device manager...still the same...what is wrong with me...am I turning dumb-dumb???:confused: :confused: :mad:

jamesbond00769
27.09.2006, 14:11
I grabbed the x64 version of the RC1 cdrom.sys, granted permissions where neccessary, and replaced the file in both of the locations. When I reboot, vista64 refuses to load cdrom.sys so I don't get any optical drives. Any ideas on what else to try?
I am in the same thing then you....i on,y turn off dep after daemon install...could it be the problem??? also I just notice that there is no daemon folder in my program file and neither in the program installed list in control panel though it said that the installation was a success:confused: :mad: ....I am losing it!!!

aka1nas
27.09.2006, 21:41
According to Neowin.net, MS released a 5734 build to select testers today, so maybe they are aware of the issue.

fleggett
28.09.2006, 03:33
I, too, can confirm that Fronter's 5600 x86 cdrom.sys works fully with Vista build 5728. Fronter, you're a life-saver!

BTW, there's a much easier way to revert the file than changing ownerships and permissions and whatnot. On the Vista DVD, you can boot directly to a commandline. There, just replace the file in the two necessary directories (what I did).

Seems to work, in any case.

FnF
28.09.2006, 10:42
I made a bat file for the x86 edition:
http://rapidshare.de/files/34730184/cdrom_fix_vista_x86.rar
Make sure you run it in Administrator mode, this worked for me, so it should work for everyone :)
The original cdrom.sys is called cdrom_backup.sys and can be found in C:\windows\system32\drivers.

Andareed
28.09.2006, 12:37
I actually managed to integrate the old cdrom.sys in boot.wim and install.wim using imagex/wimfilter :) The new image-based installer is pretty sweet.

luckymonking
28.09.2006, 17:10
I actually managed to integrate the old cdrom.sys in boot.wim and install.wim using imagex/wimfilter :) The new image-based installer is pretty sweet.

dear andareed

when will you release the new version? and is it support 5728 x64?... i really hope...

thank you very much for your good DT.:D

IronMask
28.09.2006, 18:09
Please help me i'm use Total Commander and run this program as and administrator but i can't change C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys on cdrom.sys.old of course use Vista 5728 X86 :(

sfkilla23
28.09.2006, 19:00
Please help me i'm use Total Commander and run this program as and administrator but i can't change C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys on cdrom.sys.old of course use Vista 5728 X86 :(

Have you tried to get full control over the file?
Follow the guides ;)

IronMask
28.09.2006, 20:50
Have you tried to get full control over the file?
Follow the guides ;)

how get full control file ? :(

jadedraverla
28.09.2006, 20:57
Has anyone attempted rar'ing the entire cdrom.sys_inf{string} install folder I think that it would make it MUCH easier for those that are having problems replacing the files due to Windows security issues.

In any event, if you use the direction I posted further up in the thread it should work on 32-bit Vista 5728, but likely will fail on 64-bit Vista which is nealry impossible to mess with system-level drivers on.

sfkilla23
28.09.2006, 21:31
how get full control file ? :(

Follow this little summary guide on the link below ;)

IronMask
28.09.2006, 22:12
Follow this little summary guide on the link below ;)

In case you are unable to change or rename the cdrom.sys file because of permissions, this is how to get full control of the file:

- Right click on the file (cdrom.sys)
- Select properties/security/advanced/owner/edit/other users & groups
- Enter you user name or administrators ( now you are the owner of the file )
- After that you give yourself full control in permissions
- Than rename or change the file and reboot

how change this cdrom.sys safe or normal mode boot ?

TheMessiahNL
28.09.2006, 23:49
Can someone post there original 5728 cdrom.sys. I did forget to bacup mine :mad:

sfkilla23
29.09.2006, 01:51
In case you are unable to change or rename the cdrom.sys file because of permissions, this is how to get full control of the file:

- Right click on the file (cdrom.sys)
- Select properties/security/advanced/owner/edit/other users & groups
- Enter you user name or administrators ( now you are the owner of the file )
- After that you give yourself full control in permissions
- Than rename or change the file and reboot

haw change this cdrom.sys safe or normal mode boot ?

Don't need to do this in safe mode...it works in normal mode too, You need to be administrator ;)

brenix
29.09.2006, 03:38
hey everyone, i've had most of all these issues and am getting close. I went ahead and did exactly everything on that guide. And now it gets the device working properly, but I cannot install the drivers. It says the operation require and interactive window station. I've tried reinstalling Daemon-Tools and the drivers a few times and no luck. any suggestions??

