StarForce protection on BIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarForce protection on BIA

Recently I got Brother in Arms: Earned in Blood for my PC, since it was in a bargain bin, I thought "Lets try it"... so I came home and tried to install it on my Vista PC... and it won't even start the damn setup

I've checked forums and they said it was because of the StarForce protection that wasn't compatible with Vista.. So how do I disable StarForce before installing o.o

I'm a complete nub when it c omes to this sort of thing, and I have no idea if this is in the right forum or not :P

You can't disable StarForce legally. Only when publisher release an update which removes StarForce.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Would it matter if I removed it? I bought the game legally in shop.. they can't tell me I'm doing something wrong?

Comment

Have you tried downloading the updated SF drivers from the Starforce website? I know the newer drivers are Vista compatible, so it may fix the problem you're encountering, though I'm not entirely sure.

As for removing the drivers, we cannot help you as it's illegal. Yes, even if you bought the game.

Comment

It says there is nothing to update

Comment

Originally Posted by Tyr3ll View Post
            It says there is nothing to update
            Try again, the drivers do exist and they do work with Vista.

The game you purchased was clearly sold before Vista was released ( bargin bin ). Even if it came out after Vista's release, the drivers would be a few months old.

Needless to say it should work if you force download the update

Comment

It's also very possible he's just out of luck. I - and many others - experienced the same problem with Splinter Cell 3 and XP Pro x64. Even when Starforce released compatible drivers for the OS, the game itself still wouldn't work because it hadn't been updated to include those drivers. Many had to turn to less-than-legal methods to play legal copies.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dark Phantom View Post
                Try again, the drivers do exist and they do work with Vista.
                The game you purchased was clearly sold before Vista was released ( bargin bin ). Even if it came out after Vista's release, the drivers would be a few months old.
                Needless to say it should work if you force download the update
                AFAIK, the drivers get installed when the game setup is ran, since I haven't installed a Vista game with StarForce protection yet, the drivers DO NOT exist on my PC yet. Hence, there is nothing to update, so it gives me that message. I'd need an installer just for StarForce then?

Or what did you mean with force the update?

Comment

Sorry I can't be of direct help, but try going to the BIA/Ubisoft forum here

There'll be more people who own BIA over there and probably others are experiencing the same problem you do. Also, someone official from Ubisoft might reply to you.

Comment

I'd like to add that its strange for Ubisoft to be using Starforce.... I thought Ubi dumped them AGES ago after many complaints and have used Securom since then?

Comment

Not really, it either came out before Ubisoft switched back to SecuROM, or they already had some license worked out with Starforce to include their CP. I'm pretty sure it's the former, though.

Comment

About Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility

Microsoft Beta Testers who want to play StarForce protected games under Microsoft Windows Vista Beta need to download a special driver update from:

The update has been tested by StarForce and Microsoft testers to work with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and other games.

StarForce drivers will be signed as soon as Microsoft launches the drivers digital signature program for Windows Vista.

Please visit our website for driver updates regularly or subscribe to our newsletter.
                        Also note that following your publishers news and updates may help solving compatibility issues.

Contact our support for more information support@star-force.com

Comment

Working...
                        X