Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major problems with NTFS-Compressed maxi images!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problems with NTFS-Compressed maxi images!

Short bug description: NTFS-Compressed maxi Images of Games cause daemon tools or the SPTD-Driver to lock up

How to reproduce: compress a working maxi image of a game with NTFS data Compression mount it in Dt V4.0.6 and reboot the system, the SPTD-Driver locks up then and causes daemon tools to freeze the whole system without a chance to reboot.i couldnt reboot the compter even if i didnt start daemon tools by the way so im pretty sure its the sptd driver

Details: I'm using DT 4.0.6 with the Sptd-driver 1.35 on winxp sp2. I made a maxi image (It's an empty clone full of 0 that compresses itself to a dox size.) of Nwn 2 to launch the game and compressed it with data compression to save disk space,i mounted it in Dt and after that rebooted the system and daemon tools froze my whole system if i tried to launch it, the SPTD-Driver didnt let me reboot my system so it was impossible to remove the image from daemon tools my only solution was to remove the SPTD-Driver with the registry method and restore a sytem backup,the maxi image worked fine after i removed the NTFS-Compression from it.
    Last edited by tet666; 07.11.2006, 14:13.

This hang does occur after reboot only? Does it also happen if you disable automount and re-mount the image manually after reboot? When exactly does the hang occur - during boot or when you actually start the game?
    Please send the image to support@daemon-tools.cc for analysis (RAR-packed - should be quite small?).
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
      This hang does occur after reboot only? Does it also happen if you disable automount and re-mount the image manually after reboot? When exactly does the hang occur - during boot or when you actually start the game?
      Please send the image to support@daemon-tools.cc for analysis (RAR-packed - should be quite small?).
      yes it only hangs after a reboot and it only happend if the compressed image was mounted so disabling automount should prevent it, it hangs if i try to start daemon, or the game i couldnt even uninstall daemon tools or reboot my pc as long as the sptd driver was running.i send the maxi image to the adress you providet its only 224kb.

Comment

Nothing arrived yet - did you send it already?
        Btw where is the image located (local hdd, pata, sata, raid, network etc., what exact controller)?
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Btw where is the image located (local hdd, pata, sata, raid, network etc., what exact controller)?

yeah well sorry i have some problems with my email provider it seem i cant send it sorry but its also on gamecopyworld now

its the poseden image. the image is located on a normal 120gb ide hdd on my via ide controller

Comment

I have the same problem I was just about to post a new thread ( I found this one ).

Umm for owners of NWN2 who wants fast boot time but don't want big images on their hard disk I believe their is a highly compressible image by poseden.

Now if you have this with NTFS compression and securerom emulation on and this is stored on a nvidia ( nforce 4 ) sata raid and you reboot it causes problem.

What seems to happen is after the image is mounted ( which doesn't happen automatically in safe mode I believe you have to run daemon tools.exe to do that ) file IO gets rather blocked but not completely. I.E. you can run CMD.exe from the task manager but as soon as you try to change drives CMD locks ups but you can type DIR and I think you can do echo 11>>1.txt. You can run regedit but no updates ever make it to disk ( which means you can't disable daemon tools ). Most programs you try to open up simple freeze exlporer freezes you can't terminate a frozen applications. Another possible thought is maybe it freezes on when the current working directory is change but thats just a guess.

Comment

I got same bug.
              I fortunately solved it, by going to safe mode and then deinstalling STPD driver (using same install exe). After proper rebooting reinstall the drivers if needed.

Comment

I seem to be having the exact same issue as tet here. The exact same solution fixes the problem, too. Unfortunately, though now I've got 10GB of files filled with 0's

Comment

i got a new Stpd driver from the support (sorry cqant give it to anyone elese so dont ask) it fixed this issue completely, it should be in the next update i think.

Comment

Awesome. I'd love to say goodbye to 10GB worth of 0's. Keep up the good work DT team, Duplex Secure.
                    Last edited by M4GIC; 11.11.2006, 22:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X