Warboy
29.09.2006, 11:15
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

that whats i keep getting.

Hanschke
29.09.2006, 13:20
today a new problem. i have make a format of my c partition and install vista today. after the installation i use the admin login to change the cdrom.sys in my sys32\drivrs folder. after that i go to the Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository but there is no cdrom.sys.

i look in the device manager and see in other devices the drive and the proberties told me that it is ready but i have got a question mark and i cannot use it.

i have checked the cdrom.sys again and reboot but no solution. yes i am a super admin

jamesbond00769
29.09.2006, 17:35
today a new problem. i have make a format of my c partition and install vista today. after the installation i use the admin login to change the cdrom.sys in my sys32\drivrs folder. after that i go to the Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository but there is no cdrom.sys.

i look in the device manager and see in other devices the drive and the proberties told me that it is ready but i have got a question mark and i cannot use it.

i have checked the cdrom.sys again and reboot but no solution. yes i am a super admin
Same here.. it is normal after a clean install you won't find any file in the repository..as soon as you will create a resore point that file will be created....but that is not solving our common problen

lordfiSh
29.09.2006, 19:40
// english

(1) goto \Windows\System32\drivers
(2) rightclick cdrom.sys -> Properties -> goto the Secury and change Permissions to your User Account & User (yourcomputer\User) to Full Control
(3) rename the file to e.g. cdrom_backup.sys
(4) Take the old cdrom.sys form Windows Vista Build 5600

Download cdrom.sys : x64 (http://lordfish.team-wst.org/windowsunattended/dl/cdrom.sys_vista.vista.build.5600_x64.rar) (74kb) or x86 (http://lordfish.team-wst.org/windowsunattended/dl/cdrom.sys_vista.vista.build.5600_x84.zip) (35kb)

(5) install Daemon Tools (run as admin)
(6) restart your pc, if u have no D-Tools Drives and no phy Drives than :

(7) restart your PC, and press F8 befor Windows boots, use the "load drivers that are not signed/certified" Option to boot your Windows
(8) install/update D-Tools again with Run as Admin Funktion

look it works :

http://upload.team-wst.org/uploaden/d-tools_vista.jpg

// German

Ich hab folgendes gemacht

(1) Rechte der cdrom.sys geändert
(2) gegen die "alte" ausgetauscht
(3) neugestartet
(4) D-Tools installiert -> geht nicht -> Findet nicht mal mehr das Phy. CD Laufwerk
(5) Windows neustart, vor dem Booten von Windows F8 drücken, dann mit der Funktion "load drivers that are not signed/certified" booten
(6) D-Tools nochmal installieren (run as Admin)
(7) spaß haben

macmaj
29.09.2006, 22:27
hi
i 've done everything, i've replaced cdrom.sys, dt is working fine, but my dvd-rw is not working, its working as a normal dvd drive, i cant burn anything i cant erase dvdrw disc, when i tried to use the cdrom.sys form 5728 dvdburner is working fine but virtual drive is not working (code 10- device cannot start)

Alf_fr
29.09.2006, 22:43
Hi,

Thx Lordfish for your process.

But under Vista x64 5728, you can't modify the security settings of the cdrom.sys :mad:

You have first to take the ownership of the file

sfkilla23
29.09.2006, 22:56
hi
i 've done everything, i've replaced cdrom.sys, dt is working fine, but my dvd-rw is not working, its working as a normal dvd drive, i cant burn anything i cant erase dvdrw disc, when i tried to use the cdrom.sys form 5728 dvdburner is working fine but virtual drive is not working (code 10- device cannot start)

You need to change the cdrom.sys file after you installed daemon tolls 4.06HE successfully. Everytime you install a new virtual drive, windows will update this cdrom.sys file and none of the virtual drives will be working again.
I personnaly installed daemon tools 4.06 successfully, than i installed alcohol120% latest successfully and only after that i took the ownership of the file and changed it. This is on a x86 32bit build 5728.

How is you dvd writer showed in the "my computer" explorer?
Mine it says dvd-rw drive.

