Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a laptop without a numeric keypad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a laptop without a numeric keypad...

I've got Final Fantasy VII running thanks to Daemon Tools and the Virtual Drive, yet for the actual gameplay it's not working. Looking thru the PC manual file it says the controls are of one of those numeric keypads that used to be on the right of a keyboard.

Well I'm using a laptop from 2004. It has enough memory, but I'm just wondering how do I enter the buttons without the numeric keypad? Are there other buttons to press that I don't know about? Or can I attach a old keyboard somehow to use that controls? If so, how would I do that?

Please reply ASAP as I want this game!

You probably have several options, actually. Most laptops have an Fn Key which, when pressed, activates the additional functions printed (often in blue) on your keyboard, like Shift or Alt Gr. Those functions are often printed in blue.

Look at the keys in the right half of the keyboard. Do some of the letter keys have numbers on them as well? For example, J has a 1, K 2, L 3, etc. If you press "Num" or "Num Lock" (for which you may need to press Fn as well), this "fake numpad" will be activated.

Additionally, you can use any USB keyboard instead of (or together with) your laptop's keyboard. Just attach it to any USB port and you're good to go. Maybe your laptop even has a PS-2 port which you could also use if you have a PS-2 keyboard.

Finally, there are external numpads available, they're like external keyboards with nothing but the numpad. Especially if you need to type a lot of numbers, one of those might be welcome.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Working...
    X