Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No drives in Vista Ultimate x86 with D.T 4.08HE

Hi there,
    I have been needin to mount a couple of images on my computer which has a recently installed Vista RTM Ultimate (6000) so i grabbed dtools which i was familiar with b4, and ran the latest version, but havent noticed any new virtual drives.... so i said ok, lets forget about that, tried Alcohol 120% trial and retail, to no success, and virtual clone drive, then magiciso, and finally reached the conclusion its something with the OS itself, so here r the steps i've tried to take so far, but with no success.

1- I updated the SPTD twice, now i'm at 1.40.

2- Uninstalled all the above listed software, and tried to install each again, individually, to no success as well.

3- I did try to update the driver for the SCSI CD/DVD listed on the device manager window (win key+pause, or run--->devmgmt.msc) u'd find under other devices the SCSI drive listed, and it says workin properly, but then its not, i cant see any drives in windows explorer... when u point to windows\inf, or windows\inf\cdrom.inf for an updated driver.. it just would say no driver to support this hardware ( i dont know if i should just edit the cdrom.inf, and add the product/vendor id for the SCSI u guys emulate or what)

4-i tried to add a drive letter in the properties menu on dtools, but it keeps givin me the message unable to apply new drive letter, or unable to create, something to that meaning (although it does remember the DVD region i select)

5- i tried to force a know DVD type on the emulator (i simply got the specs of my dvd on another computer, and typed those into the emulator, it did change on the dev manager, but still wouldnt install drivers for it!)

So anyway, i tried to load an iso, and it does load, and the more devices u ask dtools to emulate, the more u find listed under other devices in the device manager window but none of windows explorer!!!

so anyway, is there a way around this? nothing craches, no BSOD, everything appears normal, but nothing is actually

to sum it up:
    P4-2.8, 512MB, 160GB, CDRW
    Vista RTM 6000 Ultimate Aero enabled
    Dtools latest (downloaded today!)
    SPTD 1.40 (latests stable, i tried to get hold of the new beta, doesnt wanna download, keeps routing to the same page)
    Drives listed under other devices
    no drives in explorer, and error on trying to assign a drive letter!
    an "unknown device" also listed under other devices, that also doesnt want to accept the cdrom.inf as a definition file

sorry if this post is a bit too long, i just needed to give all the info to avoid presumed solutions which i have already covered

solution!

Ok, so i didnt know that the dt forums are fully moderated, so i thought i go back and try editing the cdrom.inf file, and this worked, so for u out there who cant get the drives listed in vista ultimate, here is a quick work around it (and should work for alcohol as well!!)

Step 1: run device manager

Step 2: double click the SCSI drive listed under "other devices" and i think the default for DTools is the NC2351N, anyway, it should be there

Step 3: click on the details tab, then in the drop down menu select "Hardware IDs", u'll get someinfo, the last line is GenCdrom, above that by a line, is SCSI\Nc2351_RG...etc, right click that, then select copy.

Step 4: open windows explorer, browse to system root%\inf, in lame terms, the c:\windows\inf most probably, and then click on cdrom.inf

Step 5: scroll down to the following section:

[cdrom_device.NTx86]
    ;;
    ;; if none of the above matched, then only cdrom.sys is required for this drive
    ;;
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormPIONEER_CD-WO_DR-R504X__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormSONY____CD-R___CDU920S__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormSONY____CD-R___CDU948S__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,GenCdRom

Step 6: modify it to something like that one:

[cdrom_device.NTx86]
    ;;
    ;; if none of the above matched, then only cdrom.sys is required for this drive
    ;;
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormPIONEER_CD-WO_DR-R504X__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormSONY____CD-R___CDU920S__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\WormSONY____CD-R___CDU948S__
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,SCSI\NC2351N_RGZ414A_________1
    %gencdrom_devdesc% = cdrom_install,GenCdRom

****in case u cant see it, there is a line just before the last with the drive hardware id****

Step 7: save cdrom.inf finally a simple step!

Step 8: back to device manager, click driver update for the drive listed under other devices, then tell it to look in windows\inf, or even to search on its own, windows will finally understand this is a cd drive, and ur up and running

ok, so i didnt try this for creating more than one drive, dont know if u need to add more line for more devices, but even if, shouldnt be a biggy!

thanks for daemon tools team for their great tool!

Comment

Did you run each program the first time with Administrator credentials? New logins - by default - are setup as Limited User instead of Administrator. To run as Administrator, you have to right-click on the shortcut and choose 'Run as', or log into the actual Administrator account.

Comment

This procedure didn't work for me

however, when I copied the modified cdrom.inf to another folder and also put the cdrom.sys (from system32\drivers) into that folder and then pointed the driver wizard to my own driver folder, I was able to install the cdrom drive!

Comment

I dunno why it didnt want to install right away from windows/inf but anyway, the procedure still works more or less, and maybe cuz when i was installin the drivers i told windows let me pick the folder, and i didnt just let it look online for update like it does... anyway, glad its working finally!

PS all the previous i did were in admin mode, with UAC disabled, i dont like M$ controlling what i do!

Comment

I tried many times but no result.

but this was working for me:
            Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

"Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems"

Comment

This can be cause u had installed roxio
              s easy cd creator or something before DT? i had this problem once on my XP b4, and had EMC installed, and had to go fix the upper and lower limit and some other files i think

Comment

Thank you Yehia.

My CD-rom drive also ended up under "Other devices"
                As someone else wrote I also had to copy cdrom.inf and cdrom.sys to another folder and point the installation to it.

Thanks again.

/Halwas

Comment

Your welcomed man, glad i could help!

Comment

Working...
                  X