Hope it helps a little ;)

macmaj
29.09.2006, 23:03
i've install dt and i hade code 10, then i replaced cdrom.sys and after that dt works fine, but i cant burn with my dvdrw, and the funny thing is that in "my computer" is showing dvdrw drive with dvdrw+ disc inside but i cant burn or erase

sfkilla23
29.09.2006, 23:23
i've install dt and i hade code 10, then i replaced cdrom.sys and after that dt works fine, but i cant burn with my dvdrw, and the funny thing is that in "my computer" is showing dvdrw drive with dvdrw+ disc inside but i cant burn or erase

Mine is all ok....
Check this ...i'm erazing a dvd-rw
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/pity233/DT5728DThumb.png (http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/pity233/DT5728DT.png)

I guess your burner must be ok & working in 5600?
Have you tried this?
1-shutdown your pc
2-unplug your burner
3-start pc (play 5min or so)
4-shutdown again
5-plug burner back in
6-start pc again and check after that if any change.

Its just that i've been playing with mine like this (because of starforce off course) but maybe it why mine is working.
Good luck ;)

macmaj
29.09.2006, 23:51
i dowloaded dvd decrypter and i was able to erase dvdrw disk, but still i have no idea how to burn dvd's , i had "burn" option in windows explorer but now is gone, and when i tried to double click on my dvdrw drive it says please insert disk into dvd rw drive or windows cannot access this disc the disc might be corrupt/unformatted(blank dvd disk is inside)

macmaj
30.09.2006, 02:47
thanks! now its working, still in explorer there is no burn/erase but nero 7.2.7.0 saw my burner and its burning:)

Alf_fr
01.10.2006, 14:00
Quite, I was quite to make DT works on my X64 build 5728.

Following all the advices, I managed to install DT 4.06.
But i can't choose a letter for the drive and in the device manager, I got error 10 for the virtual drive. I've tried to re-install cdrom.sys but no changes.

Any clue ?

creighton1
01.10.2006, 15:04
// english

(1) goto \Windows\System32\drivers
(2) rightclick cdrom.sys -> Properties -> goto the Secury and change Permissions to your User Account & User (yourcomputer\User) to Full Control
(3) rename the file to e.g. cdrom_backup.sys
(4) Take the old cdrom.sys form Windows Vista Build 5600

Download cdrom.sys : x64 (http://lordfish.team-wst.org/windowsunattended/dl/cdrom.sys_vista.vista.build.5600_x64.rar) (74kb) or x86 (http://lordfish.team-wst.org/windowsunattended/dl/cdrom.sys_vista.vista.build.5600_x84.zip) (35kb)

(5) install Daemon Tools (run as admin)
(6) restart your pc, if u have no D-Tools Drives and no phy Drives than :

(7) restart your PC, and press F8 befor Windows boots, use the "load drivers that are not signed/certified" Option to boot your Windows
(8) install/update D-Tools again with Run as Admin Funktion

look it works :

http://upload.team-wst.org/uploaden/d-tools_vista.jpg

// German

Ich hab folgendes gemacht

(1) Rechte der cdrom.sys geändert
(2) gegen die "alte" ausgetauscht
(3) neugestartet
(4) D-Tools installiert -> geht nicht -> Findet nicht mal mehr das Phy. CD Laufwerk
(5) Windows neustart, vor dem Booten von Windows F8 drücken, dann mit der Funktion "load drivers that are not signed/certified" booten
(6) D-Tools nochmal installieren (run as Admin)
(7) spaß haben

Using RC1 x64 Build 5728:

This method seems to work fine as long as long as you boot each time using F8 and "load drivers that are not signed/certified", however when booting without that option I still lose my physical drives and virtual drives if I use the 5600 version of cdrom.sys. Is there any method to get this to work without having to boot with F8 every time?

^Timo^
02.10.2006, 12:31
Using RC1 x64 Build 5728:

This method seems to work fine as long as long as you boot each time using F8 and "load drivers that are not signed/certified", however when booting without that option I still lose my physical drives and virtual drives if I use the 5600 version of cdrom.sys. Is there any method to get this to work without having to boot with F8 every time?

I have tryed and it won't work
if you update/reinstall d-tools the program gives alot of errors
won't install it again must i close d-tools first ???
:confused:

^Timo^
02.10.2006, 12:38
I have tryed it but it won't work
can't assign virtual drive letter and drive
i used vista build 5728 x64
and i have done excacly what's Originally Posted by lordfiSh
does someone know a trick to let it work on x64 what should be the problem
does someone have the *.inf file from vista build 5600 x64 so i can install it from the inf file :D

Development
02.10.2006, 14:13
Next DT version will be compatible with 5728 as is.

Warboy
03.10.2006, 09:38
Next DT version will be compatible with 5728 as is.
And when is that going to be released?

