Deamon Tools unusable on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 RC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deamon Tools unusable on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 RC

Hello, I had installed version 4.03 in my Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. It worked flawlessly until I decided to test out the new Service Pack 2 for Windows 2003 which is currently at Release Candidate status. After installing it, DT virtual CD-ROMs had no letters assigned to it. In MMC Disk Management section the drives were not present. The built-in ability to set letters via "Set device parameters..." dialog fails to set a letter with the error "Unable to set a new drive letter".

I uninstalled the 4.03 version and installed the 4.08 one. The error still remains.

Please investigate.

Install the drivers via device manager, point to cdrom.inf supplied by OS (in hidden Windows\Inf folder).
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but i cannot check it right now.
      Actually my physical CD-ROM got the same sympthoms - no entry in disk management, and thus no drive in My Computer. I just did not notice that on my first post. I searched through the logs and found out that I was running SP2 RC for at least two days. I played MS Flight Simlator 9 with the help of the mini image from gamecopyworld during these two days.
      The problem seems to be caused by something else besides DT, or requires some other piece of software to interact with DT components to manifest itself.

I uninstalled all the applications which use drivers to interact with the OS in some way (Partition Managers, Antiviral).
      That had no effect. I fired up autoruns and started to kill off the non MS drivers. After killing some driver(s) the system started crashing with BSOD on boot and no indication which drivers that was. I was impatient and killed several drivers at once

So I installed a parallel copy of Windows 2003 Standard, upgraded it with SP2 and immediatedly installed DT 4.08.
      Everything worked: physical CD-ROM and DT ones, so DT are not to be blamed (at least with clean install). After installing all hardware related drivers DT also worked fine.

I browsed through the list of stock drivers on newly installed Windows 2003 and I suspect that the missing driver that caused BSODs was Macrovision's secdrv.sys. It has Macrovision as a manufacturer in its Info Resource (file properties) and I thought that it was installed by a game and it turned out to from Microsoft in base Windows 2003 install....

Comment

Working...
      X