PDA

View Full Version : Vista 5744

mertner
07.10.2006, 05:12
Please post your experiences with Daemon Tools 4.0.6 and Vista RC2 (5744) here..

Myself? I just reinstalled RC1 (5600) because 5728 was too broken.. and would like to avoid repeating an upgrade if 5744 is just as bad! :rolleyes:

FordPrefect
07.10.2006, 11:32
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=13932&page=2

v_o_r_t_e_x
07.10.2006, 12:11
Installed Vista 5744

Started Daemon Tools Setup 4.06HE with Admin rights.
Setup startet... automatically reboot... started setup
again with admin rights... installed DT. finish :)

easy, isn't it?

btw: mounting images works of course!

sfkilla23
07.10.2006, 14:18
Installed Vista 5744

Started Daemon Tools Setup 4.06HE with Admin rights.
Setup startet... automatically reboot... started setup
again with admin rights... installed DT. finish :)

easy, isn't it?

btw: mounting images works of course!

already posted but...
Yes daemon 4.06he works 100% with latest 5744 x86 32bit

mtjoeng
07.10.2006, 14:27
Worked perfectly for me .. Thanks!

mertner
07.10.2006, 20:02
Thanks guys - I'll give 5744 a shot then :)

darkthunder
07.10.2006, 22:31
Daemon Tools works in 5744 build, and not 5728? Can I upgrade Vista from build 5728 to 5744?

ColdFire
08.10.2006, 10:05
Daemon Tools works in 5744 build, and not 5728? Can I upgrade Vista from build 5728 to 5744?

Yes. If you don't have RC2 (build 5744) yet: it's here (http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm)

FireLite
08.10.2006, 12:17
I can't seem to install it at all on RC2 5744... I start the installation program (as administrator)and get the SPTD warning, but after that nothing happens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dbl2010
08.10.2006, 17:53
I can't seem to install it at all on RC2 5744... I start the installation program (as administrator)and get the SPTD warning, but after that nothing happens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have same problem. It was working with Vista x64 RC1. Then I upgraded Vista x64 to RC2. Now it gives an error on startup:

Initialization error 0.
This program requires at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.28 or higher.
Kernel debugger must be activated.

So I thought upgrading Vista has overwritten some things so installing Daemon Tools again may fix. However I cant install Daemon Tools, because setup quits without a message after I click "OK" at SPTD install warning message. Also I cannot uninstall it since its uninstall information is somehow lost during Vista upgrade.

Alf_fr
08.10.2006, 18:30
On a fresh install of the x64 RC2, DT works great: no error message, no need to changes files.

Great job !

macmaj
08.10.2006, 19:02
I have same problem. It was working with Vista x64 RC1. Then I upgraded Vista x64 to RC2. Now it gives an error on startup:

Initialization error 0.

So I thought upgrading Vista has overwritten some things so installing Daemon Tools again may fix. However I cant install Daemon Tools, because setup quits without a message after I click "OK" at SPTD install warning message. Also I cannot uninstall it since its uninstall information is somehow lost during Vista upgrade.

1.try to delete file c:\widnows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys
2.reinstall dt

masterd7
08.10.2006, 20:33
I have the same error as Dbl2010 except I am using 5733 x86 32 bit.

I upgraded from Vista build 5728 to 5744. I already had Daemon Tools 4.06 installed but it did not give me the drive letters (refer to posts about 5728). I knew a new version of Vista was coming, so I did not bother trying any of the fixes in the other topic and just waited till 5744 came out. When I did the upgrade, I got the error message mentioned earlier.

Initialization error 0.

I tried reinstalling Daemon Tools 4.06 (as administrator) and get the SPTD warning, but after that nothing happens. Everytime I reboot the computer I get the Initialization error. I tried renaming the file c:\widnows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys
to sptd_old.sys as mentioned in the previous post and it still would not install (still starts the install process, get the warning then nothing). I tried rebooting after that, still got the initialization error message. In fact if i try and load daemon tools manually, i get the same error message. If I try to uninstall the tools it says "setup is unable to validate instalation."
Anybody who has any thoughts or help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

shigum
08.10.2006, 22:01
I upgraded from Media Center 2005 to RC1 and forgot to remove daemon tools 4.03 which is not compatible with build 5600. In any case, I had the same problem with removing and getting the newer version installed. Following the advice of this post, I removed the sptd.sys file. As well, a registry search found two references to it in the "last known good" section of the registry. I found them in:

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset001\services\sptd

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset002\services\sptd

I searched for "sptd.sys" to find them, and then deleted both values. Additionally, the initialization error can be removed by disabling the daemon tools from trying to load at logon with msconfig or a tool like autoruns from sysinternals.com.