Copytrooper
03.10.2006, 10:07
When it's done.

sfkilla23
03.10.2006, 20:47
I hope you guys wait untill RC2.... which is coming out this friday... it will be the last build before RTM. It will be Vista 5743. Stay tuned ;)

FnF
04.10.2006, 14:55
I hope you guys wait untill RC2.... which is coming out this friday... it will be the last build before RTM. It will be Vista 5743. Stay tuned ;)
Microsoft might change the buildnummer, you never know, RC1 was expected to be a different build as well. But, I'm looking very forward to see a new Vista build, 5728 was the old one, and if it really is 5743, there can't be much done, since the versionnumber is not that much difference. I still expect a late RC2 build, like I already said before, and then the RTM. I was also informed that the RTM might be in 6000, so then there might be lots of work to do, or already done, but not released as/in RC version.

TheMessiahNL
04.10.2006, 20:08
Is it possible for someone to upload their 5728 original cdrom.sys 32 bit? I didn't backup mine, and my dvdburner is not working :(

edit by admin: Please dont't post more than once. the forum are moderated, which is why your post's dont't up immediately.

Alf_fr
05.10.2006, 00:16
OK, I made it work on my x64 b5728.

Here's how:
1 copy the cdrom.sys from a b5600 x64 (first you have to take the ownership of the cdrom.sys in the drivers directory, and give Users all permissions.
2 Install Daemon Tools
3 Restart and F8 -> allow unsigned driver
4 Finish install
5 Add 1 or more drive
6 Make step 1 again
7 Restart and F8 -> allow unsigned driver

If you add another drive make step 1 and 7 again
Everytime you start, you should allow unsigned driver (I didn't manage to make this automatic even by using bcdedit)

That will help me waiting for next version of DT !

By the way, it seems that the b5728 is the last version that will be given to everyone. Next one will be only for msdn customers.

Andareed
05.10.2006, 00:25
Latest build available to TAP is 5734, and 5744-ish should be out on Friday to "general public" and connect. After that there probably won't be any more connect/public betas but TAP might still get a build or two.

FnF
05.10.2006, 06:56
Microsoft might change the buildnummer, you never know, RC1 was expected to be a different build as well. But, I'm looking very forward to see a new Vista build, 5728 was the old one, and if it really is 5743, there can't be much done, since the versionnumber is not that much difference. I still expect a late RC2 build, like I already said before, and then the RTM. I was also informed that the RTM might be in 6000, so then there might be lots of work to do, or already done, but not released as/in RC version.
See, it will be 5744, just got the RC2.pdf file :)

Latest build available to TAP is 5734, and 5744-ish should be out on Friday to "general public" and connect. After that there probably won't be any more connect/public betas but TAP might still get a build or two.
There will probably be a late-RC2 build and a pre-RTM build. But there is not much time left, so we might see a build in the middle as well, just 1 between RC2 and RTM.

sfkilla23
07.10.2006, 02:33
Yes..... its all good....

Latest Daemon 4.06he works without any problem with latest vista RC2 5744 x86 32bit
Finally all comes out good ;)

Pyr0
07.10.2006, 05:50
seems to be working in the x64 build too :)

Redheads
07.10.2006, 13:00
seems to be working in the x64 build too :)

Not seems to be working it works just tryed it

HuangGX
07.10.2006, 14:41

Latest Daemon 4.06he works without any problem with latest vista RC2 5744 x86 32bit

Hi sfkilla32

I have just tried out under my newly installed Vista 5744, it does NOT install!!

When I click on "accept" button, I received a dialogBox it said:
This program will install SCSI Pass Through Direct(SPTD) layer on your computer.
WARNING = SPTD is not compatible with kernel mode debuggers)SoftICE, WinDBG etc.)!
Please cancel setup if you plan to use kernel debugger on this machine.

I click OK, the dialogBox disappeared, the setup exit.
I click CANCEL, it is the same as I click OK.

Anybody can help me on this? What should I do?

Kankipappa
07.10.2006, 15:06

I upgraded to 5744 from 5728 and it doesn't seem to work at all. It doesn't want to install this SCSI driver at all, just like when the 5536 build was released.

Anyone else got the latest daemon tools working at all on 5744? If everyone else got it working, then it must be the upgrade install :/

Andareed
07.10.2006, 16:25
Upgrading OS while sptd is installed will likely fail. I suggest you now uninstall sptd (download standalone sptdinst, run then click uninstall/remove) and reboot. Then remove sptd services key (HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd), and reboot again. Then try installing latest sptd (or just run latest dt setup).

