• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STPD v1.43 and Nero Express 5.5

Anti-virus: AVG Free 7.5.467
    SPTD v1.43 (Daemon Tools 4.09.1)
    Nero Express 5.5.10.56 / InCD 4.3.23.2
    CD Burner XP Pro 3.0.116 (I do not have this software installed normally.)
    Backup My PC 6.0.0 (Veritas->Stomp->Migo Software)
    No EasyCD ever installed

Nero started to refuse to read discs that it had written previously. Attempting to verify a write would always fail instantly and attempting to import previous sessions would cause an instant "Read error. Possible corrupt disc." error. However, Windows would be able to read and copy the discs just fine and CD Burner XP Pro would have no problems with the discs either. Nero had been working fine for years before this and I found this problem quite a hassle as I use it alot with incremental data storage. (CD Burner XP Pro has a rather unwieldy interface for my uses and does some unpleasant things with really long file names. )

I don't run either Daemon Tools or Nero on a daily basis so it took me quite a bit of work to isolate the problem. After completely uninstalling SPTD v1.43 from the device manager, removing related entries from the registry, and deleting the SPTD.SYS file from WINNT/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS folder, Nero Express started behaving again. Reinstalling SPTD v1.43 caused the problem to immediately resurface. Updating to the beta version 1.45 of the STPD driver seems to have solved this particular problem. I also had no problem with v1.39.

Other notes:
    Completely removing InCD (drivers and registry) made no difference.
    StarForce and STEC3 drivers were found and removed, but appeared to make no difference.
    Some Roxio drivers of some sort appear to install with Windows Media Player 9, but this seemed not to relate to the problem.

My system is now happy again, but thought I'd post a bug report in case someone had similar problems.

I hope this doesn't double post. My session seems to have timed out for the first try.

Please check new SPTD beta driver and report if it solves the issue:
    Need to mount or create an image? DAEMON Tools software is here at your service. Choose from laconic Lite, powerful Ultra or old but gold Pro and try for free.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
    X