After that, I rebooted the machine and ran daemon 4.06 setup with no issues.

Hope this is helpful.

masterd7
09.10.2006, 03:03
I upgraded from Media Center 2005 to RC1 and forgot to remove daemon tools 4.03 which is not compatible with build 5600. In any case, I had the same problem with removing and getting the newer version installed. Following the advice of this post, I removed the sptd.sys file. A well, a registry search found two references to it in the "last known good" section of the registry. I found them in:

I searched for "sptd.sys" to find them, and then deleted both values. Additionally, the initialization error can be removed by disabling the daemon tools from trying to load at logon with msconfig or a tool like autoruns from sysinternals.com.

After that, I rebooted the machine and ran daemon 4.06 setup with no issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you, that was very helpful. Works like a charm now.:)

shigum
09.10.2006, 09:45
Haha, after getting it to run on my system, I upgraded to build 5744. DT gave me the initialization error so I proceeded to do the same thing that I had done before to get it working. No go. This time around setup just says "You must reboot after previous operation". LOL.

And this time around, windows won't let me remove any of the registry values; it just tells me access denied when I attempt to remove. And rebooting into safe mode didn't work either.

Oh well, it gives me something else to get fixed in vista.

Copytrooper
09.10.2006, 10:16
Do NOT upgrade with Daemon Tools and SPTD layer installed!
To get it working now, you must remove SPTD layer, reboot, then delete SPTD key in registry Services hive (change/enable permissions of SPTD/cfg key if you get message of missing permissions), reboot, and then re-install.

doverton
09.10.2006, 12:53
I forgot to uninstall, so was in a bad shape. I found that even by taking control of the reg key I still could not delete it (owner, full permissions etc), however, by starting device manager (devmgmt.msc) and then view / show hidden devices, under the non-PNP devices was listed SPTD, which I uninstalled, rebooted and was then able to install DT. Finally, it all worked with RC2.

ttfn

David

LPC
09.10.2006, 13:49
Haha, after getting it to run on my system, I upgraded to build 5744. DT gave me the initialization error so I proceeded to do the same thing that I had done before to get it working. No go. This time around setup just says "You must reboot after previous operation". LOL.

And this time around, windows won't let me remove any of the registry values; it just tells me access denied when I attempt to remove. And rebooting into safe mode didn't work either.

Oh well, it gives me something else to get fixed in vista.
Got the exact same problem and unable to clear it. If you get anywhere please give me a yell :).

Copytrooper
09.10.2006, 14:16
I forgot to uninstall, so was in a bad shape. I found that even by taking control of the reg key I still could not delete it (owner, full permissions etc), however, by starting device manager (devmgmt.msc) and then view / show hidden devices, under the non-PNP devices was listed SPTD, which I uninstalled, rebooted and was then able to install DT. Finally, it all worked with RC2.

ttfn

David
Sure, if SPTD is still installed/running it protects its key against unauthorized access, thus you can not delete it, you must remove SPTD service first.

r0yalty
10.10.2006, 21:08
just upgraded my RC1 to RC2 build 5744, but now my old daemon installation wont run, cant even uninstall it.
So I downloaded the new 406 which is supposed to be working with Vista, but after clicking the I agree button in the installation I get the following message :

This program will install SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD) layer on your computer.
WARNING - SPTD is not compatible with kernel mode debuggers (SoftICE, WinDBG etc.)!
Please cancel setup if you plan to use kernel debugger on this machine.

I press OK and the installation just closes down..

I did upgraded Vista by having the RC2 iso mounted in daemon (which was working fine in RC1), can this have something to do with it?

sfkilla23
10.10.2006, 22:13
just upgraded my RC1 to RC2 build 5744, but now my old daemon installation wont run, cant even uninstall it.
So I downloaded the new 406 which is supposed to be working with Vista, but after clicking the I agree button in the installation I get the following message :

This program will install SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD) layer on your computer.
WARNING - SPTD is not compatible with kernel mode debuggers (SoftICE, WinDBG etc.)!

I did upgraded Vista by having the RC2 iso mounted in daemon (which was working fine in RC1), can this have something to do with it?

