Internet Bandwith Cheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Bandwith Cheating

I heard rumors that you can cheat the server at internet bandwith with a program. Has anyone heard of this?
    d-burner loging out

Why would you do that?

Comment

I'll assume you're referring to modifying your cable modem to appear as one of their routers to bypass the bandwidth cap. Just FYI, if they detect this (and most likely they will), you will not only have your account cancelled but they'll likely blacklist you from having an account with them again.

Comment

So it can be done but if I do this I would be detected
        d-burner loging out

Comment

I don't know if they would or not, but is it really worth taking the chance? Only you can determine the answer to that question.

Comment

Yes you're right it isn't worth tacking the chance
            thanks
            d-burner loging out

Comment

You can get busted for doing that, it used to be relatively easy...you could TFTP into the server that sends the configuration file to your modem which sets some of the limits. You could then edit the file (after decrypting it) and fool your modem into grabbing the edited file stored locally on your computer. I doubt that works anymore, but either way I wouldn't try it.

Comment

But is there any program that can cheat the cable modem or the server?
                example i am downloading with 1Mb/s and the moden(or server) would belive i am download with half the speed.
                d-burner loging out

Comment

not to my knowledge, broadband has come a long way. If there is a way to do it it's probably not going to happen with an easy to use program that magically fools your modem or the server. If there was such a program and everyone started using it, everyone connected through that provider would experience major bandwidth problems.

Comment

Bandwidth usage is usually counted by routers or (in case of big ISPs) especially for this purpose designed devices. There certainly is no way to fool those other than deliberately trying to exploit a vulnerability (which are VERY rare by the way). Such a manipulation would surely be detected soon though, and the legal repercussions would probably go into thousands of euros/dollars (not even counting the prison sentence).

So I'd advise you to not even try. Even the aforementioned TFTP trick (which is quite old and long since resolved BTW) can also lead to severe legal action against the user.

Comment

its not that you go into jail for it. But prepare to spend some
                      of your holiday-cash for the next 10 years. You also dont have
                      to waste time which game you can play in the next years.

The civil lawsuits will take care of your freetime-interests

It isn't worth all the hassle, and apart from this it is unfair for
                      everyone else that is connected through the very same provider.

Comment

Working...
                      X