Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Secure Mode

Hi,
    I've read some other threads where people were asking to disable the Secure Mode programmatically for various reasons. I thought, if you don't want to let me decide whether to enable it or not (manually disabling it with each Windows boot is not really letting me decide), I can write a small tool that just clicks that menu item on each start. But the messages sent were cryptic, it doesn't seem you used the common way to handle menu commands in that case (WM_COMMAND), which seems obvious for a "security" thing.

But can somebody please explain to me what that Secure Mode is actually good for? The manual doesn't even mention it, it looks like that option isn't even there. The only situation when I can see an effect of it is when mounting images through the command line. I've made a small registry snippet that lets me mount and unmount .iso and .bin files through their Explorer context menu. Since I upgraded to D-Tools 4 recently, I always get that annoying message to confirm. I really can't see any security critical issue in invoking D-Tools through the commandline, the only thing I can do here is mounting and unmounting images, which I always want to do intentionally. And if some malicious application should ever run on my computer, it may be able to mount or unmount an image - wow, if it can do that, it can do anything anyway... So what's that all supposed to be? Why are you guys to fixed on not letting the user disabling that option forever? Is my computer at extreme risk when I disable it? Will the next web page I enter delete all my data? Will I get a spybot when I fetch my e-mails? When my virus scanner automatically reactivates on the next reboot, I can understand that. But a virus scanner is a totally different security class than an image mounting programme, to me. Some information would be good. Not just for me.

The SecureMode option (and all other options) should stay the way you wanted after reboot. Update to SPTD layer 1.43:
    Need to mount or create an image? DAEMON Tools software is here at your service. Choose from laconic Lite, powerful Ultra or old but gold Pro and try for free.

SecureMode was (unfortunately) required due to protection suckers disabling emulations and/or unmounting virtual drives as part of their protection. So if you want to face such stupidity disable SecureMode.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

No, the Secure Mode option is enabled every time I start Windows. I had to reboot regularly a few times today so I tested this. I disabled this option every time and after the reboot, it was enabled again.

I don't need any of the copy protection mechanisms, I don't use CDs or DVDs that have those "features", e.g. games or the like. I mostly use Daemon Tools to mount software CDs for installation, or Video DVDs to watch them. So that Secure Mode probably doesn't increase my security in any way but is only annoying.

Comment

Originally Posted by LonelyPixel View Post
        No, the Secure Mode option is enabled every time I start Windows. I had to reboot regularly a few times today so I tested this. I disabled this option every time and after the reboot, it was enabled again.
        Update SPTD layer and it should stay disabled.

Originally Posted by LonelyPixel View Post
        I don't need any of the copy protection mechanisms, I don't use CDs or DVDs that have those "features", e.g. games or the like. I mostly use Daemon Tools to mount software CDs for installation, or Video DVDs to watch them. So that Secure Mode probably doesn't increase my security in any way but is only annoying.
        That's why you can disable it, and with the latest SPTD layer version it should stay disabled after reboot.

Comment

Ah, that's what I also wanted to ask: What is that SPTD? I can't see what it should be good for, looking at the page you provided.

Comment

SPTD is an access layer similar to Microsoft's SPTI or Adaptec's ASPI, providing certain security features Daemon Tools uses since v4. Due to a bug in v1.39 the options were reset to installation defaults, thus you should update.

Comment

Working...
            X