No announcement yet.

DT 4.08 disables Vista's driver path!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT 4.08 disables Vista's driver path!!

By installing DT 4.08, it disables Vista's driver path - that is, if you plug in a eg. thumb drive, Vista is unable to find the built-in driver automatically. You have to point Vista to C:\Windows\System32...
    This is a very unfortunate effect! I am hoping someone is able to reverse this process, or at least tell us what registry key is needed to put Vista on the track again!
    Check this link for details: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=516422
    Check the 6th posting on the page, and notice he mention DT 4.08 at the end.
    - unhappy eLC...

Please, could one of the developers of Daemon Tools assist on this one?
    What does DT do that might disable Vista's driver path memory?

Comment

Having exactly the same problem! Everytime a new device installs I need to point it manually to the c:\windows\system32 folder for it to work. Even a simple thing as an usb mouse doesn't work. It seems to have been caused by daemon tools. This is the second time I encountered the issue. The last time I didn't even know the workaround / cause and frustratedely reinstalled windows vista, only to get my mouse to work!

Reinstalling does fix the problem, but I'd rather have a bit more subtle fix before applying this one again.. (though if one doesn't become available in the next few weeks, I fear I'll reinstall to fix it... )

Comment

I experienced the same problem and found the solution on another forum. Follow the steps below.
        Try this:
        Navigate to C:\windows\inf (substitute a different drive letter for
        whichever one your OS is installed on) and find the file infcache.1
        You will need to have windows set to show hidden and system files most
        likely. Since this is Vista, you also may need to go to the properties
        and permissions for the file and take full control. Once that is done,
        delete the file. Try reinstalling your device at that point and see if
        it works.
        Source

Comment

Thank you very much! This solved the problem for me as well!

Can this thread be stickified for other people?

Comment

Working...
          X