PDA

View Full Version : D-Tools or Daemon Tools Folder

jale
23.05.2007, 00:53
daemon.exe has been installed in the folder "Daemon Tools" in my Program folder, as expected.

For some reason, I have a key in my registry that doesn't want to recognize that: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Key:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value:DAEMON Tools-1033
Data:"C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

If I try to edit or remove that key to reflect the correct folder name Daemon Tools instead of D-Tools, it always revert back to that wrong information. There is no folder called D-Tools anywhere.

I uninstalled Daemon Tools to see if that goes away but it's still there. Somehow there in an active prograam/process that keeps writing that to my registry. Advanced Windows Care complains at each scan.

Any clue?

Copytrooper
23.05.2007, 15:00
Which Daemon Tools version do you use?
Latest version actually uses HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive to store autostart value, thus the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key should be either removed, or could be deleted without any problem.
Did you rename the Daemon Tools installation folder?

jale
23.05.2007, 15:34
I just installed the latest version 4.091. I had an older version (3?) installed before. I didn't change any folder name -- just the default installation. I'm not sure in which folder was the older one installed though.

I've tried to remove and delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Key with the wrong info but something on my system re-write it within seconds. A driver maybe?

Copytrooper
23.05.2007, 21:23
Seems there are some leftovers of previous version.
If you used v3.43-v3.47 before check thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum for manual removal procedure, reboot afterwards.

jale
29.05.2007, 15:48
Thanks, I had done that and still couldn't fix the issue.

But now, I found what the problem was: Ad-Watch was blocking the deletion of the old key in the registry. Sometimes, too much protection is not good...