Redheads
07.10.2006, 16:54
Running the rc2 5744 64b clean install format the drive before installing and DT4.06he 64b works so must be upgrade that is causing the problem

HuangGX
07.10.2006, 17:00
Upgrading OS while sptd is installed will likely fail. I suggest you now uninstall sptd (download standalone sptdinst, run then click uninstall/remove) and reboot. Then remove sptd services key (HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd), and reboot again. Then try installing latest sptd (or just run latest dt setup).

I could not find sptd 1.28 standalone setup, only found 1.25. When I run it under cmd prompt like this: sptdinst.exe remove,
system respond: sptd not currently installed.

I then ran regedit, found the sptd register key and deleted it.

when I run DT4.06 setup again, it prompt a error message: failed to open service key.

what should I do with it?

sfkilla23
07.10.2006, 17:06
I upgraded to 5744 from 5728 and it doesn't seem to work at all. It doesn't want to install this SCSI driver at all, just like when the 5536 build was released.

Anyone else got the latest daemon tools working at all on 5744? If everyone else got it working, then it must be the upgrade install :/

I always said .... with all daemon & all windows... you should always install daemon tools on a freshly installed Os, at least when its new or in beta.

Also with vista, you should always be a full administrator (many topics on this on the net) or on my board....follow link

;)

erdoke
07.10.2006, 22:37
Same issue over here. Latest DT was working fine under 5728, but after upgrading to 5744 (RC2), I don't seem to be able to do anything to get it working. :(
OK, I know that a fresh install, but...

Kankipappa
08.10.2006, 01:07
I always said .... with all daemon & all windows... you should always install daemon tools on a freshly installed Os, at least when its new or in beta.

Also with vista, you should always be a full administrator (many topics on this on the net) or on my board....follow link

;)

Yeah well, it worked nicely from 5600 to 5728. Seems 5744 has more changes then. And yes i'm as "full administrator", i don't even use the annoying UAC.

I just wanted to upgrade as i hate the feeling that you need to reinstall some apps again and again... :D

i try those tips now though :p

Andareed
08.10.2006, 02:02
After you delete sptd key you should reboot.

erdoke
08.10.2006, 16:56
After you delete sptd key you should reboot.

Downloadable sptdinst_x86.exe v. 1.25 doesn't recognize installed sptd v. 1.29. Any chance of making available standalone SPTDinst v. 1.29? RC2 is the last public version of Vista before RTM, so no more upgrade. THX

Kankipappa
08.10.2006, 18:34
Got it!

I had to manually delete sptd.sys and sptddrv1.sys from System32\Drivers folder to get it to install the SCSI driver as daemon tools uninstall didn't work at all (missing files).

I removed the registry lines, although it didn't allow me to delete all the subfolders folders (when they were empty). After reboot it installed and now it's working after another reboot. :)

thanks

erdoke
09.10.2006, 08:54
Thank you, this way I succeded too!

semradj
12.10.2006, 20:09
I had to manually delete sptd.sys and sptddrv1.sys from System32\Drivers folder to get it to install the SCSI driver as daemon tools uninstall didn't work at all (missing files).

I removed the registry lines, although it didn't allow me to delete all the subfolders folders (when they were empty). After reboot it installed and now it's working after another reboot. :)

thanks

Hi, please how did you removed sptddrv1.sys file?
I had daemon tools v 4.06 installed on Vista RC1, then I updated system to Vista RC2.
When I tryed to uninstall DT, it writes error message, so I deleted it manualy.
Now I try almost everything what is written on this forum, but nothing helps. I see "System file write error" everytime, when I run installation.
I removed sptd.sys, keys from register, sptd from device manager (upnp device). Last file which is in system32\drivers is this sptddrv1.sys, but I can't delet it. I have admin rights, but it is imposible.

Btw: how to find which service or process is using this sptd drivers (sptddrv1.sys file)? I can't find it. Maybe it is the reason.

AnalCobra
12.10.2006, 22:35
ARe you using an antivirus or a firewall? disable them during the installation...
If its not working reread the thread and try the solutions again.

divxlover
18.10.2006, 17:14
Sorry to bother you guys, but after changing the cdrom.sys I experience exactly the opposite effect, my normal drives are gone.
And yes, stupid me, I didn't back up my original.

Who will be so kind as to help me get my original cdrom.sys back, I need the one for Vista X64 RC2 build 5744.

Thanx in advance for your kind help :rolleyes: