Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My solution to "Device error 41"

Hey guys,
    I found a solution to my 'Device error 41' and 'virtual scsi driver not detected' error so I thought i'd share it with you.
    Today i found out about the 4.08 release of DT but installing that did not solve my problem.
    Even after updating SPDT to 1.38 I still got the error.
    Then i remembered that DT stopped working after i did some testing with drivers from JMicron (the jraid drivers) which i removed because I don't have a RAID set anyway.
    I suspected that these drivers messed with the device driver setup of the generic Microsoft SCSI Miniport so I checked the jraid.inf file of the Jmicron drivers to see what the driver does during installation.
    The jraid driver messes with the following key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    there it inserts a Multi-String value called 'UpperFilters' with data that shows JGOGO in hex.
    I checked with a PC where DT is working and this UpperFIlters key was not there.
    In fact, a subkey '0000' with lots of values regarding Microsofts SCSI/RAID-hostcontroller was found here but not on my broken PC.
    So I removed the 'UpperFilters' key (after exporting the whole key ofcourse) and imported the complete key including the 0000 info, rebooted and..
    YES! it works :-)
    I do not claim that i know what i'm doing but so far it seems to work just fine.
    You can try the following but it's on your own risk!
    If you like a gamble try this:
    - go to the Class key showed above.
    - Does it show anything about SCSI- and RAID-Controllers? than you're okay. It's not? than i can not help you.
    - export the key to a .reg file.
    - cut and paste the text below and save it in a .reg file.
    - import and reboot.
    - Good luck!
    (The lines below starting with [HKEY.... are split in two but need to be one line, ending with ']' " )
    ----------------<cut here>--------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "LegacyAdapterDetection"=dword:00000000
    "Class"="SCSIAdapter"
    @="SCSI- en RAID-controllers"
    "Installer32"="SysSetup.Dll,ScsiClassInstaller "
    "Icon"="-10"
    "LegacyInfOption"="SCSI"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    "InfInstallSection"="NO_DRV"
    "InfPath"="pnpscsi.inf"
    "InfSection"="NO_DRV"
    "ProviderName"="Microsoft"
    "DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
    "DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
    "DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.2180"
    "MatchingDeviceId"="gen_scsiadapter"
    "DriverDesc"="SCSI/RAID-hostcontroller"
    ----------------<cut here>--------------
    Regards,
    Micha

Be very careful when mucking with the Registry. Doing the wrong thing can make your computer unbootable.

Comment

Can you post us link to these drivers so we check what they are doing?

Thank you for report.

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386 View Post
        Can you post us link to these drivers so we check what they are doing?
        Thank you for report.
        Here is the link:
        ftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc...63_1120700.zip
        these drivers are for my asus p5b-deluxe mainboard, to be precise the JBM363 controller:

My DVD writer is connected to the PATA interface on this controller so at first i thought i needed it. I ran into problems burning DVD's with Nero and found out that if i removed them my DVD drive worked alright and in the hardware manager the DVD writer was driven by a microsoft driver instead of jmicron's.
        But that's when daemon tools stopped working.
        the file where i traced the problem is called jraid_f.inf.

Comment

Strange, i did install this filter driver and did not experience any 41 error.

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386 View Post
            Strange, i did install this filter driver and did not experience any 41 error.
            i also did not at first, it began when i removed the driver because of issues with Nero like not being able to burn DVD+RW's

Comment

If you removed driver file WITHOUT fixing registry then this problem is obvious - it is rather bug of Windows which fails device start if some filter is not present, instead of just skipping it.

Comment

I removed the driver thru the uninstall option that i had in the programs menu, not by removing a file manually.
                Doing so i presumed that it restored my configuration but it didn't.

Comment

ok. so it just seems bug of their uninstall tool.

Comment

Working...
                  X