PDA

View Full Version : UFO: Aftermath doesn't run with D-Tools

Ripperjack
23.10.2003, 12:46
G'day all,

I've just got my copy of UFO: Aftermath ( Purchased retail copy of course :lol: )
and I have just imaged the two CD's with BlindWrite 4.5 ( Not the V5.0 beta ). Anyway, the game will run with the play CD in the drive, however when I mount the play disk image with D-Tools the game fails to run. :?

I have checked Gamecopyworld.com, and it states that the game is Securom but it doesn't state the version.

I am running version 3.33 of D-Tools and version 1.2 of the game. As of yet I'm yet to try the new version of D-Tools, so I'll give that a go and see how it goes.

Is this a possible black listing issue? Any ideas on what to try next?

NetSoerfer
23.10.2003, 13:06
If you suspect it to be a blacklisting issue, first thing you ought to do is update to the newest version of Daemon-Tools (currently 3.41) which is probably not yet covered by the potential blacklist.

You might also want to try making a copy with Alcohol 120% - using the SecuROM *NEW v4 profile for reading & writing. It will however need Alcohol's or Daemon-Tools' RMPS emulation activated to be recognized as valid.

Andareed
23.10.2003, 16:49
More than likely, your image is patched with twinpeaks. Patched twinpeak copies won't run properly on the virtual drive.

Ripperjack
24.10.2003, 00:27
Thanks guys for the tips, however it still looks like a no go. :cry:

I tried the new version of Daemon tools, but the image still refuses to run with D-Tools 3.41

I guess the next step is to try Alcohol and see how that goes. With that idea, I have a few questions.

I've never used Alcohol before, mainly sticking with BlindWrite and Clone-CD, so how do I activate the Alcohol's or Daemon-Tools' RMPS emulation with Alcohol?

Also, is there any way to determine if the CD's are patched with twinpeaks? ClonyXXL 2.0.1.5 can't determine the copy protection.

BTW: I have found a NO-CD .EXE, but I'd rather use a virtual image of my game CD's, so I don't have to go hunting for cracks next time a new patch is released.

Speaking of ClonyXXL, I just went to their site and found a big skull on the main page, so I take it ClonyXXL is another victom of the German CD copy ban!

Andareed
24.10.2003, 00:56
If you go into alcohol's options, then emulation, you will see RMPS option. Just make and burn image using securom new 4.x datatype.

Ripperjack
24.10.2003, 04:45
If you go into alcohol's options, then emulation, you will see RMPS option. Just make and burn image using securom new 4.x datatype.

Cool. I'll give that a whirl and see how Alochol 120% performes over BlindWrite.

I'll get back to you with an update. :)

Ripperjack
25.10.2003, 03:59
Well after finally purchasing a copy of Alcohol 120%, I had high hopes of getting this game to work off an image. Boy was I wrong.

I used Alcohol 120% to create mages of both disks making sure that RMPS emulation was on, and that SecuROM *NEW v4 was selected as the imaging profile.

After the images were successfully created I attempted an install. To my horror I got the error message below, just at the point the disks needed to be changed...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chuett/webfolder/images/installerror.gif

... At least my BlindWrite images would install the game, allowing the disk swap at the right point!

I took a few moments and reinstalled the game with the BlindWrite images, and tried to run with the Alcohol 120% MDS file. It appeared to work, but then I realised that the patch was not installed. So after some further re-installations, I found this out with trial and error.

Version 1.0 = Both Alcohol and BlindWrite images worked.
Version 1.2 = Nothing worked.

Looks like that TwinPeaks thing's f***ed my game install compatibility with my virtual disk images.

So purchasing Alcohol 120% was a BIG FAT WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!! :x

Andareed
25.10.2003, 04:38
You should not attempt to mount a twinpeak patched image, as it will surely fail.

As for the patch, can you scan the exe with some protection scanner and report exact version?

LoneWolf
29.10.2003, 10:40
UFO: Aftermath 1.2 shows up as 4.85.07.0011 in SecuromID.

This is the american release of the game, as far as I can tell. Didn't have any luck in making a working image either, but I didn't try very hard (only tried with CloneCD).

If you guys want me to test something you know how to reach me. I'll be spending a bit of time playing this game, so I should be in a position to help out a bit once again :)

/LoneWolf