The use of Daemon Tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of Daemon Tools.

It takes an idiot to miss that you do NOT support the distrubution of games, wares and movies. And that you strongly dislike that Daemon Tools is being used to unpack games. So what was Daemon Tools made for in the first place? Just curious.

It takes an idiot to miss that you do NOT support the distrubution of games, wares and movies.
    Judging by the amount of warez posts we get, it seems that many idiots vist here.

Daemon tools is intended to allow images to be emulated as cdroms. You can make backups of images through many tools such as alcohol 120, clonecd, blindwrite, etc...

Venom386 can maybe give you more info about origins of dtools.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andareed
      It takes an idiot to miss that you do NOT support the distrubution of games, wares and movies.
      Judging by the amount of warez posts we get, it seems that many idiots vist here.

Daemon tools is intended to allow images to be emulated as cdroms. You can make backups of images through many tools such as alcohol 120, clonecd, blindwrite, etc...

Venom386 can maybe give you more info about origins of dtools.

So I can use "Alcohol 120" to make, for an example, a back-up of my Windows XP CD-Rom and then via DAEMON Tools browse all the files on the CD without having to use the actual CD-Rom? I don't mean to be rude but it seems that it is perfect for wares. :-/

Comment

Hi,

for my part i use DT to emulate a physical cd-rom drive to avoid using the actual physical drive. My notebook for instance has a slot where i can mount the cd drive or a additional battery pack to get longer working time. So i use DT to get more time to work with my notebook without power supply.

Besides, i also use DT to copy my original game into an image on my hd and put the original cd back in the box and on the shelf. Its just extremely more comfortable to handle image files than shifting cds in and out the drive.

Regards,

Sloopy_DE
        Attention! - Please ignore this signature.

Comment

I don't mean to be rude but it seems that it is perfect for wares. :-/
          I don't wanna sound rude, too, but do you really think it's a good idea to forbid all knifes? They are perfectly designed to be a lethal weapon.

Or a Photocopier? Perfectly designed to copy authorized materials. Or Scanners. Or CD-Burners (Come on, did you really have enough material that doesn't fit on 3,5" Floppy? )

After all, it depends on the user itself(!) if a tool is dangerous or helpfull -
          A compiler can compile malware - but also such wonderfull things like
          Games, Applications, etc.

What you do with Daemon Tools is after all YOUR decision. But WE don't support Warez. And BTW: Only original Source supplies Daemon Tools with needed Signatures.

Think about it

Comment

Regardless, it's a powerful tool and it's helping people all over the world. It's a fine software and you should be proud.

LocutusofBorg:

I didn't mean that it should be forbidden, just that perhaps you should code som sort of "barrier" in it. For an ex; ban all watermarks (-DEV, -FLT, etc...). I don't know. It's just a thought. But as I said, damn fine software. Keep it up.

Comment

I didn't mean that it should be forbidden, just that perhaps you should code som sort of "barrier" in it. For an ex; ban all watermarks (-DEV, -FLT, etc...).
              :mrgreen:

Really, is this meant serious? Maybe then Plextor and liteon should
              change some code in CD-ROM/Burner Firmware, so nobody is able to burn
              such "watermarked" CD's.

I for myself didn't like such "TCPA"-Methods, we should leave such behaviour
              to Microsoft and other companys.

The Point is:

If someone use warez instead of PURCHASE the products he "need", then even a Copyprotection isn't able to easy persuade him. Moreover he hurt the
              companys which produce the software/games he want, it's like killing
              what you love. But after all, this is still a free world, we're not the
              "Software-NSA", if someone haven't enough sense to see the consequences of hurting companys,
              then I'm sure additional restrictions can't change his mind.
              The best we can offer is leave this guys alone, if any probs occur.
              We can discuss this endless as this problem is as old as commercial software
              is available. I'm not the youngest anymore, so I know what I'm talking :wink:

btw: I visited your page - seems that we like the same music you should add Velvet Acid Christ to your list (otherwise, give it a try) or Funker Vogt or Hocico

I hope you bought all the movies, otherwise it's the same like use warez - you know the DMCA, do you? :lol: :lol:

Comment

Going to see Hocico live in about 3 weeks. VAC is good but I still haven't found a CD with them in the town I live. It's almost impossible to get a hold of alternative music here. That's why I have to download mp3s.

Most movies are "back-ups" from my own DVD-collection. But by downloading different movies I've found tons of movies that I like. And I've bought a lot of them. So the compaines have made more money on me that way.

And I'm *beep*ed up tired so excuse my spelling. :-/

I'm not against the use of warez, as long as you buy the product if you find it useful. Which I do.

DMCA? o.O

Comment

Hi,

I registered just to answer this post.

Situation:
                  Mechanic garage
                  Mitchell1(software to reference domestic/import specs)
                  3 PCs(98/ME/XP) on Fast Ethernet network.

Mitchell1 sends out updates via DVDROM and CDROM.

Mechanic garages are dirty places, and mechanics are dirty people(on the job heh).
                  My customer didn't want to risk destroying the data from dirty hands, grimy desks, etc with switching media.

Daemon was the perfect solution!

If the authors lived in my city, I'd talk my customer into giving you guys a free tune up.

Thanks for a good product.
                  -= Sum ppl dun uze it f3r 1337 w@r3z r3az0nz =-

Comment

There we have it then. The use of Daemon Tools.

Comment

To add a further superb use of this software, I use it in quite a few schools where I support ICT.

I have 1 school with a whopping 60+ CD images sitting on a nice Linux server. Kids and CD's do not mix, as they get scratched, damaged etc etc. The school (and the others where DT is running) can use as many CD's as they want (legally licenced of course) without worrying about finding the disk, checking it isn't scratched etc etc.

All CD based apps can run transparently and almost instantly from shortcuts (I'm using an app called 'Launcher' written by a friend which mounts an image and runs the relavant app: see an earlier post in 'How I did it') given to students, and it makes teaching with the use of multimedia a much easier task.

Without DT, the only way to do this type of thing would be hugely expensive and would probably have a prohibitive cost. It's also often a lot cheaper to but a site licence for a CD app as opposed to buying a disc per machine it needs to run on.

Regards,

nry

Comment

Beautiful! This thread has really broaden my eyes to the use of DTools. Now I know what I can do with DT other than wares, games, and movies :p

Comment

Working...
                        X