I told you the same story in another forum... Fresh install and you won't have any problems

r0yalty
10.10.2006, 22:18
I told you the same story in another forum... Fresh install and you won't have any problems

So youre telling me this problem have no solution?
exept reinstall

Andareed
11.10.2006, 02:07
There is a bug in the windows upgrade process that causes sptd to become deactivated. Sptd dev team is aware of issue and should hopefully have a fix soon.

A workaround is to delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd key, reboot, and reinstall dtools/sptd.

r0yalty
11.10.2006, 05:13
There is a bug in the windows upgrade process that causes sptd to become deactivated. Sptd dev team is aware of issue and should hopefully have a fix soon.

A workaround is to delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd key, reboot, and reinstall dtools/sptd.

I cant delete that key, it just sais : Cannot delete sptd: Error while deleting key

Copytrooper
11.10.2006, 09:42
Take a look on page 2 of this thread.

LPC
11.10.2006, 09:47
Anyone sussed an answer to the "You must reboot after previous operation" problem ?

enigmatai
11.10.2006, 15:58

Originally Posted by r0yalty

I did upgraded Vista by having the RC2 iso mounted in daemon (which was working fine in RC1), can this have something to do with it?"
ok im having the same issue and also the issue of not being able to uninstall or dtool or install it i fixed the error message and not it will let me run the install but now i get this message

tried everyhting everyone had suggested and now im just frusterated:(

if anyone has a salution nows the time llllloolllll

thats a laugh of frusteration (sigh)

Andareed
11.10.2006, 22:42
enigmatai, see my post above.

enigmatai
11.10.2006, 23:10

thanks Andareed iv read it it just doesnt seem to work so what now? do we just wait untill the sptd bug issue is resolved with vista? or am i not doing somehting right?

i dno but you guys a are awsom everyone here trys there best to help its real cool thanks in advance for any and all help time and consideration anyone here has to offer.

shigum
12.10.2006, 04:07
Anyone sussed an answer to the "You must reboot after previous operation" problem ?

Copytrooper had a FAQ that deals with this but i couldn't find the link to post here.

Anyway, I used regedit to remove a key from HKLM\Software. Under that area, there was a key at the top that was a long string of numbers and letters. I deleted it, and ran setup fine after that. Hopefully Copytrooper can post the link.

ionutz6
15.10.2006, 03:23
I have just installed a fresh copy of Vista RC2 (5744) on my Pentium x86 and DT4.0.6-x86 just returns error at installation:

Daemon Tools 4.06HE (32bit) - This platform is not supported.

Any advices, please?

Thanks

Jito463
16.10.2006, 04:53
If you get that error with the x86 installer, then you've obviously installed the x64 version of Vista. Try using the x64 installer for DTools. I guarantee it will work.

LPC
16.10.2006, 08:36
Copytrooper had a FAQ that deals with this but i couldn't find the link to post here.

Anyway, I used regedit to remove a key from HKLM\Software. Under that area, there was a key at the top that was a long string of numbers and letters. I deleted it, and ran setup fine after that. Hopefully Copytrooper can post the link.
No long numbers key under my Software Key still getting the same lovely error :(.

MikeDaSpike
16.10.2006, 19:51
hey

i was having the same problem as you people and just registered because i found a solution (at least to my problem)

- start vista in safe mode (you do that by pressing F8 right before widows starts loading)
- in safe mode make a search in the windows folder for "sptd"
- delete all files found by that search (after doing all mencioned in this thread i had a sptddrv.sys in the windows\system32\drivers folder)
- install daemon tools and check if it worked :)

notes: just deleting sptddrv.sys without going into safe mode might just do the trick, and also when searching if it doesnt find anything dont forget to make and advanced search and put a check on "include non-indexed files"

hope it helps someone :)

bye

Zak
16.10.2006, 23:01
The fix for "You must reboot after previous operation" is in this thread:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=11666

The long key to delete is:
HKeyLocalMachine\Software\19659239224e364682fa4baf 72c53ea4

Worked for me.

LPC
17.10.2006, 08:00
The fix for "You must reboot after previous operation" is in this thread:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=11666

The long key to delete is:
HKeyLocalMachine\Software\19659239224e364682fa4baf 72c53ea4

Worked for me.
Cheers for the reply but no key like that, I've searched the entire registry :(.

PapaTim
15.11.2006, 21:06
Deleting that key worked for me.
Needed to get this working so I can upgrade to RC2.
This reboot error has been plaguing me for some time.
No other fix worked.