Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools 4.08 & Windows XP Media Center

Hi Everyone,

I'm a giant fan of Daemon Tools.. I've been using it since the early version 2.somethings. I recently purchased a new HP Pavilion m6750n computer loaded with Windows XP Media Center. I've been trying to load the new version of Daemon Tools onto it and come up with errors every time.

If I load the all-in-one file the system reboots and installs D-tools. I can continue on loading other software and have no issues until I turn the machine off. Once I do it won't boot again without going to safe mode and System Restoring back to BEFORE D-tools was installed. The System just sits there after the windows xp scroll bar screen. It goes black and normally about 8 seconds later the screen comes back to show the welcome screen. When d-tools is installed I just get the black screen with my HDD light flashing slowly.

I tried to load it with the STPD file first and that loads fine. I can even reboot without any issues but once I install the d-tools file again I get the same problems, just without the reboot first. I also tried to go back to an old version.. 3.something but that also has issues.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem? I love the Daemon tools program and the awx extensions. Makes for loading my ISO images a whole lot easier.

Thanks

Well just thought I'd update my progress with this issue. I did a little playing around last night and this morning with the SPTD file and the daemon tools file. I tried to do the start->run-> cmd thing.. and tried to use the sptd.exe add /Q command and then rebooted. I still have the same issues with the black screen that never comes up too the "welcome" window from XP.

So I went into safe mode and let the sptd file load during startup. Then I ran the cmd window again and did a spdt.exe remove and the system works fine again.

Conclusion is that something is wrong with the SPTD device driver... anyone have some suggestions on fixes or work arounds?

Comment

Ohhh and another update. I thought I would try to go back to the old daemon tools 3.47 version. I tried to install that just now and that one won't even finish the install process. It reboots the system about 7/8th thru the install bar. I again had to run the system restore and bump back too my previously saved working setup. *Shrugs* I have no idea what the issue is, if its with XP Media Center.. or if it just doesn't like the new HP computer. *Sighs*

Comment

I think the problems isnt caused by media center edition itself, because my sister has DT 4 running on their media center notebook. So it only can be an incompatibilty with your hardware or software which you have installed.
        Did you ever have DT installed on that PC?
        Make sure everything from DT is removed (see the manual remove threads in the common probs and solutions forum).
        Then try again installing DT 3.47. If its a prob with SPTD then DT 3.47 should work.
        Heaven Can Wait -- My Band-Page

Comment

Originally Posted by AnalCobra View Post
          I think the problems isnt caused by media center edition itself, because my sister has DT 4 running on their media center notebook. So it only can be an incompatibilty with your hardware or software which you have installed.
          Did you ever have DT installed on that PC?
          Make sure everything from DT is removed (see the manual remove threads in the common probs and solutions forum).
          Then try again installing DT 3.47. If its a prob with SPTD then DT 3.47 should work.

I think I finally got it working. I went out and returned my old HP m6750n system for a new HP m6774n system.. (E6400 processor and dual 200 gig hdd's)

Anyway, then after I loaded all my normal drivers. (Logitech Bluetooth, and Logitech Fusion Webcam) I loaded the DT 4.08 and came up with the same issue. Blank screen and I had to turn off the computer by the power pad, then turn it back on and go to last successful settings.

Well I was looking around on google for sptd and HP.. came across a website that had the OLD versions of sptd. I installed 1.35 of sptd.. rebooted and the system works just fine.

Then I installed the new daemon tools via the CMD prompt using the /S switch to skip the sptd check. Daemon mounted and everything works fine. Got 4 virtual drives.. W,X,Y, and Z.

My only complaint is that stupid adware thing.. is there a switch to disable installing that?? My Norton AV suite picked it up and told me to remove it, which I did. but incase I have to reinstall this system again I'd really like to skip installing adware on a brand new machine.

Comment

/S switch cannot skip SPTD check, it will still be installed - just reboot prompt not shown.
            Also new DT will not work with 1.35 - you must definitely have newer SPTD now.

Comment

Originally Posted by VeNoM386 View Post
              /S switch cannot skip SPTD check, it will still be installed - just reboot prompt not shown.
              Also new DT will not work with 1.35 - you must definitely have newer SPTD now.

Well actually it came up this morning (after some more updates from MS (like Frame network 2.0) and it wouldn't load. I had to go to safe mode and rename the sptd.sys file in C:\windows\system32\drivers to another name for the system to boot up regular. I'm going to try and find the DT version that matches the 1.35 of SPTD and see if it works.

Comment

Figured out that 1.35 sptd and DT version 4.0.6 are corresponding and installed accordingly. Soo far so good with 4.0.6HE I did however install the awx extension software for the new version of DT and system locks and hangs. Maybe I need the awd version for 4.0.6 least I'm getting closer

Comment

Working...
                X