• Show
Clear All

• Registry Access Error

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
    Burning Software: <no>
    Anti-virus Software: AVG 6.0
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.41

When I change the language in D-Tools (to 1029: Czech);

localized error message is displayed ("Registry Access Error" in English). The language is successfully changed until D-Tools is restarted. After app. restar, D-Tools is in English again.

Thanks, Moski

PS: I'm logged as local administrator - I'm able to read from/write to the registry.

Language is controlled from this reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\DAEMON Tools-1033.

Try to manually edit/add this string value and change it to "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1029

Comment

Thanks, I locate the problem.
      The problem is that I have unchecked Autostart option, so HKLM\...\DAEMON Tools-1033 registry value does not exists. When is the Autostart option checked, registry value is created and languages switching works fine.
      Where the application saves emulation options state? Can't you save the laguage option in the same place?

Regards, Moski

Comment

If you disabled autostart then you should edit Daemon shortcut so it will always start with your language.

Comment

Of course, I'm stupid

Thanks and regards,
          Moski

Comment

how do u even check autostart... when i check autostart it says registry access error?

Comment

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
              Burning Software: Nero 7
              Anti-virus Software: Norton 2005
              DAEMON Tools Version: 4.08

When I change the language in D-Tools to Spanish an error message is displayed "Registry Access Error" (in Spanish or English according to change of language). The language is successfully changed until D-Tools is restarted. After app. restart, D-Tools is in English again. I'm logged as local administrator. I'm able to read from/write to the registry.

And Thanks to Moski for solution:
              Originally Posted by moski View Post
              Thanks, I locate the problem.
              The problem is that I have unchecked Autostart option, so HKLM\...\DAEMON Tools-1033 registry value does not exists. When is the Autostart option checked, registry value is created and languages switching works fine.
              Where the application saves emulation options state? Can't you save the laguage option in the same place?
              Regards, Moski
              :wink:

Comment

I faced the same problem yesterday ("Registry access error" when I change language) and found this explaination

Since I don't need to have DT loaded on every Windows start, I manually edited the desktop shortcut to add "-lang" option and it works fine but I don't understand why developers made it in this way

It's very far from be user-friendly also considering that a lot of novice users doesn't know how to edit a link in a shortcut to modify it...

I suggest, for the next version, to use a registry key in HKLM\Software\DaemonTools (or similar name) like all other software for Windows.
                As second option you can also use a .ini configuration file in the DT installation folder.
                As third option, if you already have a place where settings are stored (for example where DT stores emulation status) you could use the same place for language too

Hope you like my suggestions, let me know

Comment

The problem with that reg key, is that it provides an avenue of attack for CP makers. That's the whole reason why neither DTools nor Alcohol show up in the Add/Remove Programs list. Because it's one more way the CP makers can blacklist the programs.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                    The problem with that reg key, is that it provides an avenue of attack for CP makers. That's the whole reason why neither DTools nor Alcohol show up in the Add/Remove Programs list. Because it's one more way the CP makers can blacklist the programs.
                    Understood
                    Thanks for the explaination

So... is ini file in the program folder a good alternative solution to store settings?

P.S.
                    Where are emulation settings saved?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                      yeh but its hardly rocket science to get the program path from the process list... which is a much easier process.....
                      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Working...
                      X